HIDs = NO NO

MarcB

Paid Member
Just seen this on pussbook , dont know if there is any truth in it there but there seems to be a few things that are true so maybe worth a read -

Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018
Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!
So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions.

Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.
A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail
Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate.

For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months and remember spare a thought for your MOT tester before you say...

"Well it past like that last year!"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nspection-manual-and-in-service-emission-data

Well when they chop their looms and connectors to fit them rub it up them. Better luck running around looking for cats and dpf's I would like to see more roadside MOT's done police chasing speeders and mobile phone users they should park up and pull all those prats with thousands of pounds of paint, wings, wheels and spoilers and no working lights on one side but decide to drive with full beam because they cant see because of it.

Reactions: Foxspeed
Like it's going to stop them just swapping them over before the test :think:
Haha you make a very valid point! In addition to swapping the bulbs (which may be a pain to do) you've also got to consider the fact that many people with the modifications mentioned above know a friendly mot tester so they'll still continue to pass. I definitely agree with the post above that there should be more roadside tests and a more visible police presence as that's the only effective deterrent in my opinion.

Am I right in thinking that HIDs are still ok in projector units?

In terms of not being a douche and blinding everyone else on the road, yes. In terms of being legal, no. Factory xenons have headlight washers and sensors for auto leveling. Without those, its not legal.

In terms of not being a douche and blinding everyone else on the road, yes. In terms of being legal, no. Factory xenons have headlight washers and sensors for auto leveling. Without those, its not legal.

Although my self leveling decides to angle the light wayyyy too high at random intervals so it just does more harm than good...

Although my self leveling decides to angle the light wayyyy too high at random intervals so it just does more harm than good...

Yeh, my xenons sometimes are about as useful as a concrete tampon. Regular driving is fine, motorway driving it seems to dip down to practically nothing. There is a manual adjustment on each light, Ive adjusted it so the headlights are level but seems there is little control over the leveling.

I also dont find mine particularly bright so I need to try some new bulbs.

With the ballast pack hidden under the light, how would a tester know you had HIDS?

With the ballast pack hidden under the light, how would a tester know you had HIDS?

They probably wouldn't but depends on temp and being able to hide the ballasts and wiring. I gotta be honest, I tried 3 sets of semi decent HIDs from a few companies with my old e46 beamer in projector headlights and the beam pattern was always weird and they were not that much better than decent bulbs and proper alignment. Different headlights and different cars though.

Yeh, my xenons sometimes are about as useful as a concrete tampon. Regular driving is fine, motorway driving it seems to dip down to practically nothing. There is a manual adjustment on each light, Ive adjusted it so the headlights are level but seems there is little control over the leveling.

I also dont find mine particularly bright so I need to try some new bulbs.

I'm fairly sure something is broken on mine but not sure. They alternate between two 'modes'.

One 'mode' is a static mode where they won't move at all when you turn them on, this is the lowest mode. The other will move them down then up quite a distance whenever they get turned on, so they settle really high up compared to the first 'mode'.

I can adjust the level manually but if I correct it for one 'mode' the other is way out of alignment. I've heard chat about the sensors but never found any good pictures/how to's on checking/fixing them...

Video of when they move about:

I'm fairly sure something is broken on mine but not sure. They alternate between two 'modes'.

One 'mode' is a static mode where they won't move at all when you turn them on, this is the lowest mode. The other will move them down then up quite a distance whenever they get turned on, so they settle really high up compared to the first 'mode'.

I can adjust the level manually but if I correct it for one 'mode' the other is way out of alignment. I've heard chat about the sensors but never found any good pictures/how to's on checking/fixing them...

Video of when they move about:

Mine are the same, I decided that having it a little two low was better than miles in the distance. That video is just the self leveling test it does at the beginning I thought. If it didnt it would definitely be an issue. Impressed by the light output though, mine are no way near that bright so I think I definitely need new bulbs or ballasts, hoping bulbs.

Mine are the same, I decided that having it a little two low was better than miles in the distance. That video is just the self leveling test it does at the beginning I thought. If it didnt it would definitely be an issue. Impressed by the light output though, mine are no way near that bright so I think I definitely need new bulbs or ballasts, hoping bulbs.

Yeh I figured the movement was intended but whenever I adjust the beam so it settles at the correct level, it goes back to pointing at the ground and not moving....

I dont know if it senses movement too, I find in traffic when at a standstill the beam will lower automatically despite no weight shift in the car. The rear sensors are prone to getting water damaged so may be worth a check first.

I dont know if it senses movement too, I find in traffic when at a standstill the beam will lower automatically despite no weight shift in the car. The rear sensors are prone to getting water damaged so may be worth a check first.
Any idea where the sensors actually are? Haven't had a look yet but will be good to know where to look....

Yeh I figured the movement was intended but whenever I adjust the beam so it settles at the correct level, it goes back to pointing at the ground and not moving....

Rear beam, I *think* its on the nearside. Look for a simple small box but not 100% sure.

197/200 have hid level sensors on the front & rear axles - connect to the suspension by small ball & socket joints...

I'm a tester and this is the first time I've seen a Good thread about mot rules and guidelines on a forum.

I like the appreciation to the tester at the end too.

Top work.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk