Oil Consumption

Quite common to burn some oil when running in and also common for cars to use a small amount of oil between services which is nothing to worry about. However if you're using a lot of oil it could be something more serious

mines has done 25000 and its still consumeing alot of oil renault are gonna look at it on tuesday along with my gearbox

dealer said to take the car to service every 10000km,new oil when i reached 1000km then at around 3800km a warning came up saying 'im low on oil, got it filled for free and now i'm at around 5100 km and i'm low on oil again!?

Make sure they check everything when its in the dealers mate, I recently had an oil leak on my rocker housing. It sailed through an Service and "Health Check" untill I picked up on it a week later and took it back in (MOT due like a week later luckily) and had them repair it before my warranty ran out.

What causes low mileage/new cars to consume alot of oil?

its normally just a cause of bedding in of engine parts etc

but with long service intervals etc some cars have an oil thirst so that the oil is refreshed to a certain amount during its long service interval when you top up

if its done a few miles it can be down to normally "normal" engine wear which is usually the valve guides and piston rings

and of course from general leaks from the engine seals - either front crank or rear seals and sump seal - but these you would see the oil on the ground or undertray

Last edited:
Fred@BTM seemed to mention something about a "common oil leak" around the engine/gearbox join when he was looking at my 200.

Sorry i dont know much more than that as it was just a passing comment.

I havent really lost much oil since having the 200. Ive done 2500 miles in it.
Last time i checked, a couple weeks back, it was bang in the middle of that stick thing :blush:

I let mine go down to the last "o______" and it took the whole 1L bottle to get it back to "oooooooo_". Ive ordered another off Ebay to place back in the boot for £8.

What's the mileage?

Probably depends how it's driven, if you drive it in the higher rev bands most of the time, you'll likely consume more oil.

Most engines do use a bit of oil, I'd be concerned if it was excessive.

I'd hope, given how new Clio 197s are that none of them are burning oil due to worn valve stem seals or worse, worn piston rings. :glare:

Tim