How to remove side protection strips?

My side protection strips look a bit shabby on close inspection so I'm considering removing them and repainting them. My car is Nimbus but I'd like to paint them a darker shade of metallic grey....

How easy are they to remove? Do they just pull off? I'd hate to break one of them and I bet they are held in by cheapo plastic bits that will break!

Advice gratefully received ....

do you mean the strips on the doors?

If so, look at the bottom of the strip, there is a thin slot towards the back of the door, push something plastic (or something that wont damage the paint) into the slot, this will raise the strip slighlty and unlatch it. While its raised push the strip towards the back of the vehicle and it will slide off :smile:

OK..is that true for the strip on the rear quarter as well? If so I'll take a look tomorrow if it stops raining .....thanks for the advice.

OK..it looks like my off-side rear quarter one may not be latched correctly as it wobbles slightly so I'll try removing it and refitting it to see if that helps...

The ones on the doors have a single screw iirc which you need to remove, open the door and inside you'll see a black rubber grommit, remove this then remove the screw and try not to drop it inside the doors.

The ones on the doors have a single screw iirc which you need to remove, open the door and inside you'll see a black rubber grommit, remove this then remove the screw and try not to drop it inside the doors.

correct you are mate . dropping the screw down that holes is a pain :angry:

Anyone have experience any updates on this. I've taken the screw off and tried sliding them back but no luck taking them off

Anyone have experience any updates on this. I've taken the screw off and tried sliding them back but no luck taking them off

1. Carefully prise indicator lense off first. (I then removed bulb - and tucked holder into door to get out of the way - ready for trim to slide back).

2. Remove screw to rear of trim.

3. Whole lot will then slide backwards - with badge staying clipped in to the trim piece.

**I've done this numerous times in the last week - so know this is correct ! Antti-O also gave me a short written run down on post 1977 of my progress thread:

http://www.clio197.net/threads/shuvs-racing-blue-200.52286/page-99

And although pictures aren't working; its talked about here in the "How to's":

http://www.clio197.net/threads/how-to-remove-bullets-and-rubbing-door-strips.30596/

Any questions. Shout me !!

Amazing !

Thanks mate. Managed to get it off once I knew about the repeater light removal.

The back strip is on poppers so got that off too.

Makes machine polishing so much easier and cleaner.

Prepping my car for CSF today.

1. Carefully prise indicator lense off first. (I then removed bulb - and tucked holder into door to get out of the way - ready for trim to slide back).

2. Remove screw to rear of trim.

3. Whole lot will then slide backwards - with badge staying clipped in to the trim piece.

**I've done this numerous times in the last week - so know this is correct ! Antti-O also gave me a short written run down on post 1977 of my progress thread:

http://www.clio197.net/threads/shuvs-racing-blue-200.52286/page-99

And although pictures aren't working; its talked about here in the "How to's":

http://www.clio197.net/threads/how-to-remove-bullets-and-rubbing-door-strips.30596/

Any questions. Shout me !!

Shuv! Once you get something behind the lens and pull the bottom away, do you need to slide it up/down or anywhere or just keep pulling?! Lot of resistance in mine, thought I'd ask first before I accidentally snap it!!

Shuv! Once you get something behind the lens and pull the bottom away, do you need to slide it up/down or anywhere or just keep pulling?! Lot of resistance in mine, thought I'd ask first before I accidentally snap it!!

There's a slight lip top and bottom (On the lense) that hooks over the plastic side strip - that i presume you're trying to remove eventually.....

So once you've got one edge of the lense off the other should slide / pull the opposite way - and away from the plastic trim its hooked over.

Reactions: Benno
Ahh that might well be where I'm going wrong then...will update shortly.:thumb:

Are you putting them bullets on mate?

You don't have to take the full strip off to do them you know.

Yeah! Just literally mean getting the lens off, I don't think anyone has ever touched a single thing on my Clio, everything seems to be tight as fook! This seemed like the most relevant thread I could find...!

Reactions: Mossy
Yeah.......my theory of nothing EVER being done on this car has just been proved correct. Either that or I did it really wrong....

7b5986428764c417eecf39128b4ae69c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you've tried to pull the lense off - without it actually being unclipped from the plastic strip behind that it locates on. So the plastic front has come [Broken !!!] off the backing piece.

Anyway: Get the bulb out of the way now and get the backing piece off. Aslong as you don't now wreck the plastic behind it (Or lense wont locate again) you're all good.

And i do have a spare lense here i can post if you need it..........

****You realise the lense clips-in top and bottom....not left and right yes ?

Yeah.......my theory of nothing EVER being done on this car has just been proved correct. Either that or I did it really wrong....

7b5986428764c417eecf39128b4ae69c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine were a bitch. Same as you I just kept wiggling the lens and after about 10mins it popped free! No idea what I did different