LY200 - too loud or blow up again, taking bets!

When I read the title Rich, I thought it was more top mount problems, dammit :worried:
I hope it isn't too bad mate.

Tutuur, yeah absolutely! I think it's fair to say I've 'struggled' with this car :tearsofjoy:

I wish it was only top mount knocking! That's still there but it's got to be the nature of the solid mounts, it's certainly nothing untoward anyway. Still doesn't explain the lowering issue with them, there was a 197 there that had B14's on standard top mounts, his was a fair bit lower and still had more to go apparently.
That's all irrelevant anyway tbh, the balance and adjustability of the car was immense, so the ride heights are set in stone now as I wouldn't change a single thing on the setup.

That's what will make the next decision tough, because the car was sublime until that point :neutral: I do want it again! I didn't once think I wish this was rwd (which is something I've been wanting for so long now), such that the balance was so adjustable on throttle etc.

I'll ring Ashford this morning, but no doubt it'll be expensive, plus a lot of headache doing it all in and out again. If I got lucky then it's a re-grind on the crank, new bearings etc. But I'm assuming because these are tagged bearings it'll probably need the line boring checking etc etc so it'd be a short block rebuild! So best case is still not going to be less than a couple of K I expect, and if the pistons have touched the head (which a chap at the track said happen to him when his bearings went - rods go higher basically) then it's more likely trashed 90% of the engine.
Either way, I do not want another tuned F4R, I mean let's be honest I'd have to be a monumental bell-end to forge a 3rd engine, that's 1 a fucking trackday :dizzy:

So if the Clio is to remain in my ownership, it's gotta be K20 time again surely? Such a twat I sold a mint low mile K20 and JDM lsd box!! Ah well hindsight an all! Anyway once I have a few more facts then basically weigh the costs vs bailing out I suppose and I do fancy a 370Z Nismo. 50/50 right now I think.

Reactions: tombate911 and suj
Totally understandable, it's nice to just throw money at stuff, but you have to draw the line in the sand at some point.

Fingers crossed it comes back as the least amount of work / cost, then you can actually enjoy the car you've spent so much time building! #stayingpositive :smiley:

Ah Crap!

Sorry to read this dude, I have been following along with all the trials you have been through with this build and I am absolutely gutted for you. Especially after she was running so sweetly. Here's hoping it's the least expensive fix, if not a wise man once said
Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda! Sorry, I seem to be getting a little carried away here!
Ok, I lied about the wise bit.

Best of luck with getting this sorted.

Reactions: TB Rich
Wow yeah that's really shit luck mate, sorry that's happened. A supercharged K20 would be awesome but totally understand you moving a a proper coupe. The want I have for an M3 is very strong haha

Reactions: TB Rich
I think you'd find a nismo 370 will feel heavy and engine won't be a buzzing N/A. Porsche Cayman better option?

On engine front if want ITBs and big power n/a then k20 is your only choice or just put a standard engine in it, just have breathing mods and less lairy cams. Map on the ECU you have now and just run it like that and have some fun. Ok won't have power have now but least know it'll be more reliable rich.

Ah Crap!

Sorry to read this dude, I have been following along with all the trials you have been through with this build and I am absolutely gutted for you. Especially after she was running so sweetly. Here's hoping it's the least expensive fix, if not a wise man once said

Ok, I lied about the wise bit.

Best of luck with getting this sorted.

Haha, made me laugh! :smile:

Chris only Cayman I want is a 987.2 S, and that's just a bit much dollar I think? No chance with my luck would I risk owning the older engine, all the oval bores stories etc - I would get all of it!!
I can't being myself to going back to a stock/ish F4R - same situation as last time (lol), I've spent all this money and to end up with nothing special........nah fuck that! K20 if the Clio is to remain, because it'd be special still and just have an expensive backstory! lol

Speaking to engine guy tomorrow, he was off today so will see. If I can repair for not a lot and it was a freak incident like oil pump...take on chin and rebuild the bits I need to. Will put the 404's in then too :wink: haha!

Yes there is issues with them. What about a m3 then? But again they have there own issues but engines are strong.

maybe it's time for ......... and dear I say ..... Boost. Opens up a massive door for options.

