MOT Fail - Rear Brakes

My beloved 197 has failed it's MOT on:

Rear brake recording little or no effort offside Rear
Parking brake: efficiency below requirements

Anyone whose mechanical know if these issues are related?

It's had new disks/pads on the back a few months back..

The handbrake is definitely not working on one side, last time i checked the foot brake did seem to lock the wheel, just going to get it jacked up and re-test this now.

Could this just be a seized caliper?

I'm off to the Wales rally next week and it's going to be a massive gripe if i can't get this sorted for then :worried:

My 197 Cup failed the MOT due to this, turned out to be a seized calliper. I also needed new discs and pads at the time.

Reactions: p3nn
My 197 Cup failed the MOT due to this, turned out to be a seized calliper. I also needed new discs and pads at the time.

Thanks for the reply, might order myself a new caliper just a bit unsure at the moment!

Did it fail on both parts like the above?

Got a seized offside caliper on mine got a new one on the way seems a common fault.

Calipers are well known for siezing up, can also be handbrake cables too so it's worth unhooking them and see if the arm springs back or not...

With a fair spray of WD-40 and working the caliper a bit you might get it through the MOT, ive had same issue last couple of years and they just need some TLC.

If there is trouble with rear calibers, best solution is to replace. My wife´s 1.6 dynamique calibers started sticking, (mostly handbrake mechanicsm). wd40+ freeing mechanisms only was help for some days. New calibers were permanent fix.

If there is trouble with rear calibers, best solution is to replace. My wife´s 1.6 dynamique calibers started sticking, (mostly handbrake mechanicsm). wd40+ freeing mechanisms only was help for some days. New calibers were permanent fix.

Permanent is a bit of a stretch, even new calipers will sieze eventually as the seals are naff, you can get rebuild kits for the pistons but the handbrake mechanism is a bit fiddly to sort out.

I just had both my rears replaced, £109 each IIRC from Renault Parts Direct. Not too expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro