Newbie looking for first Clio o.O

Hi guys, I'm Dave. Just thought I'd introduce myself. I have a regular hobby of karting and after a spell of doing that I bought my own kart. Realising how late I started (under two years ago) with no previous race or mechanical experience it lost its appeal to stay on the owners side of things. I've now got all my kart stuff up for sale including trailer and cheap runaround. Once all my stuff has sold I should be looking around the 4K mark. After trawling round for a fast road car that could handle a few track days here and there. My heart is now well and truly set on a 197 (can't find same spec 200 for that price range) and in particular the full fat f1 edition. So hopefully I'll be in the market soon. I can't look on the classifieds on this page as it says I don't have the permission though. Looking forward to getting my first 197!

Welcome along Dave!
For the princely sum of £5 you can become a member and unlock all access to the forum. It's worth its weight in saffron.
I don't think there are too many for sale on here at the moment, but have noticed LOADS on AutoTrader this week. Sadly for us, and even better for you, the prices have really dropped on these cars. Was chatting with @///M the other day and found a nice example of a Glacier White 197 Cup for £3,800 and looked a really good deal, too!
The F1's worth buying will be over your budget and are harder to find now they have become increasingly more desirable. Anything close to £4k will likely be a dog. Remember, you can always add the seats after - the market was flooded with Recaro's lately so can be bought for a good price. My advice is to find something that's mechanically and cosmetically sound and build from there (which is what I did).
We're a friendly bunch and always happy to answer any questions you may have.

Welcome along Dave!
For the princely sum of £5 you can become a member and unlock all access to the forum. It's worth its weight in saffron.
I don't think there are too many for sale on here at the moment, but have noticed LOADS on AutoTrader this week. Sadly for us, and even better for you, the prices have really dropped on these cars. Was chatting with @///M the other day and found a nice example of a Glacier White 197 Cup for £3,800 and looked a really good deal, too!
The F1's worth buying will be over your budget and are harder to find now they have become increasingly more desirable. Anything close to £4k will likely be a dog. Remember, you can always add the seats after - the market was flooded with Recaro's lately so can be bought for a good price. My advice is to find something that's mechanically and cosmetically sound and build from there (which is what I did).
We're a friendly bunch and always happy to answer any questions you may have.

This is sound advice from our Micah!

At £4k, I'd advise not getting an R27 (F1 Edition). Around the price range you're looking at they're all going to be very high mileage and probably a bit rough around the edges.

As Micah already pointed out, it's not all bad news. There are some very good, very affordable 197s available right now. The prices have dropped considerably recently and I think they're now at the bottom of the curve so now is a good time to buy.

Just go for the car that's in the very best condition you can find. Don't get too hung up on spec as it matters little when you're behind the wheel. If you're after creature comforts, this isn't really that sort of car. It's much more about the driving experience with a definite focus on fun.

Try Facebook too, there are always lots of cars available on there. Many of them absolute dogs but there is always a chance of a diamond in the rough, especially given how many I've seen for sale on there.

As I say to every prospective buyer, get the buyers guide saved to your phone and have it with you for quick reference when looking at a car.

Best of luck with the search and shout if you need advice, you'll find loads of valuable help in here.

Reactions: Jimmy and Cossers
Echo the above, just depends on how clean you want your car and how much your prepared to do, I'll be honest, condition and history is always key to me, it the perfect indication as to how the cars been kept, I didn't have my heart set on an F1 but when this one came up it's was absolutely pristine with a fantastic history and low miles, I did pay a bit more for it but I didn't mind, tbh if the car had been on mainland U.K. For sale it would have probably went for more than I paid!

Buy in condition and history first and spec after as most can be updated

Reactions: ///M
Echo the above, just depends on how clean you want your car and how much your prepared to do, I'll be honest, condition and history is always key to me, it the perfect indication as to how the cars been kept, I didn't have my heart set on an F1 but when this one came up it's was absolutely pristine with a fantastic history and low miles, I did pay a bit more for it but I didn't mind, tbh if the car had been on mainland U.K. For sale it would have probably went for more than I paid!

Buy in condition and history first and spec after as most can be updated

You were lucky and got an absolute beauty that had been really well looked after!

Hi Dave.

Great advice so far - and I'm supposed to be working.

So just a warm welcome to the forum is all I can offer :smile:

Best of luck with your search.

Reactions: Dave Cyrus
Thanks for the replies. There seems to be a few on Facebook within the 197 pages. Since posting my own hello message and introduction on their Facebook group I've already had a few people trying to sell me theirs. Assuming I'd be better off buying from someone like that who is an enthusiast rather than a trader. Although I saw this one I liked.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...325950?hash=item33cc25423e:g:cx0AAOSwiDFYPqO1
Any thoughts?

Not sure on that one to be honest, plus the stickers are horrendous. It has the Speedline wheels which is a bonus.
This is what I was chatting to Mes about on Monday.