Gutted to hear about this mate, I was only last night I was talking about your car and saying to a friend about what good figures it made, I was going to look back over your set up and consider if something similiar was worth it with the F4R, Hope it's something that's repairable without too much cost to enable you to fix the engine in the build you have now.

Yeah M3 is always a contender, and always something I scowl at when I pass knowing I probably should have bought one a long time ago! :tearsofjoy: Mind you rod bearings on those are a thing... but not huge money to be proactive and get done ahead of time.

Just something about the brutishness of the early Nismo I like. I believe all they need are an oil cooler and the Nismo would be a modiying-less experiance, something I would def require. The M3 I think would need to go to the Comp Pack cars to get that, still too close to 30k :worried:

Oh... and def do one with your comments of boost!!! :smiley: Blasphemy round these here parts!

Tom....... leave the engine alone! Stick a set of cams in and that's it, heed my advice :wink:! Chassis, diff, tyres and brakes are what make the lap time, the engine tbh I get more reward from on the road.

Reactions: James17 and A1axx
Tom....... leave the engine alone! Stick a set of cams in and that's it, heed my advice :wink:! Chassis, diff, tyres and brakes are what make the lap time, the engine tbh I get more reward from on the road.

Dont forget to add - instruction. Ask Chris what he got out of a day at Rockingham one to one with a Clio race driver

Well a very good conversation with Ashford, doesn't suspect too much in terms of replacement in this scenario. But I need to send the bearings labelled in order etc and also get the oil drained and sent to him - which will then all go off for analysis to find out root cause. Test the pump too of course.

Shouldn't cost too much to get on the road again and feeling a lot better about things now. Probably need a new crank but that's it for major components probably, my cams (being too small for the spec really) have tons of clearance so the pistons should never have got close to the valves.

Likely scenario now is basic bottom end rebuild (and bigger cams!). Be no news though now for a few weeks as need time to remove, send off and wait for results.

A day with a instructor is worth 30/40 more horse power and far less cheaper lol

I spent day with Paul rivett. It was best money I've spent in years Cars wise and believe me
I've wasted plenty money on cars ha.

Gutted to hear about this mate, I was only last night I was talking about your car and saying to a friend about what good figures it made, I was going to look back over your set up and consider if something similiar was worth it with the F4R, Hope it's something that's repairable without too much cost to enable you to fix the engine in the build you have now.

Reactions: tombate911
Cant believe the bad luck you have had with this car fingers crossed it won't set you back.

As an all rounder E46 M3 is the way to go in my opinion. A close friend had one and loved it, it was well balanced and had a good amount of power. His had the SMG box which if you keep on top of won't be a problem.
It also allows you to set how corse the gear change is so best of both worlds for when you need it.
For an out of the box car it was great.

Pez

A day with a instructor is worth 30/40 more horse power and far less cheaper lol

I spent day with Paul rivett. It was best money I've spent in years Cars wise and believe me
I've wasted plenty money on cars ha.

Had a play with a Caterham before it went, only just getting from me and I was obviously keeping back slightly from the point of view that at the time I thought I need to drive this home! Guy driving it turned out to be an instructor and pro race driver who was impressed with how I was going. So whilst yeah everyone thinks they're Senna, I'm handy enough and very rarely get overtaken (only that Caterham and a tuned R34, destroyed everything else basically - couple of other mk3's looked like they were in reverse honestly!). And thus a huge part of doing track days to me is I enjoy the whole progression and discovery of pushing it myself.
Now if I was setting lap times in TA yeah you've nothing to lose so take an instructor out - there is always more to learn 100%, so might as well speed that process up.

Pez, yeah love E46's, but, probably missed the boat on those now - way too many tired dogs, or, silly over priced cars. Rather an E92 if looking M. Gotta be manual in an M too, best for long term values I feel. But the DCT would suit me an my usage tbh, so perhaps I'd need to drive both.

Reactions: RSPez

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cliosport-carl Spotted 0
Zeezal Projects/Progress Threads 7
tkoh12 Clios For Sale 0
CL10 PAZ Spotted 0
tkoh12 Spotted 0