Off to Wales - need recommendations

Adrian

Platinum Legend
Platinum Member
Got a few weeks off in July so I have decided to go on a photography / driving holiday in Wales. Never been before so I need to fill a week combining both activities. Any recommendations? Looking at central / southern area and the coast. Want good roads and good scenery.

Most will probably harp on about the "Evo Triangle" but we found it "a bit ****" compared to other roads.

The B4391 is excellent between Ffestiniog and the A4212

The A4068 through the valley to the Dinorwic slatemine/power station is excellent for scenery, and the power station tour is cool (and slightly mind boggling) if you fancy a break.

Also do the Great Orme at Llandudno on your way back.

Few pics...

On top of the Great Orme
EXP_20100327_486.jpg

Menai Bridge
EXP_20100327_485.jpg

Dinorwic (and power station entrance)
EXP_20100327_484.jpg

A4068
EXP_20100327_483.jpg

Beach near Porthmadog
EXP_20100325_482.jpg

Valley near Snowdon (cant remember where exactly lol)
EXP_20100325_481.jpg

Most will probably harp on about the "Evo Triangle" but we found it "a bit ****" compared to other roads.

The B4391 is excellent between Ffestiniog and the A4212

The A4068 through the valley to the Dinorwic slatemine/power station is excellent for scenery, and the power station tour is cool (and slightly mind boggling) if you fancy a break.

Also do the Great Orme at Llandudno on your way back.

Just had a look on google maps and the B4391 and the A4212 is the road I love! I've only been down it in my old 1.2 Clio but seriously need to go in my 197. The roads are brilliant and I recommend them to anyone!

conwy_castle.jpg

north-wales.jpg

I'm from South Wales and my fav route is,

Pontypool to Abergavenny on A4042
Abergavenny through Crickhowell A40
Turn right on to the Builth Wells road (A479 then A470)
Head to Rhayader. Once in the small town, turn left to Elan village & valley. There are over 4 dams up there and the largest you can walk over to a viewing point in the middle-not for the weak hearted), cracking scenery! also Devils bridge which is awesome!
From there go on the A44 to Aberystwyth for coast/beach.
The whole route is on google maps. Damn good drive/scenery/coast.

Devils bridge,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Elan Dams,

Aberwystwyth,

Last edited:
Just had a look on google maps and the B4391 and the A4212 is the road I love! I've only been down it in my old 1.2 Clio but seriously need to go in my 197. The roads are brilliant and I recommend them to anyone!

It is unreal, and i shat myself the first time i realised i was along side that 100foot deep valley with nothing but a dry stone to keep you company :smiley:

Ive got vids too, but i dare not upload them.

Never another car in sight either!