Is the 197 good value for money?

_Callly

Paid Member
Hello guys and girls.

I'm currently deciding if I want the ep3 or a 197.

I have never really had a "hot hatch" but did have a a Ep91 sr as a first car. And since then it's just been drift cars haha.

I'm going to be getting a new daily and have decided I want a hatch! As I like how small they are and fun to drive.

Anyway my question is basically if the 197 is good value for money as they seem to be well priced, do you think they will continue to loose money?

Thanking you x

the do loose some value but if you look after it then a good example can still be sold for decent money..
they are fun to drive believe me :thumb:

In my opinion for what you pay, they're incredible! Engine is revvy and extremely fun, they might not be the fastest in a straight line compared to other hot hatches. But the way they feel in the corners is great. Don't get me wrong though they still go alright in a straight line haha! I absolutely love my 197

Reactions: _Callly
the do loose some value but if you look after it then a good example can still be sold for decent money..
they are fun to drive believe me :thumb:

Sweet!

Hopefully will be taking my mates 197 out for a spin this week.

Depends on what you consider value for money, 197's have bottomed out on price but good ones will always command a bit of a premium, especially if there rare spec and had cambelt done recently etc.

They're typically quite expensive to run, the fuel consumption is poor and parts aren't cheap, the list of consumables and 'wear n tear' items is pretty exhaustive, unless it's incredibly lowish mileage expect to shell out for suspension, brakes, cosmetics etc.

That being said, if your happy to tinker a bit on a weekend and spend a bit of time and money they do all a hot hatch needs. Be aware that basic spec is a bit poverty, I wouldn't buy one again without cup pack, xenons, climate, recaros, bluetooth, satnav etc.

Better than an EP3? Probably more fun to drive, probably similar running costs...less reliable?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doogle
Im currently writing an article for my blog i want to start up, it covers off if you should get a 197 :wink: i'll post it up soon.

Depends on what you consider value for money, 197's have bottomed out on price but good ones will always command a bit of a premium, especially if there rare spec and had cambelt done recently etc.

They're typically quite expensive to run, the fuel consumption is poor and parts aren't cheap, the list of consumables and 'wear n tear' items is pretty exhaustive, unless it's incredibly lowish mileage expect to shell out for suspension, brakes, cosmetics etc.

That being said, if your happy to tinker a bit on a weekend and spend a bit of time and money they do all a hot hatch needs. Be aware that basic spec is a bit poverty, I wouldn't buy one again without cup pack, xenons, climate, recaros, bluetooth, satnav etc.

Better than an EP3? Probably more fun to drive, probably similar running costs...less reliable?
Great response thanks.

I echo above, I have a 'full fat' with xenons, aircon, climate, adjustable reach and height steering wheel, electric mirrors, etc. However I dont find fuel economy that bad, I average 32mpg, using it for mainly commuting on a 5 mile trip to work and back with a foot down drive once a month. Equates to about 370 miles for about £65, my old 3L BMW diesel doing similar journeys would only manage 420 miles to £70 so I dont see the Clio that bad. If you compare it to something like a 1.6L Golf Bluemotion diesel of course it will have poorer MPG figures.

If you are like some of my car mates who cant have a boring or slow car as a daily, the Clio is a good choice. From £3.5k you should be able to get a decent one, you can get a 200 for about £4.5k.

It'll never be as efficient as a turbo car, bur you dont need to rev the turbo car to really get it going.

If it’s all sound mechanically then yes great value.

Bills rack up quickly on these cars though if poorly maintained

I echo above, I have a 'full fat' with xenons, aircon, climate, adjustable reach and height steering wheel, electric mirrors, etc. However I dont find fuel economy that bad, I average 32mpg, using it for mainly commuting on a 5 mile trip to work and back with a foot down drive once a month. Equates to about 370 miles for about £65, my old 3L BMW diesel doing similar journeys would only manage 420 miles to £70 so I dont see the Clio that bad. If you compare it to something like a 1.6L Golf Bluemotion diesel of course it will have poorer MPG figures.

If you are like some of my car mates who cant have a boring or slow car as a daily, the Clio is a good choice. From £3.5k you should be able to get a decent one, you can get a 200 for about £4.5k.

Thanks for the reply, most I've seen have been a bit more than you said but I will keep waiting until a decent deal comes up!

Thanks for the reply, most I've seen have been a bit more than you said but I will keep waiting until a decent deal comes up!

Some are better than others, I paid £3k for mine with 109k on the clock and a decent service history but have replaced both front wishbones, nearside swivel joints, shocks all round, front topmounts, rear disc and pads, inner and outer track rods, cambelt and waterpump, etc. I knew that buying a car with that mileage would mean stuff like that would need doing and I cant stand cutting corners on car maintenance.

If you are on Facebook get yourself onto the Renault sport groups, always cars for sale and mostly owned by enthusiasts so generally looked after.

Reactions: Pav
Some are better than others, I paid £3k for mine with 109k on the clock and a decent service history but have replaced both front wishbones, nearside swivel joints, shocks all round, front topmounts, rear disc and pads, inner and outer track rods, cambelt and waterpump, etc. I knew that buying a car with that mileage would mean stuff like that would need doing and I cant stand cutting corners on car maintenance.

If you are on Facebook get yourself onto the Renault sport groups, always cars for sale and mostly owned by enthusiasts so generally looked after.
Okay great man I will have a look!