HELP! Fuel Flap Stuck!

i found that mine is ok..it just gets stuck in the hole so i made it bigger which cured it..

Ugh, it looks like the solenoid is gone, not looking forward to pricing a new one. I got it open in the end thanks to a cached google post. Basically there's no easy access release, you need to take off the interior panel that the right rear seat belt feeds through. it is the white one and comes off easily.

the text is below, I will attach some pics too.

"This happened to our 55 plate clio this weekend. And I felt compelled to join this forum to post a bit of useful/accurate "how to" information.

On our model, it a regular bog standard clio, there is no emergency release pulley or clip despite what the previous posts say. I phoned the renault dealership that sold us the car and they confirmed this.

It is possible however, as I discovered eventually, to squeeze ones hand onto a tiny element of the central locking solenoid that locks the fuel tank door if you unclip the trim around the rear A frame where the fuel door is situated.

On our clio (with the trim removed) we seem to have an airbag unit just the above the seat belt unit. To the right and very slightly up from the airbag gas canister it is possible to get ones hand in to a small gap (this will be directly above the fuel door. Here you can feel what seems to be the top of a small piston or plunger. This is the lock device for the fuel door which you can pull up. This should "manually release the fuel door and you can fill up and then sort the route cause of the problem.

DO NOT attempt to tear off the door, there is no way for it to come off without causing major damage despite what you may think.

Hope this helps

Vaz"
If you're still out there, thank you!! This worked for us

Attachments

• IMG_5142.PNG
    IMG_5142.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 134
Reactions: l33th3tr33
Ugh, it looks like the solenoid is gone, not looking forward to pricing a new one. I got it open in the end thanks to a cached google post. Basically there's no easy access release, you need to take off the interior panel that the right rear seat belt feeds through. it is the white one and comes off easily.

the text is below, I will attach some pics too.

"This happened to our 55 plate clio this weekend. And I felt compelled to join this forum to post a bit of useful/accurate "how to" information.

On our model, it a regular bog standard clio, there is no emergency release pulley or clip despite what the previous posts say. I phoned the renault dealership that sold us the car and they confirmed this.

It is possible however, as I discovered eventually, to squeeze ones hand onto a tiny element of the central locking solenoid that locks the fuel tank door if you unclip the trim around the rear A frame where the fuel door is situated.

On our clio (with the trim removed) we seem to have an airbag unit just the above the seat belt unit. To the right and very slightly up from the airbag gas canister it is possible to get ones hand in to a small gap (this will be directly above the fuel door. Here you can feel what seems to be the top of a small piston or plunger. This is the lock device for the fuel door which you can pull up. This should "manually release the fuel door and you can fill up and then sort the route cause of the problem.

DO NOT attempt to tear off the door, there is no way for it to come off without causing major damage despite what you may think.

Hope this helps

Vaz"
Johnrellis your pics help a great deal! It’s hide away and almost no way to see it! I just use my hand to feel everywhere until I feel the lever exactly like your pic. Salute to your extra effort to put up the pics!

Reactions: Big Ben
Hi John,

Your pics and info really helped. Managed to resolve this issue within 10 mins literally. Rang Renault and they said it might take a few hours to resolve and then we had to order parts. May need to leave the car over the weekend with them. I did as your pictures suggested. Removed the side covers, located the emergency release, opened the fuel cover, sprayed WD40 on the lock just in case and it is working perfectly. All up 10 mins. Thank you again.

Cheers mate. Saved me a ton.

Top man ...thanks for this .
My partner has an 11 plate mark 3
I had same problem ...got to fuel station to fill up and ended up driving home without getting fuel (and nearly empty) as fuel flap would not budge
Googled for help and found this write up
Got it open in 10 mins thanks to this brilliant write up ...pics really helped
Thank you

Fuel cap stuck on Renault Clio Mk III (05 onwards)

This mechanism is a piece of crap - and so is the way the body is put together, thus it's easy to get to the locking mechanism in an emergency:

1. There is NO pull ring mechanism in the inner trim or behind the parcel shelf.

2. The Outer door trim on the fuel cap is only held in place by 5 or 6 plastic slides. Pull panel gently towards you and slide it from RIGHT to LEFT (towards back of car). It should move without too much force.

3. You can now see the locking pin at the top of the inner fuel door. Use something long and thin to move it UP.

4. Put the trim back on ... it'll clip into place.

Sorted :smile: ... at least until the next time
I have a 2008 Clio which I don’t want to spend money on unnecessarily. There is no ring pull mechanism in the inner trim. The steps above therefore worked really well for me. Thank you.

This post - specifically the pictures on page 1 by johnrellis - got me out of a very tight spot this morning at the petrol station. THANK YOU!!!

I was able to open the flap by peeling back the carpet trim and feeling my way to the switch. Couldn’t have done it without the photos! Seems to be locking and unlocking normally again for now.

I had this about 6 weeks ago. Went to fill up on fumes and when I pulled up to the pump I couldn't get the door open. Limped home and Googled it. I've left the "arming pin" out so it doesn't lock with the car now. New solenoid required me thinks.

Had this on an away trip recently with car loaded up with track wheels! Not pleasant. New solenoid today

How difficult was it to fit a new solenoid? My one’s in for its MOT and the fuel flap’s stuck closed again :tearsofjoy:
Gave the job to Alex. Didn’t even consider having a go myself! Think it’s a quick job if you know what you’re doing

Reactions: littleg78