"
Not sure on that one to be honest, plus the stickers are horrendous. It has the Speedline wheels which is a bonus.
This is what I was chatting to Mes about on Monday.
Wow that is nice. Forgive my ignorance - that is a cup Clio which is what I want for the better ride on track days right? A bit gutted it doesn't have the recaros or keyless cos I like those massively but still. Looks like it's been looked after very very well. Haha the stickers could come off on the red one though. I just meant in general was it ok?

Yes, a Cup chassis will be indicated by the red calipers and will therefore have a firmer ride. The Cup model mostly has the creature comforts stripped out so it's lighter. Some do have aircon though if that's a must have.
Going back to the red one, that's not bad considering the spec, and obviously needs a bit of haggling depending on various things like when the belts are due, cost to repair the driver side bolster on the seat etc.
There's actually a 200 up for £4,500 no offers in white that looks pretty good also. Then again, what you see in the advert and what you see in the flesh can be 2 very different things.

Yes, a Cup chassis will be indicated by the red calipers and will therefore have a firmer ride. The Cup model mostly has the creature comforts stripped out so it's lighter. Some do have aircon though if that's a must have.
Going back to the red one, that's not bad considering the spec, and obviously needs a bit of haggling depending on various things like when the belts are due, cost to repair the driver side bolster on the seat etc.
There's actually a 200 up for £4,500 no offers in white that looks pretty good also. Then again, what you see in the advert and what you see in the flesh can be 2 very different things.

Very true. So in regards to this £5 membership. Is that per week, month, year or what? What does the paid membership grant access to also? So keep an eye out for the red brembos and pray someone hasn't just painted them? I'm easily duped lol as stated I have no idea about cars I just like to drive.

Very true. So in regards to this £5 membership. Is that per week, month, year or what? What does the paid membership grant access to also? So keep an eye out for the red brembos and pray someone hasn't just painted them? I'm easily duped lol as stated I have no idea about cars I just like to drive.

The membership is for a year. You get access to the all the guides and classifieds. The guides have made me understand the car a bit more and actually done work myself, which is very satisfying (until I buggered something up). If you want to own a Clio, you need to be part of this forum as everything is at your fingertips.

The membership is for a year. You get access to the all the guides and classifieds. The guides have made me understand the car a bit more and actually done work myself, which is very satisfying (until I buggered something up). If you want to own a Clio, you need to be part of this forum as everything is at your fingertips.

I'll do that then. Where do I go to upgrade membership or whatever? Sounds beneficial to me. Just checked out that 200. Now I've done a fair bit of reading up about 197-200 and 197 got some bad reviews for flat spots etc. Is the 200 really that much better? I know that 200 didn't have many toys on it but obviously newer and less miles. I'd prefer a 197 kitted up but obviously don't want a worse car and wish I'd have got a 200 when it comes to a track

Welcome to the forum, Dave!

Hopefully the answers and advice you've had so far have given you a flavour of what the community is like on here - everyone is always happy to help; an incredibly friendly bunch!

Good luck in your search for the right car, hopefully we'll be able to help you on the way!

EDIT: Memberships can be accessed through the link at the top of the page :thumb:

Thanks for the replies. There seems to be a few on Facebook within the 197 pages. Since posting my own hello message and introduction on their Facebook group I've already had a few people trying to sell me theirs. Assuming I'd be better off buying from someone like that who is an enthusiast rather than a trader. Although I saw this one I liked.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...325950?hash=item33cc25423e:g:cx0AAOSwiDFYPqO1
Any thoughts?

Be careful with the Facebook cars. The guys on there are not all what I'd call proper enthusiasts. The majority of them are just kids who happen to have a Clio. The proper enthusiast owners are on here.

Reactions: Jimmy and Johnny 99
Oh right. Thanks for the heads up. What's your take on the 197 vs 200 please? Trying to work out if it's better to get a bog standard 200 for my budget if possible or a decent spec 197

Oh right. Thanks for the heads up. What's your take on the 197 vs 200 please? Trying to work out if it's better to get a bog standard 200 for my budget if possible or a decent spec 197

The differences aren't really enough to influence your choice of car. Personally, I much prefer the looks of the 197 in both the front bumper, wheels design and rear diffuser. Everything else is pretty much the same really apart from the Renault Sport badge, the colour of the clocks and the material used on the seats. Gear ratios are very slightly different (again I prefer the more racey nature of the 197 but the 200 is slightly more refined at motorway cruising speed) and if you go for a Cup pack car the 200 suspension is a little stiffer. I'm probably missing something but those are the headlines.

Again, go for the best car you can, once it's yours you'll love it for what it is anyway. I've only ever bought one car that was exactly in the spec I wanted. The others have all been compromises for some reason or another. Been happy as funk with all of them!

Reactions: Jimmy