Loose gear stick

Dystant

Detailing Dale
Paid Member
My gear stick is pretty loose, I can move it forward and backward about 2cm before there's any resistance and left and right about 1cm before there's any resistance.

Didn't used to be like this, and I think it's related to when one of the gear linkage clips on top of the gearbox came off.

Both clips from what I can tell after having a look are firmly in place, but the plastic bit around it may have worn down?

Does anybody know the part number for the plastic bit that attaches to the top of the gearbox/how to replace this part?

Or is there anything else I can check that may make the stick loose?

Here are the clips I'm talking about:

cpwb0WJ.jpg

Cheers,
Dale

hey Dale..never had this issue on my 197 gearbox nevertheless,when my mechanic was fitting the linkages onto the megane gearbox a few days back,he discovered that the plastic was cracked so he had to order a new cable..not sure whether Renault sell the plastic bit separately mate...
the cable cost me £40 including the above mentioned plastic clip..

Those clips arent supposed to affect any feeling on the gear stick .
It is just "holders" for cables/hoses
Iirc the gearbox breather has the exact same clip too .

Those clips arent supposed to affect any feeling on the gear stick .
It is just "holders" for cables/hoses
Iirc the gearbox breather has the exact same clip too .

So what could be the problem? New cables? New part that attaches onto top of gearbox? :think:

hey Dale..never had this issue on my 197 gearbox nevertheless,when my mechanic was fitting the linkages onto the megane gearbox a few days back,he discovered that the plastic was cracked so he had to order a new cable..not sure whether Renault sell the plastic bit separately mate...
the cable cost me £40 including the above mentioned plastic clip..

It only started being like this when one of the grommits on top of the gearbox popped out, since then it hasn't been the same, and I don't really want to fork out £40 if there's no certainty it will fix the issue :worried:

Do the gear linkages themselves look in good nick?

I could be wrong but I thought loose gearstick could mean either worn linkages or gearbox worn/wearing out...I hope I'm wrong on that though.

So what could be the problem? New cables? New part that attaches onto top of gearbox? :think:

It only started being like this when one of the grommits on top of the gearbox popped out, since then it hasn't been the same, and I don't really want to fork out £40 if there's no certainty it will fix the issue :worried:
Sorry for the late respond .Dunno tbh
Never tried to fix issue like this in these cars.
But in other cars what caused that "loose gearstick issue" was worn bushings under the stick itself.

Reactions: Dystant
Do the gear linkages themselves look in good nick?

I could be wrong but I thought loose gearstick could mean either worn linkages or gearbox worn/wearing out...I hope I'm wrong on that though.

Gearbox itself shouldn't be the issue had it refurbished about 5k miles ago.

Kit like this might solve the problem ( as i said before about other cars) .
How ever im not sure this one fits to our models.

Kit like this might solve the problem ( as i said before about other cars) .
How ever im not sure this one fits to our models.

Yeah wasn't sure whether it's different between sport and nonsport Clios... will have to do some research into it at some point :smile:

Yeah wasn't sure whether it's different between sport and nonsport Clios... will have to do some research into it at some point :smile:
Yes do it before you order hah.
Plus i just checked in the description - the seller didnt mention clio 3 at all.
Good luck bud and dont forget to update us with the result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dystant
Have you Removed some of the trim and checked your gear stick from inside the car?
Worth a try

Wouldn't have any idea what to look for to be completely honest.

Might be worth a try though when I've got some spare time.

So.
Iv also posted this in my thread.

I had a look the other day at the mechanism/linkage arm on top of the box?
Dose this look right?
I have a feeling it shouldn't be moving like this.

Pez