Heater / Fan Speed Connector (pics inside)

CallorFold

Platinum Member
Ok so I finally made the time to remove the glovebox and take a look at this fan speed issue (fan speed not working on #2 and #4).

And found the following -

4uv4vc.jpg

2mg7gwi.jpg

So, it's definitely well and truly melted - which is what I pretty much expected to find. In order to fix this - does that connector block just need replacing?

I'm an absolute novice in electrics - do the cables just pull/push out of the existing block and place them into the new block? Is anything else likely to need replacing? Or just the block pictured?

Just thought I'd pop an update on this -

Managed to finally get down to local electrical garage yesterday and speak with them about it. They said would likely need new heater resistor and wiring connector. Asked me to leave it with them while they contact Renault and get a price. Had a call back a couple hours later and Renault wanted £100 for the part!! Garage said there might be another way to fix as long as the resistor is working ok, they could just solder and crimp some new wires/connector block on and asked me if I could take the glove box out again and they'd test it and see what they could do.

Went back this morning, they tested heater resistor and it was all working ok - phew!

An hour later, new wires/block had been sorted and the guy told me the way it had been wired up now would stop it arcing and melting the block again - result.

All in - £40, which I didn't think was too bad since they had the car for about an hour.

This happened on my old Clio SX 1.2, never got it fixed just left it as I sold it in the end but it's interesting to see, thanks for the info, glad you saved yourself a few quid

Another small update on this one - I've heard that often this issue of wires melting is due to excessive strain on the fan, caused by grubby pollen filters.

It seemed only fitting that now the fan speeds are fixed I should replace the filter with a fresh one -

eBay - £6.39 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crosland-...odel:Clio|Plat_Gen:MK+III&hash=item463f58c36e

This is how the old one looked (no idea how long it's been in there, but at minimum 10 months) ;

110zwxv.jpg

I don't suppose you can elaborate on what I'm looking for as though nothing was pulled out and where I need to feast my eyes? haha!