No start, any ideas?

Gorman

Paid Member
Guys, replaced the engine bay fuse/relay box with a 2nd hand item as my dipped beam relay melted and I had an auto electrician "repair" it to no avail.

Swapped any relays/fuses correctly over and plugged it in. Relays clicking away (have dipped beams) but the car won't unlock the steering and won't start.

Anyone got any ideas???20190408_185544.jpg

This is the box I'm talking about.

I know it's not "just do it", but to try to insert the old fuse box and check if the steering wheels unlocks? If the car then can be started, then the box you have somewhere it has a fault.
If you do not manage to start the car, then it's not the box.

@turkie172 knows has a wide knowledge with clios, maybe he could help you out with some better advices.

I know it's not "just do it", but to try to insert the old fuse box and check if the steering wheels unlocks? If the car then can be started, then the box you have somewhere it has a fault.
If you do not manage to start the car, then it's not the box.

@turkie172 knows has a wide knowledge with clios, maybe he could help you out with some better advices.

That's exactly what I did, and it unlocked straight away and started, ran no problem. My only issue is that I have no dipped lights as theres no power coming to the relay (all others work fine incl fogs).

OK the way I am looking at this is if you got a used part from breakers the push button start cars are rare so check the part numbers of the old unit against the new one. Also the 197 model and the face lift 200 model have some core wiring and electrical changes like dash loom and the radio type the outside tell tale sign. So if the old unit goes back in and the steering unlocks and starts most likely you have just got the wrong power switching unit If you want to PM me your cars ID stickers and the cars options climate control, xenon headlights, cup model (normal keys) or 197 (push button start) I might be able to look up the part numbers. Don't be fooled by numbers on the plastics you will probably find a label on the back as the shell will be the same but the internals maybe different but you might be able to use the shell and relay holder parts to fix your old one with these cars always look for parts using part numbers not the type or description of the car with the part number you might be able to google that and find descriptions to other models the 1.2 TCE Clio is very close engine loom wise to the 197 make sure its from the same year I'm not sure if they are push button start.
upload_2019-4-10_11-49-55.png

Reactions: majki