Headlights info

Arch

Paid Member
Apologies in advance if this has been asked before had a search but can't see anything that answers this.

I have projector lights on my 2008 197. When I switch the dipped beam on everything works fine but when you switch them off the lights stay on until the ignition is switched off is this normal ? Can't see any logical reason why the lightsbwould work this way.

Have you done a major washing under the bonnet as I think you have a faulty relay or UPC the box to the right of the battery it normally controls the electrical switching possible water damage to it. Has the car got auto headlights / working cornering lights

Reactions: Arch
I think my wifes clio 1.6 does the same. Low beams only shut down when you open driver door?
Is that normal?

Reactions: Arch
Believe this is normal. In mine the lights stay on (sides, or dipped) when the engine is shut off and then only turn off when the door is opened. Opening the door seems to turn off all electrics.

Slightly differently though, if you turn the electrics on, but dont start the car, turn the lights on, then turn the electrics off and get out of the car, it will keep beeping to tell you the lights are on and doesn't seem to turn them off, even when you lock the doors. I've never experimented leaving it a while to see if they eventually turn off or not....

Have you done a major washing under the bonnet as I think you have a faulty relay or UPC the box to the right of the battery it normally controls the electrical switching possible water damage to it. Has the car got auto headlights / working cornering lights

I have had the battery surround out to change sidelight bulbs but I suspect this is the normal operation as my older lads 200 Cup does the same. The car does have fully functional cornering lights no idea if it has auto lights. I bought the car put it on my trailer and put in the garage to refurb all the brakes and suspension so I have not actually driven it, I noticed all this when I was checking everything getting it ready for an mot.

This is not really what I was getting at. If you turn the lights on with the car running the sidelights and dipped beam come on as you would expect. If you then turn them off at the stalk they do not go off, to get them off you need to switch the car off and turn the electrics off, then they go off. My query is purely relating to how they operate using the switch on the stalk.

Believe this is normal. In mine the lights stay on (sides, or dipped) when the engine is shut off and then only turn off when the door is opened. Opening the door seems to turn off all electrics.

Slightly differently though, if you turn the electrics on, but dont start the car, turn the lights on, then turn the electrics off and get out of the car, it will keep beeping to tell you the lights are on and doesn't seem to turn them off, even when you lock the doors. I've never experimented leaving it a while to see if they eventually turn off or not....

I have not had an issue with them not turning off

If the cars rear view mirror has a plastic enclosure around it then that's the automatic wiper and headlight system the lights come on automatically when it is dark enough from the light sensor. With the Renault clip you can see the stalk is giving the car the command to turn off the lights and if the car has functioning cornering lights then there is an extra lighting computer behind I think the passenger splash guards which control such functions. With the Clio 2 the automatic headlights were turned on and off from the stalk lighting switch by turning it on and of with just the ignition on twice within a second or two you would here a beep to confirm. What I'm trying to say is if your indoors and turn the ignition on the auto headlights may come on and will only turn off with the ignition the stalk does not have any say but I'm not sure about it as I don't have auto headlights.
upload_2018-3-20_18-11-41.png
upload_2018-3-20_18-12-49.png

Without rain auto headlights
upload_2018-3-20_18-15-37.png
upload_2018-3-20_18-16-12.png

Reactions: Micah
Thanks for all the info ref this, for a small hatchback they have a lot of electrickery lol.
Had a play and as Turkie said it has auto lights and that was the cause.

Reactions: Micah
Well that's a load off your mind I remember it with the 172 I drove up behind a car in traffic under a motorway bridge and as I pulled in behind the auto headlights turned on they got upset thinking I was flashing them. Also for MOT the 172 had a problem if you turned the headlights off and on real quick or sometimes stalled they would not come back on until they cooled about 15 to 20 sec so for MOT I had to disarm the auto headlights as they asked for full beam first then dipped after then back to full beam and to avoid problems I used the flasher first then turn the headlights on after so the bulb cooling was not a problem. You would find no lights then the right light would work then try again the left would only come on but if you waited the 15 -20 sec. both would come on every time. I guess that's why they aren't used for full beam.