Holidays 2018..............

If consumed straight from the 'bottle'- is that where the term "Drinking from the furry cup" comes from ?

Mate that is AWESOME!

There's a photo of me doing exactly that with Mrs M (an animal loving veggie!) is in the background looking very put out. Wish I'd have thought of that at the time!

:smiley:

Hope you and Mrs Shuv had a belter in Ayia Napa. Looked to be going pretty damn well from what we saw.

Mate that is AWESOME!

There's a photo of me doing exactly that with Mrs M (an animal loving veggie!) is in the background looking very put out. Wish I'd have thought of that at the time!

Hope you and Mrs Shuv had a belter in Ayia Napa. Looked to be going pretty damn well from what we saw.

Ha ha ! I can see the look on the face from here i think !

The party days of Agia Napa are over (Limited to a small area of the old town). Its being promoted as a family resort. And is ace in many respects. Clean, tidy, cheap; not too tacky and a fair bit to do. We just had a freak weather week when we were there and 38c - feeling 42c was just a bit too much for us. As much as some of the scenery and coast-line especially was stunning.....

42331632992_1cae9c5128_b.jpg

42331604612_f38e5b3222_b.jpg

41478296705_ae6c603567_b.jpg

42331603352_b2ce4231d3_b.jpg

27510785327_93605c054d_b.jpg

42331635482_5671d32581_b.jpg

27510753627_a72dd8bef8_b.jpg

42381108781_3b69691d44_b.jpg

40572849390_b70149bea2_b.jpg

42331619922_9f2134a5d7_b.jpg

@sevenfourate wonderful photos mate. That looks bloody amazing. I always thought it looked really nice over there back in the day when my mates used to hit the clubs.

Beautiful coastline is RIGHT up my street. And look at that water! Ace pic of the mrs too. Clear you've had a belter, glad for you both to get some proper time off with just the two of you. I agree though, I'm a pasty northerner so the weather would have been a bit much for me, anything above 30C and I wilt!

Oh and that Bentley GT3 looking thing is nuts! :smiley:

Reactions: sevenfourate
@sevenfourate wonderful photos mate. That looks bloody amazing. I always thought it looked really nice over there back in the day when my mates used to hit the clubs.

Beautiful coastline is RIGHT up my street. And look at that water! Ace pic of the mrs too. Clear you've had a belter, glad for you both to get some proper time off with just the two of you. I agree though, I'm a pasty northerner so the weather would have been a bit much for me, anything above 30C and I wilt!

Oh and that Bentley GT3 looking thing is nuts! :smiley:

Cheers buddy. We're doing people. Was the first time we've ever had a no schedule, lazy, truly relaxing hol. And was much needed.

Wilt is the term alright Mes ! It's all well trying to be clever / smug and saying; yes it was 38c. But it really was like having 4 hairdryers aimed at you full time. Unpleasant i have to say. Even a couple of the locals we spoke to 'complained'......

Bentley came complete with Lizard skin look, feel and texture wrap ! Uber cool.......

Last edited:
Reactions: ///M
Cheers buddy. We're doing people. Was the first time we've ever had a no schedule, lazy, truly relaxing hol. And was much needed.

Wilt is the term alright Mes ! It's all well trying to be clever / smug and saying; yes it was 38c. But it really was like having 4 hairdryers aimed at you full time. Unpleasant i have to say. Even a couple of the locals we spoke to 'complained'......

Bentley came complete with Lizard skin look, feel and texture wrap ! Uber cool.......

Does the soul good to completely switch off for a while doesn't it?

And yep, 30C is about my limit. Love the hairdryer analogy! :smiley: Texas was the worst I'd ever experienced, felt like you could cut the air with a knife and breathing seemed difficult. Ace holiday regardless!

Not sure about the wrap on that Bentley. LOVE the wheels though!

Just back from a few days in Snowdonia. Another 35km tough walking in 2.5 days (of course that's nothing to folks like @M19TNR !!!). Knackered but SO worth it. Saw some truly amazing things. Took the Clio. Performed SUPERBLY and was an absolute riot on those glorious Welsh roads.

Castell Dolbadarn

Castell Dolbadarn.jpg

Llyn Cau, part way up the very daunting Cadair Idris. Big and tiring climb to get here but when you have this entirely to yourself it's worth it:

Llyn Cau.jpg

The incredibly beautiful Llyn Idwal:

Llyn Idwal 2.jpg Llyn Idwal.jpg

Llyn Llydaw, got to the top for this view JUST as the heavens literally opened. Two hours from any shelter. Totally soaked!

