Knocking from the steering column (+video)

Hi. I hope someone can help me with this cause it's really getting on my nerves. The knocking occurs either when the wehicle is stationary and the road surface is rough or when driving it a bit harder - so always when the steering is under load. There may be some play in the rack or the connecting rods, but I don't think that is the problem. The knocking itself almost certainly comes from the steering column (the electrical servo), as it more or less goes away when the engine is off. Did anyone have a similar problem or knows the issue? Is replacing the column the only solution? Help would be much apreciated!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1pA7IElelY

Last edited:
sounds very much like the steering servo motor system....might have some "slack" in the mechanism...not had one apart so cant comment further

mine has a slight knock when you do that but its not as loud...

I also suspect the electrical servo... Any idea how much to replace it with a new one? Can't figure out if it's sold only as a complete column or you can buy individual parts - damn Dialogys is so messy. Well I'm gonna have to contact a friend of a friend who works at Renault anyway...
Thanks for the info!

its a bush in the joint at your feet. i had the same problem on my 200, they replaced that bush and its fine now. :smile: you dont need to replace the whole column.

The friend that works at Renault took a look at it and he's almost certain, the sound travels to the column from the rack. Because none of the u-joints on the intermediate shaft are loose and there isn't any play in the steering column itself. But there's quite a lot of play in the rack. So aparently when the electrical motor turns the rack's gearing with something like 50Nm under load, it makes something to skip a cog. At least this is the theory.
I'll probably have the rack refurbished. Because repairing the rack is by far the cheapest. If it doesn't help, column/servo comes next.