MS 200 fun road and track car - and other car stuff!

Very good buy Matt, I've used those on other cars. Direzzas are superb and what I tend to use but at £170 a piece for 215 they're not exactly cheap.

Reactions: suj
If I’m honest my expectation is that it feels just like any other ATB diff, Quaife included. In terms of quality I don’t hold up Quaife as exceptional so would expect it again to be comparable.

Hope I’m not disappointed!
The Ashcroft ATB I bought for an MX5 was comparable and cost me £180 direct from the manufacturer at the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm not saying Quaife are fantastic, I have one but only because it was what I knew about. Being in my 50s I'm too used to associating Russian engineering with communist era stuff. I genuinely meant I am interested in your thoughts once you have had the diff for a bit. No reason why it should be bad, Skoda, the butt of many a joke in the '70s & 80's as an "Iron Curtain" product, are now one of the brands I really respect.

Brief MX2000 update as I’m gearing up for the year’s first track outing...

MOT was on Thursday, I was a bit nervy with such an extreme car and a new garage conducting the test since I’ve moved. Happily no problems and the garage owner saw it as the safe, well-prepared car it is rather than looking to find issues!

7C98F66F-F897-4BBC-8484-157A5A447170.jpeg

Whilst there I asked them to refit the splitter assembly, tighten the camber bolts and change the brake fluid saving me a few jobs. Annoyingly the brakes will need bleeding again as the pedal feels terrible.

Anyhow, got a few other bits done, GT500 Mustang vent fitted:

1B405E6E-FA76-49AF-A73A-0C903C8551FC.jpeg

AB9F4D6C-0A4C-4931-BF54-2DACA704DFB3.jpeg

0811DFD4-6AB8-4BDE-9439-64517C45E19D.jpeg

Interestingly, one of the things reported by folks with MX5s with functional aero, is that when venting the bonnet, front end grip increases at speed. It seems such a small and odd modification to make to achieve that, but the theory of releasing pressure there rather than going under the car seems understandable. I won’t be testing it as a change on it’s own, so won’t be able to make any useful conclusions, the great big splitter and canards at the front may well have a greater impact on the front end!
It’s getting the hot air from the multiple rads out of the engine bay quickly that I’m more interested in and I’m sure it will help there!

Simple HDPE slam panel made:

BE0DD3A2-6CD8-498F-BD2E-F1E02B8D7DAB.jpeg

And a bit of tartiness in a new plug cover:

DC2CEE3E-AE87-4F2B-AA1A-71E54590BA54.jpeg

I also pulled the fuel pump out to have a look, expecting to find something amiss. Last time out, with lower fuel I suffered some surge, no normally a problem with MX5s, even when running loads of power and as much or more grip than me.
Back to the drawing board on that as everything looked as it should with the pump and filter sock.

In other news, the Clio goes in today for replacement spherical bearings in the Compbrake top mounts, Eibach springs to replace the H&Rs and I’ve asked them to fit the steering wheel spacer.

One of the things I’ve found since moving to Lincs, is that I’m finding it more difficult to balance my time. It’s a hugely positive thing as being close to family now means enjoying more time with them. I’ve cut down my gym time to three times a week for the time being, work commitments are sensible but inflexible, so finding time to keep on top of all the cars becomes tricky. Maybe I shouldn’t try to do so much with them at once!!

Really like that mx5! Some proper pics of the front/whole car would be good!

Reactions: Pav
Bargainous track tyres for the Clio have arrived...

C4ABAE6C-AD5C-4891-A1C0-111300C486B7.jpeg

F8BB09C8-8A1F-41EA-880C-3DB94CCD925D.jpeg

They’re marked as Cooper RS3-Rs for a race series (BMW 330 Challenge) but they’re medium compound Avon ZZRs in a different dress.

Imagine they will endow the little terrier with even more grip!! :grinning:
Intention is to still use the AD08Rs on the rear, they don’t do much anyway, do they?...

Reactions: suj
Have been busy with trackday prep for Friday, handy having a shelf at the back...

7B8418C6-C914-4CC7-8F49-BEA6FBA356C3.jpeg

And looking badass...

