pipe removal

ive just read the if you remove the bent pipe next to the air filter box, (unplug it but leave it connected the other end) its creates awesome induction noise and helps air flow at low speeds as it only opens at high rpm anyway.
anyone heard of this before and is it safe to do without damaging engine?

That's the acoustic valve.
Fine to do that but the noise ain't that much louder.

I'm sure Renault didn't go through the expensive and effort of designing the extra intake for no reason, don't assume that permanently opening the valve will result in more power at low rpm.

The reason it only feeds from the front bumper CAD at low rpm is because the auxillary inlet draws in warm air.

Many people have forced this open with screws etc, but hardly none have reported gains in performance. If it was that easy renault wouldnt have stuck a butterfly valve there to block it off!

If you want sound over performance, just take the airbox lid off.

my car

ok thanks all for your help, i was just wondering as i ad just read it, im happy with the car as standard for now, then when i get fed up wiv it i may consider remap and exhaust, wudnt mind a bit of a louder sound

They have two cats and it can still pass the MoT criteria just barely with the pre-cat ( manifold cat ) working on its own. So its technically just as legal as any other backbox modification.

The auxillary air inlet feeds into the airbox Ben, so its filtered.

The auxillary air inlet feeds into the airbox Ben, so its filtered.

Of course!

Guessing one reason they may use this additional intake is so the main throttle body can be more open at low rpm, the throttle body is a massive restriction on the intake (Large reason why diesels are more efficient - no throttle body) so having less air means it needs to be more open, reducing the restriction and increasing fuel economy. Then when the extra air is needed allow more air in from intake 2.

Could be completely wrong but makes some sense

A good opinion mate, i cant see why you'd be wrong although i have no knowledge in that prinicple either.

Lol @ taking the airbox lid off

If you want induction noise just get an ebay open cone and wack that on for about £7 lol

All that will happen is you'll get a nice noise and the fuel guage will plummet quicker than they do already though

Lol @ taking the airbox lid off

If you want induction noise just get an ebay open cone and wack that on for about £7 lol

All that will happen is you'll get a nice noise and the fuel guage will plummet quicker than they do already though

I think my fuel gauge moves quicker than my rev counter anyway lol.

YEP! Last week I wondered why my friend was pulling away from me in his golf tdi, then i looked at where I was changing gear................... 4.5K

Schoolboy error >.<

I've done it to mine and removed the fog light and put a cold air feed pipe in not made loads of difference but engine run so much cooler