new camera

darren9

Paid Member
After some considerable years with an old point and shoot digital camera and cameras on phones we've just got a decent camera.

Its a Nikon D3300 and I have literally no idea how to use it. I've been told that leaving in auto is a complete waste of the camera but I'm baffled by options.

Does anyone have any tips? The camera will be used for car meets/events, trips to museums (mainly aviation) and photographing the children.

Thanks

I was in the same boat as you having always used my phone, when I got my first good camera I found a lot of useful information here: http://digital-photography-school.com/megapost-learning-how-to-use-your-first-dslr/

It helped me to understand the camera better, give it a good read so you understand what different modes/settings do and just snap away, as they say - practice makes perfect (although I'm still not very good :lol:smile:

You'll soon get used to it and will be taking better pictures in no time :thumbup1:

Oh and yes, the camera is linked to buying a car I actually like, the last time I bought a new camera was when I bought my 306gti6 and I took loads of pictures of that!

There are a lot of really excellent basics guides online but my advice would be to familiarise yourself with the settings and what these things mean and then have a play around. That's how you learn the most in all honesty. I'd start with the basics and play around shooting different subjects in different light conditions (mastering aperture), utilising different shutter speeds and trying your hand at mastering macro photography and good bokeh.

I'd also suggest that you quite simply take a LOT of photographs and that you invest in some good quality photo editing software. You'll be astounded at how much rescuing you can do of a photograph. Linked the this, ALWAYS shoot in RAW!! This allows maximum freedom in the editing process.

Guides such as this will give you a solid grounding of terminologies and principles:

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/pho...solutions-for-mastering-your-new-dslr-1320848

I wouldn't say leaving it in auto is a waste of time, you buy an SLR or CSC camera for the big sensor, so even in auto it gives you better photos in low light and harsh light.

i would learn by experimenting with the Tv and Av modes. Tv lets you control the shutter (time variable) and the aperture is automatic. Av lets you control the aperture and the shutter is automatic. Playing with these two will give you a better understanding of your camera.

I noticed you said aviation pics. If you're taking a picture of a propeller plane, you'll want to be using TV mode. The last thing you want to do is freeze the propellor as it's flying over. So, experiment in TV mode. You should be able to keep it in focus while following it through the sky at about 250th of a second. If you have it in auto, you might end up at something silly like 4000 th of a second, where the plane might as well be hung on ropes in a hangar.

AV is used for depth of field. To get that professional portrait look of your children, you want it at the maximum aperture (lowest F number). So, F4 (not sure what lens you have). Standing further back and zooming in will also increase this effect. Good luck. The best way to learn is to just have a go!