33A523F9-74B8-484B-9433-87A1EDC1294E.jpeg

Exciting arrival for the Clio today!!! :grimacing:

AD9E6B7B-BABC-408A-A28F-9529A796519D.jpeg

Aghh, not that one, although, ‘silencio’ :sunglasses:

Here we go...

F08D5939-8C9A-4FF7-AB33-243C6C71B751.jpeg

No idea when it will get fitted, though I’ve got a clutch in hand for doing at the same time. Surely that makes it routine maintenance?... :tearsofjoy:

I am really curious to see your thoughts on the LSD. I have to do a gearbox rebuild, so I was just looking at getting a Quaife unit when I saw your post. Fingers crossed this one is good!

surprised you're going to leave the yokos on the rear. super sticky fronts and not so super sticky at the back. not sure if that's a good idea.

I used the MRFs front and Yokos rear before, interesting to see if the principle still works with the Avon’s.

In a nutshell the rears don’t do much by comparison so you need less grip than the front. Or at least that the idea I’m working on.

It’s something I’ve seen a fair bit of in racers and trackdayers, be it with wider fronts, less track biased tyres or both. If it oversteers all over the place I’ll know I need the other pair on the rear!! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: peter
I am really curious to see your thoughts on the LSD. I have to do a gearbox rebuild, so I was just looking at getting a Quaife unit when I saw your post. Fingers crossed this one is good!

I’ll be sure to provide plenty of feedback, I’ll most likely make a video documenting it too!

I don’t know when it will happen though as I’ve got plenty going on with various cars. That said it’s sat there in my office and could be in the car... :grinning:

I had the bearings replaced in the top mounts yesterday so took the opportunity to have the Eibachs fitted too.

On the Eibachs it sits slightly higher, which for me I probably prefer, the nose down rake has gone though which I’m not keen on.

0251806D-F8F8-4FB3-B6E5-3353A77ADE16.jpeg

As hoped the ride is better, feels more grown up. Low speed is the most apparent, it now feels like a firm performance car whereas before it felt a little crash comiared to other cars.
Having said that, the H&R springs and Konis were an improvement on the Cup suspension in that regard. It’s all exascerbated by the poor roads around here!

In terms of handling I think it’s lost a little edge, the initial turn in just a little duller compared to the H&Rs and it perhaps feels just a little less planted. It’s still super capable, just sacrifices a little dynamically for improved comfort and feeling better down more undulating or bumpy roads.

On track I imagine it will be less good than the H&Rs, but I do 4-5 trackdays in it a year and drive on the road most days. A compromise I’m happy to make! :grinning:

Good to hear, as I have Eibachs to go on, as I didn't want crashy H&Rs.

Also aren't the H&Rs 30mm front drop, 40mm rear, and Eibachs 30mm all round? If so shouldn't it have more nose down with Eibachs?

Good to hear, as I have Eibachs to go on, as I didn't want crashy H&Rs.

Also aren't the H&Rs 30mm front drop, 40mm rear, and Eibachs 30mm all round? If so shouldn't it have more nose down with Eibachs?

The H&Rs that come with the Konis are 30mm all around. I seem to recall the Eibachs are relative to the non-Cup suspension so work out differently when fitted to a Cup car.
Definitely less take now than with Cup or H&R springs.

The H&Rs that come with the Konis are 30mm all around. I seem to recall the Eibachs are relative to the non-Cup suspension so work out differently when fitted to a Cup car.
Definitely less take now than with Cup or H&R springs.

That's weird, as yours is an early big top mount design right? If so they come in 30/40mm, and 30/30mm for later

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tun...-mk3-h-r-sport-springs-rs-rs-cup-07-2006.html

https://www.kamracing.co.uk/car-tun...lio-mk3-h-r-sport-springs-rs-rs-cup-2010.html

I think maybe there were written wrong in the advert when you bought it?

EDIT:
Just seen that it says the Eibach springs are 20/25mm
https://www.kamracing.co.uk/manufac...it-springs-renault-clio-mk3-2-0-sport-rs.html

So should still be a rake, sorry went off topic, just curious as what you are saying is opposite to what I have heard from others.

I'm glad they are more compliant, as it's my daily doing 80 miles a day lol.