200: Indoor car /dust covers (And other laying-up questions)

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
Any of you guys who have a daily / garage their cars in the winter have one ? Like anything - you can spend 100's and 100's of ££££ if you so choose.

But this looks to be good value, and got a fabulous review / rating with Auto Express:

Fabric cover:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cosmos-Br...var=621526358310&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Review:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92463/cosmos-indoor-car-cover

And in terms of the Clio (@LOCKE) anyone :

Do you have them on a trickle battery charger while not in use ?

How often do you start them up if not ?

Is it best to let it get fully warm in the garage (Like until the fan kicks in) or wait until a dry weekend and take it for a spin up the road ?

Advice welcomed........

I had posted something about car covers here some days ago.

Keeping the car clean (safely) between washes

The stuff in the link isn't exactly cheap but top quality.

About the other question. If you've an A/C in yours it's recommended that you run it at least once a month for some time. So you should start it up anyway in case you have one. Besides that I think it can't be wrong to have all the fluids moving from time to time.

We've a place here called the "Classic-Remise" where they sell and repair classic and luxury cars. They also have a car storage and quite some cars parking in the glass boxes are attached to chargers if they're parked there for a longer period of time.

3YoV5WE.jpg

So to get one of these chargers can't be a bad idea but taking it our for a spin from time to time surely is the more fun option.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I'm just about to put mine in the garage for winter, so reading this with interest!

What are the details of the Renault branded cover? I've been thinking about an indoor cover for a while.

Thanks,
Ben.

I'm just about to put mine in the garage for winter, so reading this with interest!

What are the details of the Renault branded cover? I've been thinking about an indoor cover for a while.

Thanks,
Ben.

@Antti O told me it’s supposed to be for a Meg 265 but fits the Clio perfectly.

Around £150 I think...

Genuine Renault.

No, actually not for megane. This is just for 197/200.
I think new price is approx 150eur (120£).. i bought it second hand half price.

Ouch. Looks good though, had a brief chat offline with Antti O to see if there was a part number available on the one he picked up. Nothing unfortunately :worried:

I've got a CTEK MXS 5.0 trickle charger. Great bit of kit.
I replaced my Optimate IIISP with it.

I strategically pick a dry day and take the car out a fair old run to get all the fluids round it and get things up to temp, a/c running etc etc

Cosmos cover purchased today; i'll give a really short review of it when it arrives and gets fitted.
I can’t believe how cheap that is. Might add one to my xmas list

Can see my Clio being put away after xmas meet for a couple/three months with winter at its worst.

Did you opt for small or medium?

I can’t believe how cheap that is. Might add one to my xmas list

Can see my Clio being put away after xmas meet for a couple/three months with winter at its worst.

Did you opt for small or medium?

I went for medium mate. Yea hope it fits great and does the business. Gets great reviews - so i don't see why not !

If not - i'll be ok for rag for a while :smile:

Reactions: Big Ben
I've never used a cover on the Clio but have used on my bikes in the past but I felt they caused condensation (not in a heated garage). I personally don't like to start the car/bike. In my Yamaha handbook it actually gives you a guide how to store your bike for the winter, which includes, battery out, both wheels off the ground, brim tank with petrol and add fuel stabilizer. On the bike I change oil and filter before hibernation and drop the oil again before spring. The Clio I have just serviced, brimmed the tank, added fuel stabilizer and stuck the battery on the CTek charger and left handbrake off. There are many arguments about starting/not starting, TBH if it's only say 6 months I doubt anything will sieze. It's done no harm to my bikes over the years so will carry on doing it as suggested.

As said, brim tank and stabiliser for the fuel, if using a cover (I don't tbh) just check for condensation even they do say breathable! It's leave the car at that with the hand brake off and don't start it, ctek charger is a good idea too, ohh and if you an roll it back and forth every month to a different position to protect aginst flat spots!

That's about it!

I've never used a cover on the Clio but have used on my bikes in the past but I felt they caused condensation (not in a heated garage). I personally don't like to start the car/bike. In my Yamaha handbook it actually gives you a guide how to store your bike for the winter, which includes, battery out, both wheels off the ground, brim tank with petrol and add fuel stabilizer. On the bike I change oil and filter before hibernation and drop the oil again before spring. The Clio I have just serviced, brimmed the tank, added fuel stabilizer and stuck the battery on the CTek charger and left handbrake off. There are many arguments about starting/not starting, TBH if it's only say 6 months I doubt anything will sieze. It's done no harm to my bikes over the years so will carry on doing it as suggested.
As said, brim tank and stabiliser for the fuel, if using a cover (I don't tbh) just check for condensation even they do say breathable! It's leave the car at that with the hand brake off and don't start it, ctek charger is a good idea too, ohh and if you an roll it back and forth every month to a different position to protect aginst flat spots!

That's about it!

Education appreciated guys.

C-Tek incoming. Optimate always used to be ‘the one’ - especially for bikes over winter. No more it seems....

Cheers.