Keyless entry help...

I'm having a problem with the keyless entry I can get out and press the button on the door handles and it locks fine however it no longer unlocks by pulling either handle

It stopped working after changing the exhaust manifold which involved disconnecting the battery... is this normal?

Do you have a 197? If so, the keyless entry on the 197 doesn't unlock by pulling the handle, there's a sensor (black plastic) behind the door handle that senses your hand. There is a knack to it, I find some gloves don't work and sometimes needs a little stroke with the palm/inner finger. :kissing:

Mines the same, drivers side too unfortunately which is a pain. Been like that since I picked the car up and never really bothered to find a fix. Like yours the button works, just not the sensor. Passenger side is fine

Yeah it is a 197 I've poked about and tried cleaning it and still nothing I just find it odd that it unlocked from both sides right up till disconnecting the battery and hasn't worked since

Do you have a 197? If so, the keyless entry on the 197 doesn't unlock by pulling the handle, there's a sensor (black plastic) behind the door handle that senses your hand. There is a knack to it, I find some gloves don't work and sometimes needs a little stroke with the palm/inner finger. :kissing:

its does (pulling the handle) if the cars canbus shuts down - on the door handle mechanism there is a switch so when the handle is pulled it "wakes up" the system & unlocks...

I've had another look and tried putting card in slot with turning ignition on and off and it's not made any difference the only thing I've noticed is that the boot will still unlock as normal.

its does (pulling the handle) if the cars canbus shuts down - on the door handle mechanism there is a switch so when the handle is pulled it "wakes up" the system & unlocks...

I think I've grown accustomed to triggering the sensor with my hand before pulling the handle, so never noticed the handle unlocking by itself. I know when the keycard battery is flat the handle doesn't open, I have to go the French drivers door and use the key. Good to know if the sensor stops working and I'm stood there like a lemon I just need to pull the handle. :wink:

Last edited:
I've had another look and tried putting card in slot with turning ignition on and off and it's not made any difference the only thing I've noticed is that the boot will still unlock as normal.

have you check all fuses and connections on the fuse blocks round the sides of the battery?

The Renault clip has the ability to test all this by status the software will indicate live if the buttons, handle pull, proximity sensor have been activated as you press, push and pull as well as the signals have been received from the key cards on top of that it can tell you the last key unlocked and locked the car. What you might be experiencing right now is the weather freezing the proximity sensor lens even on the inside but a pull on the handle should also unlock on the second pull the position of the keycard can catch you out batteries don't like cold weather so if the key is in the opposite pocket to the door handle the signal might not be strong enough to be picked up due to distance and weaker battery in the key. But the clip will be a conformation to the operation of the unlocking components and you will be sure if a component has failed.

The Renault clip has the ability to test all this by status the software will indicate live if the buttons, handle pull, proximity sensor have been activated as you press, push and pull as well as the signals have been received from the key cards on top of that it can tell you the last key unlocked and locked the car. What you might be experiencing right now is the weather freezing the proximity sensor lens even on the inside but a pull on the handle should also unlock on the second pull the position of the keycard can catch you out batteries don't like cold weather so if the key is in the opposite pocket to the door handle the signal might not be strong enough to be picked up due to distance and weaker battery in the key. But the clip will be a conformation to the operation of the unlocking components and you will be sure if a component has failed.

It's looking like it might end up going to Renault for them to plug in and have a look.

Weather wise it's not changed all that much well not here in north Norfolk anyway but the problem started straight after changing the exhaust manifold and it's both handles failed at the same time.

I've changed the battery in the key card for a new Duracell and still hasn't made a difference I'm officially baffled

Give us a timeline from when the manifold was changed to the handles stopped working because the locking works on the button then the keyless entry aerials and keycard are working so the handle and the push buttons are fine for locking both sides check this. Now when before you changed the manifold did you use the passenger side proximity senor to unlock the door and can you at the moment unlock either door by pulling the handle or are you forced to use the emergency key in the lock. Now this may sound stupid but the passenger side proximity sensor might have already be broken and when the drivers stopped you have now discovered the passenger problem and assumed both have happened at the same time I don't think it is a fuse as other functions would have stopped working as well, So if you don't have to use the key card buttons or the emergency key to unlock the car then the problem is the proximity sensor also try the car at different locations as the effect of neon lights or wireless interference might stop the system working properly.

It was straight after changing the manifold as the wife took it to pick the kids up from school so got out and locked it as usual and then it wouldn't unlock from the passenger side when she went to open the door to let the kids in so she tried the drivers door and it still wouldn't unlock.

Both sides are used daily to unlock the car as she leaves the house does 2 school runs and pops to the super market so we knew they were both functioning as they should.

I can confirm that all lock buttons work on both doors and tailgate.

Things get even more bizarre now as I've tried all sorts of ways to unlock and here's what nice found.

I got the wife to try the drivers door whilst I walked around the car holding the key card close to the car and nothing happens same applies to the passenger door.

She then tried the boot and it unlocks no matter where I hold the key card near the car.

Unlocking the boot unlocks all doors

After locking the car again using any handle the passenger door will unlock with the handle if I'm stood at the rear of the car or near the front drivers door.

Once locked the passenger door won't unlock with the handle no matter where the key card is.

However if then unlock from the boot and lock again the passenger door will unlock like it did before with the key card at the back of the car or near the drivers door but like above won't unlock after locking again unless unlocking from the boot and locking again.

Confused? I know I am lol.

I've downloaded the workshop manual and read about keyless entry and it says something along the lines of it uses a beam in the handle that unlocks the doors if it detects a card and the card sends a signal back.
It then says something about if it hasn't been unlocked for 72 hours it will then revert to using switches in the handle to request detection if the card to unlock.

Makes me wonder if it was using break beam sensors before leaving the battery disconnected and is now relying on possible faulty switches......

Are break beam sensors model specific to clios as I've read conflicting threads in here as to if they have them or not?