Porsche 919 - Nürburgring Lap Record

suj

Paid Member
I did a quick search couldn't find anything on here, apologies if it's a duplication.

So the lap record for the Ring was set by Stefan Bellof in 1983 in a Porsche 956 during qualifying.
The lap he did was 6.11:13

Well then Porsche decided to take their 919 Hybrid Evo car which was run in WEC (World Endurance Championship) and removed all the restrictions from the WEC (power limitation, aero limitation etc) just to make a Halo car to see what it can do.

Earlier in the year it beat the Spa lap record, then it set it's sights on the Ring record, as it has stood for 35years!

Well it hasn't just beaten it, it smashed it, it did a 5.19:55, this is nearly a minute off, or a 1/6th! This is just mind boggling, normally a few seconds off is enough, but this much is just crazy

Just watching the video it looks fake, due to the speeds and downforce.

Also the "boost" isn't turbo boost, it's a KERS type system (hence the "Hybrid" in the name) so it builds up and my god it takes off when pushed!

205mph through foxhole, I still cannot fathom even after watching it!
Also that works out an average of 145.3mph...AVERAGE!

Many people are in the "it doesn't count, it's not in race conditions" camp, but then others saying "Qualifying was no where near race conditions, they used to wack boost up and do things that wouldn't be done in races".

All that arguing aside, it's an amazing achievement, Bellof's lap will always be special, as the track has changed and so has technology, but I still think this is an amazing achievement.

230mph on the limiter down the long straight before the end! Car is awesome, driver has some skill, mental speed, I’m almost as impressed as some of the rally vids where they pull 100+mph round bends and through forests :openmouth:

Seems to be at the same time as the viewer I’m watching it with and it is a record, so no, I just think it’s the fastest car I’ve ever seen round the ring! Wonder what a well set up Aston Martin Vulcan would do, or a koenigsegg one - one... gotta be 6-7 mins I’d think which is still mega fast... but the Porsche is unreal!