Issue selecting 3rd when downshifting

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone had any ideas on what maybe causing this issue as its quite strange. Going up the gears is fine but say for example I was in 5th gear and I was slowing down and wanted to select 3rd it would be like pushing against a brick wall and the gearstick would no doubt snap before going into that gear.

There is no noise, griding or crunching or anything its just like there is no gear there at all.

BUT if I went from say 5th into 4th then tried 3rd it would be fine....sort of like you have to select a gear from the middle bank before it will let you have 3rd. I have also tried keeping pressure on the stick as the speed drops to see if it was a syncro problem and eventually dropped into gear but that does nothing either the only way is to select another gear before downshifting to 3rd.

Thanks in advance!

I had the same with my 5th gear fine changing down from 6 to 5 but changing up from 4 to 5 it would crunch now my car is in the garage getting a new gearbox :/

Hi Andrew,

That sounds like a different problem to what I am having to be honest as mine is not making any noises when trying to get the gear its just like the gear is not there until a gear on the same bank is selected.

UPDATE:

Today I have found out that if I wiggle the gear stick side to side a bit as pushing the stick forward into 3rd it goes go in, without selecting another gear first. This sounds more and more like a linkage problem maybe?

Just curious if anyone else has had this before?

UPDATE:

Today I have found out that if I wiggle the gear stick side to side a bit as pushing the stick forward into 3rd it goes go in, without selecting another gear first. This sounds more and more like a linkage problem maybe?

hi tom,

I have pretty much the same issue - if you push the gear stick slighly then mine makes a ticking noise and i can almost feel it go back into the centre and then i can select 3rd fine.

i am yet to look at mine so if you get to the bottom of this issue before me then please let know what you find the problem to be :smile:

thanks!

might be worth dropping off the cables from the top of the box - that way you can check the cables for free movement and also check to see/feel how the 2 selectors work

UPDATE:

Hi, I've just had to have my gearbox rebuilt after it developed a crunch in fourth and difficult into third.
Parts replaced were :
4th synchro ring kit 3x synchro hub slippers and 3rd /4th selector fork
I've read about about gearbox issues on here. Seems like the achilles heel of these awesome little cars! [emoji53]

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Ive got the same problem just had my box rebuild and now struggles getting a second gear so box is on its way back out. Might be worth checking the adjustment on the gear cable at the top of the box one has a spring and clip if you compress the spring and pull the clip up you can adjust the cable by about and inch .

Ive got the same problem just had my box rebuild and now struggles getting a second gear so box is on its way back out. Might be worth checking the adjustment on the gear cable at the top of the box one has a spring and clip if you compress the spring and pull the clip up you can adjust the cable by about and inch .
Struggling to get 2nd gear as in crunching? Or just difficult to select?