Installing original radio- something’s not quite right..

Hi everyone,

I’m reverting to a stock radio that I bought online. It said it’s a radio for a Clio ‘06 and beyond, but one of the main plugs (first picture) doesn’t fit. I plugged the other things in the back but no sign of life at all. By the way, I have a 2007 Renault Clio RS 197. Do I even have the right radio? What gives?

Thank you all in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5864.jpeg
    IMG_5864.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5865.jpeg
    IMG_5865.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5866.jpeg
    IMG_5866.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5867.jpeg
    IMG_5867.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5868.jpeg
    IMG_5868.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
It appears that you have had an aftermarket head unit installed before, and part of that process is installing wiring adapters that allow you to convert the Renault wiring connectors to standard ISO plugs.

What you need to do is remove said adapters which looks like this and the adapter for the aerial antenna too.

I have a 2008 197, and I'm mid-radio upgrade so this is all familiar!

I have a stock radio as you've pictured and in my car all the connectors are standard ISO.

I suspect as DS197 says you have adapters hiding in behind that were used for a previous conversion.

The aerial on my car is ISO and goes direct in to the radio, that aerial you have must be DIN style.

The block connectors in the second photo are your ISO connections.
The black block is your power ISO, and the brown block is your speaker ISO.

The odd one is that white block, I don't have that.
On my car, I have a yellow mini-ISO connector, which should be running the display and radio controls.

So all three ISO connections I mentioned plug directly in to the radio, just like the one you have shown in your photo.

That's the setup in my car, unless Renault changed connectors mid years but looking at the wiring diagrams online they seem to have used the mini-ISO on a few cars, going back to Clio II

Reactions: Kalamat88
It appears that you have had an aftermarket head unit installed before, and part of that process is installing wiring adapters that allow you to convert the Renault wiring connectors to standard ISO plugs.

What you need to do is remove said adapters which looks like this and the adapter for the aerial antenna too.

Right on! Yes, it had an aftermarket radio previously. So essentially by unplugging the aftermarket ones would reveal the stock OE plugs?

Basically, the stock plugs are plugged into the aftermarket ones?

Poisonblue thanks for the tips! For some reason I missed your comment before typing my previous one- sorry about that.

Excuse my ignorance but what do ISO and DIN stand for?

Thanks again for the write up. I’m eager to revisit this as the area has been nice for storage but it’s time for a radio and an old cd player for long cruises

ISO and DIN are the names of the organisations who came up with those standards originally.

ISO for the speakers and power would be sometimes called "universal", it seems to be the accepted standard for that.
There's not a set ISO standard for steering wheel controls so it can be a resistor ladder or CAN Bus or something else random.

For the radio aerial, both ISO and DIN are around in different cars, a lot of cars have the antenna terminated in a DIN connection, that you would have to change to ISO to use in a different radio.

The aerial in your photo is DIN, so you'd have to get an adapter like this to connect it to the back of your Renault radio:

I thought my aerial was already ISO in my Clio but it's possible there was an adapter on the end of it already like the one in the link and I didn't clock it (I was busy cursing trying to run cables through my dashboard at the time, I actually "lost" my antenna in there and need to fish it out later lol)

Reactions: Kalamat88
Haha oh no! I hope you’re able to find this antenna, wherever it may be hidden.

I’m a bit confused, though… what I have currently was connected to an aftermarket unit and in the link it says that “An DIN to ISO aerial adapter is sometimes required when replacing your original factory fitted car radio head unit with an after-market head unit”.

Either way, I’ll take your word for it. It’s just a few bucks and I’m ready to get this stock radio put in.

Thanks again for the help and guidance!