New Entry-Level Clio Cup Series Launched by Renault and BARC.

Yes mate.
We have a 20 min qualifying session on the Saturday followed by a 20 minute race, then the same on the Sunday.
Croft is this weekend, with Rockingham on 10th/11th August, but can't remember when Brands is without looking!

First off Good luck to Jake at Croft, wish i was there ( hope you got that Cut out sorted :wink: , i got an update yesterday, i guess you did aswell, bit late once we have been elsewhere to sort it )

I too have brought the complete kit and fitted it so my car is ready to go, but the costs just seem to be getting out of control, for Croft they said we would need to run control fuel at around £2.50 a ltr and they estimated i would maybe need for the test and the race meeting around 200 ltrs( how accurate this is i dont know, i guess Jake will know better) if they just let us run pump fuel from any station all the time it would save money( they have said you MUST buy fuel from the stations at the Circuit so everyone is using the same fuel, again this will push the costs up higher.
The meeting at Brands was £300 to enter for 2 x 15 min races and a 15 qualifying session and the rules are very lapse, they have said a roll cage ( i do have 1 for sale if anyones intereted :thumbup1:OMP FIA approved as i fitted the Safety Devices cage for the Michelin series to my car) fire extinguisher, fuel cut out etc and a few other basic safety fittments and away you go.
They are hoping to get more French cars involved ( so anything French) and if they get enough entries they will run the french cars on there own.
I am still hoping to race a round of the Michelin series ( maybe Rockingham ) but just cant justify the costs right now to only race with i think they have 4 or maybe 5 road converted cars in the race, the rest is made up of the Cup cars.
I was hoping the series would have a lot more cars 10 -15 at least then it makes it worth spending the money.
A few pictures below from Brands :headphone:

2013NipponBrandsRace2146_zps115dce6e.jpg
2013NipponBrandsRace109_zpsd74ee8f0.jpg
2013NipponBrandsRace1151_zps218f671d.jpg

Last edited:
How does the series compare to mx5? (Was it you that raced in Ma5da?)

should sell those headlight for some std ones for ££££. Everything counts.

How does the series compare to mx5? (Was it you that raced in Ma5da?)

should sell those headlight for some std ones for ££££. Everything counts.

Hi Yes it was me who raced the Mx5's (still got it sat at work if anyone wants to buy it :wink:) to be honest the costs for the week end were very simular, tyre prices are more now but the other costs, so far are around the same, entry and fuel wise.
They all seemed a good bunch and very friendly, i did have a guy after qualifying ask me if my missis knew i had borrowed her car :whatever: :poke: so made sure i beat him ha ha.
I would prefer to be racing in a 1 make series for obvious reasons, but the costs involved to race with 4 - 5 cars seem excessive ( for me to race at Croft would have cost me around £1750, Brands would have cost me less than half of that included the track day the day before)

Yep i guess the lights should be changed, who want's them, ha ha and how much is it worth to me ha ha, need money to race :driveby:
:driveby::driveby::driveby:

:poke:

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have just returned from Rockingham. I have spent the afternoon with SWB motorsport who run two cars in the Road series of the Michelin Clio Cup. One of the drivers, Sam Randon I know very well from teaching him for two years at my school. I have followed his progress a for a few years where he has progressed from Karting into his first year in the Road Series. Along with sponsorship, his father Neil helps with funding and is hoping to keep him in the series for another year. If any businesses out there who would be willing to sponsor him, his father and the team have a few different sponsorship options available.

It was a great race with the majority of the action taking place between the three (yes only three) cars in the Road Series (2 SWB and Jake). It would be great if more people entered this. I picked up a leaflet about entering a car if anyone wants anymore details. The conversion, as mentioned earlier in the thread, costs £3760.54 +VAT in kit form from Monster Sport Europe plus the Safety devices cage at £1000 + VAT.

