Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
mines over 60k and its on the original box. ticking time bomb i suppose :smiley: 56plate 197 if it makes a difference

mines over 60k and its on the original box. ticking time bomb i suppose :smiley: 56plate 197 if it makes a difference

Thing is at 90+ miles you would expect things to start wearing out. Ive done 13,000 and is 2 years old...

You must have a good one lol

What exactly do you mean by crunching? Not going into gear?

Well it goes in gear but resists with grinding/crunching noise. Im not rushing gear change at all, it doesnt do it all the time thou.

Its not right, it should be like all the other smooth-positive-slick gears.

Just wondering, to all those that have had gearbox/synchro failures, do you heel & toe/rev match on down changes, or simply whack it into gear?

Just wondering, to all those that have had gearbox/synchro failures, do you heel & toe/rev match on down changes, or simply whack it into gear?

If revs are high i do but low revs i let clutch out slow. Wonder how many owners whack it in gear? Mind you, mrs still drives it and she doesnt blip or heel toe. Also the previous owner may have slammed gears down?

Do you think it would make a big difference to wear? (silly question, i am no mechanic thou)

Do you think it would make a big difference to wear? (silly question, i am no mechanic thou)

Well, from my understanding, the synchromesh in a gearbox merely ensures that the gears are synchronized at the same speeds before engagement, ie changing gear. This is explained in greater detail below:

[YOUTUBE]HlLHtnEVAi8[/YOUTUBE]

By matching the revs of the engine, you are reducing the amount of force exerted on the synchro when you change down a gear.

So, in effect, if the synchro in the 197/200 box is the weakpoint, it makes sense to limit the forces it is exposed to it as much as possible - to help prolong its lifespan.

Rev matching/heel & toe on downshifts will help with this greatly, especially when on track/driving hard at increased rpm - where the synchro will be taking the most punishment.

Well, from my understanding, the synchromesh in a gearbox merely ensures that the gears are synchronized at the same speeds before engagement, ie changing gear. This is explained in greater detail below:

[YOUTUBE]HlLHtnEVAi8[/YOUTUBE]

By matching the revs of the engine, you are reducing the amount of force exerted on the synchro when you change down a gear.

So, in effect, if the synchro in the 197/200 box is the weakpoint, it makes sense to limit the forces it is exposed to it as much as possible - to help prolong its lifespan.

Rev matching/heel & toe on downshifts will help with this greatly, especially when on track/driving hard at increased rpm - where the synchro will be taking the most punishment.

bang on the money! but.....you shouldnt have to do it if the synchro hubs are up to the job...just look at all the ctr out there and their gearboxes dont have issues!!!!

Does anyone know whether you can "force" a gearbox to go?

Is it still the same box in an F1?

i have always done heal and toe in all my cars, even diesels. mine is at the dealers being looked at and Renault UK are involved as its out of warranty and 20K miles, worst thing is ive had it 5 weeks

Mines in on monday to have a service ,mot and a look at the gearbox crunching at high revs in 4th i,m out of warranty too and have been quoted £2200 thats without a clutch and slave .

Have been in touch with ruk about and asked if it's the syncro gone if theres a chance of a contribution to help sort this common problem out as i took the car back to the dealer while still in warranty about 4th gear feeling different to the rest of the box which was ,and still is nice and smooth very annoying.

I suppose like anthing its how you treat it but does seem a weak part of the car.

Mines going in 2 weeks to have new clucth pedal and possible gearbox refurb or new? They had a brief test wed and said there is a problem but not sure what, they need the car for 3 days:worried:

Cant we as a club put any pressure on Renault regarding all these gearbox problems lucky so far with mine on a 56 reg no problems .
Some seem to get help some dont got to be the same for all in warranty or not ,
perhaps a nice letter to the motoring press...or even a rally somewhere to highlight it
threaten to get it into the news ...take petition to renault offices ???