Llyn Llydaw.jpg

The roads out there are just STUNNING. Smooth, entertaining as hell and incredible scenery.

Llyn Mwyngil.jpg

Ogwen Valley:

Llyn Ogwen Boathouse.jpg

Llyn Padarn, Llanberis. Just to the right of this is one of the best roads I've ever driven:

Llyn Padarn.jpg Lone Tree.jpg

Took this out of the window of the car, can't remember where:

Ogwen Valley.jpg

Back to the Ogwen Valley for sunset:

Ogwen Sunset.jpg

Amazing photos and scenery there ..

I have flight to New york later this summer.
My hotel is south side of manhattan, near wallstreet. Any tips for big apple?

Thanks Antti.

Fette Sau in Williamsburg for AMAZING BBQ.
Blind Tiger for an authentic old school NYC bar.
Flight Club for a ridiculous collection of rare Nike.
All the parks are great.

Can't advise much on touristy stuff. I'm sure someone else will. Hope you have a great time.

When you there Antti ?

We're back on the 28th August. I think we'll likely go back for Xmas too. Me and the wife can't get enough of the place and have completely and utterly fallen for it.

@///M - Just about the most amazing quality photos of the most amazing back-drops i think i've ever seen !

You surely must have spent all week searching for those locations right ? You don't just repeatedly stumble across and find jaw-dropping shots like that by accident......

Pulling your (tired and weary ?) leg Mes. Quite amazing. I need to get Mrs Shuv some hiking boots. And a sense of adventure !

@///M - Just about the most amazing quality photos of the most amazing back-drops i think i've ever seen !

You surely must have spent all week searching for those locations right ? You don't just repeatedly stumble across and find jaw-dropping shots like that by accident......

Pulling your (tired and weary ?) leg Mes. Quite amazing. I need to get Mrs Shuv some hiking boots. And a sense of adventure !

Thanks muchly Shuv!

Yep, nothing by chance, a LOT of research done before hand. And invariably, the routes we're following aren't clear at all. But then it's proper wilderness, landmarks are next to none existent so sometimes you're relying on someone else's interpretation that may be different from your own. But yeah, every morning we wake up knowing what the plan is. To be honest though, only four of those shots were anything more than a short walk from the car.

As for Mrs Shuv, she doesn't need hiking boots really, I do it all in trainers. But if you can sweeten the deal with a nice pair of posh Timberlands that might help?

Seriously though. Have a dad / husband moment and demand it. They owe you one! At least one! :smiley:

Anyone here ever been and done all the normal touristy things / attractions in Dubai; and can share any info on what area would be best to stay in ?

Anyone here ever been and done all the normal touristy things / attractions in Dubai; and can share any info on what area would be best to stay in ?

I don’t hear many good things about it to be honest apart from guaranteed sun.
People I know just say it’s dead behind the eyes, whilst another lived there for a while and couldn’t wait to move back to Europe.
I always though Vegas would be a better alternative, but no idea what that opinion is based on! My mind works in mysterious ways.
Horses for courses though, you might really like it - and plenty do, just not the people I know [emoji14]

I don’t hear many good things about it to be honest apart from guaranteed sun.
People I know just say it’s dead behind the eyes, whilst another lived there for a while and couldn’t wait to move back to Europe.
I always though Vegas would be a better alternative, but no idea what that opinion is based on! My mind works in mysterious ways.
Horses for courses though, you might really like it - and plenty do, just not the people I know [emoji14]

Interesting thoughts. Although 3rd hand of course.

We've done alot of Europe now; and New York, Florida and Arizona in the US. Vegas is on the 'possibles' and we did have it booked once; but we'd really like to do something other than the US as its likely we'll be revisiting New York a few times on and off. So without busting the bank completely we were looking for somewhere we've not been to - that's not in the US or Europe.

Vancouver is also somewhere that we've mulled over.....

Superb bud. When are you jet-setters off on those two jaunts ?
Tenerife beginning of July, Bergen August. Been mulling over a trip to NYC for next year. Learned that if we fly from Glasgow with Iceland Air they fly via Rekyavik & you can choose to break either the outward or return journey for up to seven nights at no extra flight cost. As Iceland is on the bucket list this is a favourable option especially as flights are available Glasgow - JFK for around £380 outbound & £480 inbound. As Iceland is going to be expensive when we're there, not having to pay to fly there on top of NYC flights would be worthwhile.

