Michelin pilot cup 2's....

Why would you say that??? That's a swear word now uncle @Jimmy said so but yes Spa the Ring Donington & Bedford & a few Sprint days just keep a eye on the pressures
Hahahaha! Well nice to hear that you did the ring with them fitted as well, as this is ultimately where they'll be heading for (hence the username!)

How did you find they held up? And I've read something about the pressures before. Anything you recommend or I should be looking out for?

Hahahaha! Well nice to hear that you did the ring with them fitted as well, as this is ultimately where they'll be heading for (hence the username!)

How did you find they held up? And I've read something about the pressures before. Anything you recommend or I should be looking out for?
No just go out get them warm then adjust I did the first time have no idea a over heated them just had fine strips of rubber coming off on the way to the Ring after the swear word @Jimmy

Reactions: Northloopcup
I've not had the Cup 2's but have had super sports and original cups on my old M3, they were both fantastic so would be surprised if there were any complaints about the Cup 2.

Reactions: Northloopcup
i had the cup 2's on the clio last year (size 215/45 17) and did about fourteen hours of hard track driving with them. click on the link and you'll find some thoughts and pictures on the cup 2 (post #12, #14, #29, #31 and #52) ... http://www.clio197.net/threads/2012-clio-3rs-rb7-166.52285/

tbh, a bit disappointed in the cup 2's. initially i was impressed, but maybe that was because it was my first experience with a high performance tyre. after the first hour of hard driving, i did notice that the first row of tread blocks (first one from the outer tyre shoulder) was badly worn. at first i thought it was me leaning too hard too soon on the tyre, but at spa in june i saw two clio's which had exactly the same wear as mine. after that initial tyre wear, the cup 2 was holding up well. until big chunks began flying of the tyre. you can see the result in the thread above.

the biggest disappoinment lies in the fact, that i never expected a tyre good enough for some really impressive machinery (GT3 RS) could fall apart like it did on the clio. to be fair, two of the tracks i drove on are very hard on tyres (and brakes). and some of the trackdays i did where in very hot weather, where the tyres did get a fair bit of abuse. but still ...

Reactions: papa and Jimmy
i had the cup 2's on the clio last year (size 215/45 17) and did about fourteen hours of hard track driving with them. click on the link and you'll find some thoughts and pictures on the cup 2 (post #12, #14, #29, #31 and #52) ... http://www.clio197.net/threads/2012-clio-3rs-rb7-166.52285/

tbh, a bit disappointed in the cup 2's. initially i was impressed, but maybe that was because it was my first experience with a high performance tyre. after the first hour of hard driving, i did notice that the first row of tread blocks (first one from the outer tyre shoulder) was badly worn. at first i thought it was me leaning too hard too soon on the tyre, but at spa in june i saw two clio's which had exactly the same wear as mine. after that initial tyre wear, the cup 2 was holding up well. until big chunks began flying of the tyre. you can see the result in the thread above.

the biggest disappoinment lies in the fact, that i never expected a tyre good enough for some really impressive machinery (GT3 RS) could fall apart like it did on the clio. to be fair, two of the tracks i drove on are very hard on tyres (and brakes). and some of the trackdays i did where in very hot weather, where the tyres did get a fair bit of abuse. but still ...
What would you see as an alternative in the same price range? AD08R's maybe. Toyos?

What would you see as an alternative in the same price range? AD08R's maybe. Toyos?

i've bought AD08R's now. haven't read or heard a bad thing about them. only used them for half an hour on track at the end of last year, so i can't comment on them just yet. first impressions were very good. found the clio even more stable than on the cup 2's. maybe because the yoko is a 'squarer' tyre than the michelin?

toyo's are real semi slicks, which in my case (with stock cup suspension and no camber adjustment) is a bit overkill. i think it's a waste of money, if you can't use the entire tread area of a semi slick in the corners. no doubt the toyo will be faster, though.

Reactions: Big Ben
I've not had the Cup 2's but have had super sports and original cups on my old M3, they were both fantastic so would be surprised if there were any complaints about the Cup 2.
I've got Cup 2's on my M3 track car and they were great last year. Lasted forever too!

Thanks for the honest feedback folks! For me I don't need an all out track tyre, otherwise I'd be going straight for the R888R's. I just need a good compromise for road and track, and if you've ever been to the Nurburgring, you'll appreciate that it's not like doing a trackday.

If you want to go to the ring I would recommend Federal RS-R if the weather is not to hot. I compared it to AD08R / Hankook RS3 / Bridgestone RE070 / Kumho KU36 and the fastest Lap was with the Federals.

or

If you want to go to a semi - some friends tried the Nankang AR-1 on the ring but have gone back to R888R because the Nankangs showed bad performance and haven't reached the right temperature (therefore Nankang is changing the compound for 2017)

Reactions: peter and BenAG200
If you want to go to the ring I would recommend Federal RS-R if the weather is not to hot. I compared it to AD08R / Hankook RS3 / Bridgestone RE070 / Kumho KU36 and the fastest Lap was with the Federals.

or

If you want to go to a semi - some friends tried the Nankang AR-1 on the ring but have gone back to R888R because the Nankangs showed bad performance and haven't reached the right temperature (therefore Nankang is changing the compound for 2017)
Thanks for the feedback mate, and some great laps!!

What else has been done to the car out of interest? And also, where did you mount the camera on the 8:12 lap?

It's a full fat with CUP Pack, Colour Pack, Recaro seats, Keyless, Akrapovic EVO, Front brake w. Brembo HC / Ferodo DS1.11, Rear brake w. Ferodo DS Performance pads, KW Clubsport, Cup 7.5x17 w. Federal RS-R 215/45 17, LiFePo4 battery 1.4 Kg, Wavetrac LSD, Wiechers rollbar, Powerflex bushings for engine and gearbox mounts.

The cam was mounted in the middle of the X on the rollbar.

Reactions: peter
It's a full fat with CUP Pack, Colour Pack, Recaro seats, Keyless, Akrapovic EVO, Front brake w. Brembo HC / Ferodo DS1.11, Rear brake w. Ferodo DS Performance pads, KW Clubsport, Cup 7.5x17 w. Federal RS-R 215/45 17, LiFePo4 battery 1.4 Kg, Wavetrac LSD, Wiechers rollbar, Powerflex bushings for engine and gearbox mounts.

The cam was mounted in the middle of the X on the rollbar.

@jaggeler ... time you start a project thread on here, mate!
wavetrac, wiechers, akra ... wish i had a budget for those goodies. :smile:

I have also used the Cup 2's. At first I had 225/45, but they were rubbing on the bodywork (I have lowering springs) and now I have 215/45. They are good tyres overall, which was what I was looking for, since I also use the Clio on the road. The grip is awesome but I was a bit disappointed with wear. As said above, I also experienced a huge degradation of the first row of tread blocks (first one from the outer tyre shoulder). One track day and it is completely gone. It's probably a problem of geometry; in my opinion the car needs more negative camber. I'll probably buy some camber plates for the Clio later when I buy another daily. I've never tried another semislick, so I cannot compare. Below is how they looked after two track days.

pneus 1.jpg pneus 2.jpg

Reactions: peter