Currently looking for a new track toy and i keep coming back to the Clio.

I have spoken to a few people on track days with Clio's with mixed opinion on what model is best for my use.

The Clio 197 appears to be available at reasonable prices currently and i do prefer the look of them over the 1*2's. Even though have been told by 1*2 owners theirs are better for track work?

I have read the buyers guide on here, which is very helpful. Is there any additional advice?

What sort of mods are required to get the 197 to work ok and its best on track?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Alan

Depending how far you want to oh welcome to the Family but out the box they are on the money.But coilovers buckets remove the interior.Its a personal thing mines just my everything track work social car.Good luck finding the right one they are very addictive

Reactions: ///M
Welcome mate. Some good tyres and good track brake pads and you're good to go. Coupled with some springs or coilovers and there's not much that will keep up with you into and through the corners.

My 1st mod for track work was braided brake lines with uprated front pads, front discs & fluid. It depends how far you want to go really. I find the cup chassis on the 200 fine at the moment, being new to track days, but 197 cup is slightly softer than 200. It is arguable that 1*2 makes for a better track car, but they're getting older now & I don't think the difference is night & day. 197/200s make great track cars.

Reactions: Jimmy
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I am not new to trackdays, but not used to front wheel drive cars on track. I do enjoy tinkering with cars and set up nearly as much as driving. Hence why i know i will be changing things as soon as i find one i want.

Welcome to the forum Alan...... :smile:

I'd personally get a 197 over a 182 for new'ness, sheer availability of parts and looks over the 1*2 if nothing else. From my somewhat limited experience - the alleged prowess of the earlier models over the mark 3's is just that: 'alleged' !

What do you really need to make it track-worthy ? Very little !!! As above.....

Enjoy your stay here.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paul_D New Members 3
lou tennant New Members 13
T New Members 17
Garysp2 New Members 4
R Clio 197 Area 6