Tenerife beginning of July, Bergen August. Been mulling over a trip to NYC for next year. Learned that if we fly from Glasgow with Iceland Air they fly via Rekyavik & you can choose to break either the outward or return journey for up to seven nights at no extra flight cost. As Iceland is on the bucket list this is a favourable option especially as flights are available Glasgow - JFK for around £380 outbound & £480 inbound. As Iceland is going to be expensive when we're there, not having to pay to fly there on top of NYC flights would be worthwhile.

Awesome. That would be a great way to do it John. Fantastic idea !

****That's alot for flights though ??? I paid around £300 each with Norwegian for Heathrow to JFK (Direct) on a Dreamliner. Available all year for under £350 AFAIK. That's RETURN.....

We found NYC absolutely amazing in Xmas 17. We're back there at the end of Aug with the kids in tow this time...and will very likely do at Xmas this year again; just the two of us. My wife thinks it will be even better in Aug (Quite warm there then) compared to Xmas. I reckon that Xmas [Tree @ Rockefeller gets lit 28th Nov this year and most Christmasy stuff then starts / opens around the same time] will be hard to top. What i am sure of is it will be a very different vibe / atmosphere in Summer compared to Xmas. We'll see how.....

I really hope you do make it soon. I'd be astounded if you weren't astounded !

To whet your appetite...Most of these are my pics. A couple aren't:

42488485022_a1f51fb633_b.jpg

41638117025_5fd2b4a8e1_b.jpg

42488494862_1bea2ae349_b.jpg

27669878477_89b52250d0_b.jpg

40732085030_fae6e154d2_b.jpg

42540485751_18ab7bd2e7_b.jpg

42488483982_c3d0aa6394_b.jpg

28666966728_1a16242658_b.jpg

42488485242_23e6acb9ff_b.jpg

41638129755_3da8bb53ba_b.jpg

41638138365_ce9ee11a5e_b.jpg

27669878217_31cc98a498_o.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. That would be a great way to do it John. Fantastic idea !

****That's alot for flights though ??? I paid around £300 each with Norwegian for Heathrow to JFK (Direct) on a Dreamliner. Available all year for under £350 AFAIK. That's RETURN.....

We found NYC absolutely amazing in Xmas 17. We're back there at the end of Aug with the kids in tow this time...and will very likely do at Xmas this year again; just the two of us. My wife thinks it will be even better in Aug (Quite warm there then) compared to Xmas. I reckon that Xmas [Tree @ Rockefeller gets lit 28th Nov this year and most Christmasy stuff then starts / opens around the same time] will be hard to top. What i am sure of is it will be a very different vibe / atmosphere in Summer compared to Xmas. We'll see how.....

I really hope you do make it soon. I'd be astounded if you weren't astounded !

To whet your appetite...Most of these are my pics. A couple aren't:

View attachment 124754

View attachment 124755

View attachment 124756

View attachment 124757

View attachment 124758

View attachment 124759

View attachment 124760

View attachment 124761

View attachment 124762

View attachment 124763

View attachment 124764

View attachment 124765
Looks great Shuv! I might look into flying from Heathrow. My prices are from me having the 1st thought of visiting NYC & are the cheapest I've found so far flying from Scotland. BA, who are my favourite airline, were considerably more expensive & flew via Manchester or London connections. Still early days. I know I want to avoid American Airlines at all costs due to awful customer service a few years ago flying San Francisco - Honolulu - Los Angeles. Terrible airline imho & wouldn't use them again if I could help it. Sadly we do want to return to Hawaii & if flying BA the last leg from California to Honolulu & back is on American as they are part of the One World Alliance. Norwegian Airlines do have some competitive fares to NYC from Glasgow I believe so I'll look into that.
I'll be asking you for ideas for what to do in NYC nearer the time.
Meanwhile I have to ask, does Mrs Shuv love you enough to give you her last Rolo?

Wow that sounds like an epic trip planned for next year. Never been keen on going solo but I think I might grow some balls and get stuck in. Always wanted to get up to Norway/Iceland for the Northern Lights at some point, some of my mates laugh at me and reckon I'm too young to start doing trips like that.....always fascinated me though!

NYC is on the bucket list as is for most, so that Iceland Air option might be one for me to look at!!

Reactions: Johnny 99
Nice pics @sevenfourate

We have flights scheduled for august. It is my first time there. Never been in USA.
I booked hotel near wall street. We have plans to go central park, chinatown, empire state building and little italy etc..

Reactions: ///M and Johnny 99

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sevenfourate General Chat 5
Chris General Chat 66
sevenfourate General Chat 34
R Clio General Chat 8
Mike General Chat 19