A couple of pics which include the 200's up front from the Clio Cup (they were around 6 seconds a lap faster than the Road Series):
Many thanks to Neil, Sam and SWB for the warm welcome and their hospitality, my brother and I really enjoyed it.

image-14.jpg
image-13.jpg
image-16.jpg

Last edited:
I have brought the kit, got everything needed including the control oil in the car( which is not included in the kit price) I have emailed b4 each round to see if they have anymore entries, if they get more i would be in.
i even emailed twice this week to ask if they had anymore entries and guess what, I got no reply?
i think they are now looking at me as a time waster, but I have stepped up and brought kit, so am I, I don't think so?
you also forgot to mention the registration fee for the series, if I remember correct its £950 a year, in my last email this week I sort of in a round about way said if I didn't have to pay this fee I would be at Rockingham, but as said I got no answer?
They have said that as there are only 2 rounds left they would drop the price to reflect, but still it was I think around £250 on top of the entry fee and then only 3 cars?
i did a track day at Rockingham and spoke to the road car boys and they said they wish there were more cars in the series?
dont get me wrong I'm not knocking the series as I would like to do it, but the entry fee and registration to race 3 cars is just too high.
i raced the French trophy at mallory last week end, 14 cars and £300 entry fee, the guy running it gave me free registration to get more people entered and it worked, my car was out of its league as I was running the spec for the michelin Clio series so basically standard and now I am trying to decide, sell the car and buy a car which is competitive in the French trophy or keep it and race the michelin series, but 3 -4 cars?
I could be persuaded to sell the car I guess for the right money but I do want to race it???
anyone want to pay my registration and i'll be at the last round at brands :driveby:

Next year this series is expected to grow massively!
They are looking at around 24 'race' cars, as many will drop from the UK Clio Cup as the new cars are a bit of a handful. (Gearbox has to come out after every race along with rolling starts now taking place in Europe because of problems with clutches etc)
We are also looking at an estimated 10 cars in the road class for 2014, which would be perfect and then we could have a race of our own!
Costs are expected to remain similar however the registration fee is likely to increase slightly, due to there being an extra 2 rounds next year, so that is understandable.

If anyone is seriously interested in converting their car, drop me a PM. I have loads of brochures that I am happy to send out and try and promote the series. I am also happy for people to come along and look at the car. Monster Sport also have a demo car, which many of you will have seen at FCS. That will also be racing at Brands in September with a guest driver at the wheel!

Get yourself along Nick! Even if you do the Saturday, you'll love it! Trust me!

Next year this series is expected to grow massively!
They are looking at around 24 'race' cars, as many will drop from the UK Clio Cup as the new cars are a bit of a handful. (Gearbox has to come out after every race along with rolling starts now taking place in Europe because of problems with clutches etc)
We are also looking at an estimated 10 cars in the road class for 2014, which would be perfect and then we could have a race of our own!
Costs are expected to remain similar however the registration fee is likely to increase slightly, due to there being an extra 2 rounds next year, so that is understandable.

If anyone is seriously interested in converting their car, drop me a PM. I have loads of brochures that I am happy to send out and try and promote the series. I am also happy for people to come along and look at the car. Monster Sport also have a demo car, which many of you will have seen at FCS. That will also be racing at Brands in September with a guest driver at the wheel!

Get yourself along Nick! Even if you do the Saturday, you'll love it! Trust me!

I know what your saying jake ,maybe maybe not, to be honest I could be tempted to sell for the right price

New to the whole clio scene but im having a go at this championship this year, complete novice to racing but really looking forward to it. Anyone else on hear having a blast ? I know jake on here is a dab hand and looking forward to meeting him on the test day in march but my car is still sat on the trailer as a road car so better pull my finger out lol.

Bars test passed yesterday, car very nearly complete so should be good for the start of the season. Looks like there are quite a few doing it this year so should be fun.

Cool, the car is number 5, red and black but doubt we will get there as i havent finished the car yet and still waiting for parts, think we will be going in at the deep end at the first race with zero testing so wish us luck. Have fun at the media day.

Report from Clio Cup Series web site

Road Series runner Pinder utterly dominant in season-opener

The entire Rockingham weekend was all about Luke Pinder in the Michelin Clio Cup Road Series, he was never headed at any stage and totally dominated by locking out all three pole positions, setting fastest lap in each race and taking a dream hat-trick of wins.

Jade Developments team-mate Jake Honour (Devizes) wrapped-up three runner-up placings, although his weekend wasn’t completely straightforward after tight battles with CGH Imports.com racer Nic Harrison (Burton-on-Trent), Paint Perfect Motorsport’s John Creasey (Lincoln) and Go Racing Motorsport’s Matt Fincham (Aylesbury).
While Harrison rounded-out the podium in the first two races, Fincham claimed a maiden Road Series rostrum on his first weekend in the category in round three – just reward after a very challenging debut which was compromised by a series of mechanical issues.
Luke Pinder:
“It’s been the perfect weekend I suppose, it’s what we came to do. We said it would be absolutely amazing if we could do it, three wins, three poles, three fastest laps, and we achieved it – amazing weekend. I think it’ll be a good season in the Road Series.”