Head unit only turns on when brake pedal depressed?

l33th3tr33

Paid Member
Hey guys, bit of an odd one here, I have a brand new (2 months old) alpine head unit and I fitted it, to find out that it only turns on when the brake pedal is depressed before starting the engine. as soon as you press the start button it turns off and won't turn back on. It worked perfectly literally days ago in my previous car, but it's got me stumped. I tried my old kenwood head unit and it works perfectly. Literally no problems, but I want the alpine in there as it has bluetooth etc...

Has anyone experienced this or do I need a different ISO cable? I did notice there is the secondary ISO cables as well as a third set, with an odd square connector block on each. The factory unit is the cabasse with the amp/brains under the seat.

I really want to get to the bottom of this or I'll be ripping out everything including the under seat bit and making a new wiring loom, which would be best but I don't see why I would need to.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

For anyone that may have this problem It turned out to be the wiring loom that came with the headunit. For some reason it worked fine in my old car but not with the clio.
The ground wire wasn't getting a tight enough connection with the loom plug so I bent the pin on the headunit out a bit so it fitted a bit tighter. All sorted now so make sure you wiggle all your wires to double check!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sevenfourate
Thanks for following up with this.

Always nice and may of course help someone else in the future.

Cheers.