MODS and the costs

nutnutwelshman

Gold Member
I've seen a lot of you guys spending a lot of cash on MODS apart from suspension and BHP and obviously brakes is the rest worth the time and cash.My hairdryers are std and just raged to an inch of their lives comments welcomed

Horses for courses, Kev.
I've always been into cars and tinkering with them gives a great sense of achievement, whether it be simple maintenance or modifications.
For what I've done to mine it's totally been worth it. I'd wanted a Mk3 Clio for about 7 years until I'd actually been able to buy one outright. I can't really afford to change it, so definitely won't be ragging it senseless, let alone be able to replace it if my ambition was greater than its physical adhesion!
I certainly drive it in a spirited fashion (gf always rolling her eyes at cornering speeds) but enjoy it as something I've finally achieved. Every little thing I've done, and will be doing to it, will be absolutely worth it because I enjoy the car so much. I'd say the biggest cost was the Recaro's but worth every penny, they just 'make' the car and I feel special every time I fall into them!
Every time I get the Mk4 itch, there comes a time where I park it up, glance back and fall back in love with the awesome styling it was given.
So all in all, worth every penny and deserves care and 'abuse' in equal measures :smiley:

Reactions: ///M and Jimmy
Horses for courses, Kev.
I've always been into cars and tinkering with them gives a great sense of achievement, whether it be simple maintenance or modifications.
For what I've done to mine it's totally been worth it. I'd wanted a Mk3 Clio for about 7 years until I'd actually been able to buy one outright. I can't really afford to change it, so definitely won't be ragging it senseless, let alone be able to replace it if my ambition was greater than its physical adhesion!
I certainly drive it in a spirited fashion (gf always rolling her eyes at cornering speeds) but enjoy it as something I've finally achieved. Every little thing I've done, and will be doing to it, will be absolutely worth it because I enjoy the car so much. I'd say the biggest cost was the Recaro's but worth every penny, they just 'make' the car and I feel special every time I fall into them!
Every time I get the Mk4 itch, there comes a time where I park it up, glance back and fall back in love with the awesome styling it was given.
So all in all, worth every penny and deserves care and 'abuse' in equal measures :smiley:
No I'd never say don't just wondered what was in your heart when you decided to start modding

No I'd never say don't just wondered what was in your heart when you decided to start modding

Hmmm, it's just in the DNA! I'm just like my dad was.
It's the quest for improvement within your budget to get the most out of it, tastefully.
It's like a drug really, just love it if it serves a purpose.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman
Best cost effective mod I've done is replacing the brake bleed valves to stainless steel ones. If you plan in keeping your car for a long time and do your own servicing you will know why! £2 per valve saves rusted snapped valves and expensive repairs in later years.

I've seen a lot of you guys spending a lot of cash on MODS apart from suspension and BHP and obviously brakes is the rest worth the time and cash.My hairdryers are std and just raged to an inch of their lives comments welcomed
I would like the new RS gear knob but every time I look at the £100 price tag I think again! Have spent a few quid on 'upgrades' for the bike but try to find mint used items. The thing is when selling a car/bike with mods you won't get the money back so I prefer to return to standard and sell mods on or buy used in the first place.

I changed the suspension to B14's as the standard suspension simply sat too high for my taste. The standard handling was excellent and I was surprised when the B14's turned out to be an improvement.
Engine-wise, the standard F4R was just too slow, or rather the car was too heavy for it. Yes it was fun but I got sick of changing down 2 or 3 gears just to overtake anything. I loved the Clio too much to sell it and buy something faster, which is what people usually tell you, so I did the megane engine.
As said, it's whatever floats your boat.

I've never been in to mods on my car before but as the Clio was bought as a fun car in addition to my daily I wanted to make it a bit more personal to me. Nothing too radical as I wanted to keep the usability & it's a long way to most track days from Inverness. I'm not interested in towing the car to them. Exhaust changed to add a little character but resonated as I don't want to be annoyed by it on those long drives. Remap to suit exhaust. Braided brake lines all round & Brembo HC discs with DS2500 pads up front for better performance on track, but still work fine from cold on the road. Biggest mod Quaife diff to help on track. Only done 1 track day since it was fitted & it was very wet so unsure how successful that mod has been, though by reputation it should be very much worthwhile. Graphics added just because I found the black/white combo a bit boring. I get why you don't mod your car Kevin as they're so good out of the box, though you have had remaps before no?

Reactions: ///M and Sean197
I've never been in to mods on my car before but as the Clio was bought as a fun car in addition to my daily I wanted to make it a bit more personal to me. Nothing too radical as I wanted to keep the usability & it's a long way to most track days from Inverness. I'm not interested in towing the car to them. Exhaust changed to add a little character but resonated as I don't want to be annoyed by it on those long drives. Remap to suit exhaust. Braided brake lines all round & Brembo HC discs with DS2500 pads up front for better performance on track, but still work fine from cold on the road. Biggest mod Quaife diff to help on track. Only done 1 track day since it was fitted & it was very wet so unsure how successful that mod has been, though by reputation it should be very much worthwhile. Graphics added just because I found the black/white combo a bit boring. I get why you don't mod your car Kevin as they're so good out of the box, though you have had remaps before no?
Just the Meg big old lass

Reactions: Johnny 99
Best cost effective mod I've done is replacing the brake bleed valves to stainless steel ones. If you plan in keeping your car for a long time and do your own servicing you will know why! £2 per valve saves rusted snapped valves and expensive repairs in later years.

M10 x 1.0?

It's such a personal thing. But I really like it. I find a lot of people go too far but that's just me. I like to try and keep it as OEM+ as possible. Also my motto for mods is only do the big stuff and when you're done look at the little bits if you need to.

I see quite a lot of people saying "oh I'd really like this or that but it's too expensive" and then they go and spend the price that was too expensive on loads and loads of little bits.

Save and do the big stuff. More fun.

It's such a personal thing. But I really like it. I find a lot of people go too far but that's just me. I like to try and keep it as OEM+ as possible. Also my motto for mods is only do the big stuff and when you're done look at the little bits if you need to.

I see quite a lot of people saying "oh I'd really like this or that but it's too expensive" and then they go and spend the price that was too expensive on loads and loads of little bits.

Save and do the big stuff. More fun.

Bang on. A few tweaks make the car more enjoyable. It's one of my hobbies as well as being my transport, so I don't mind spending a few quid on it.

Similar Thread Suggestions