Powder Coated wheels

Big Ben

Loves to rag the VAG!
Paid Member
Anyone know someone who does as the title says and powder coats wheels?

I'm based in Herts but would travel up to an hour.

Have been quoted £55 +vat per wheel at Letchworthdiamondwheels that's without any tyres on wheels

@Mossy said tup north it more like £30!

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

Last edited:

Have been quoted £55 +vat per wheel at Letchworthdiamondwheels that's without tyre removal

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers

£160 all-in here for 4 x 17" wheels.

Trouble you get for living in such a posh area Ben :smile:

I got quoted £50 per wheel in Manchester, I wouldn't really want to pay any less for fear of a terrible job.

Reactions: ///M

Have been quoted £55 +vat per wheel at Letchworthdiamondwheels that's without tyre removal

Any suggestions welcome

Cheers
When you say without tyre removal, is that extra? Surely they have to take the tyre off?

When you say without tyre removal, is that extra? Surely they have to take the tyre off?
£5 extra for tyre removal and refitting. I've got a spare set of alloys that I want to get coated

Depends entirely on the job you want mate. Quote you've been given is totally fair if the company is decent. My guy would be £75 per wheel but I know there's no one who'd do a better job. You can get it done WAY cheaper but having seen what that can be like I'd be going for a better job.

Our R27 has had a cheap job done and they're really not great. Passable just but I'm happy they're going soon.

Reactions: Big Ben
Depends entirely on the job you want mate. Quote you've been given is totally fair if the company is decent. My guy would be £75 per wheel but I know there's no one who'd do a better job. You can get it done WAY cheaper but having seen what that can be like I'd be going for a better job.

Our R27 has had a cheap job done and they're really not great. Passable just but I'm happy they're going soon.
What makes a decent job @///M Wherever I've looked they all seem to go through the same process

ie chemical dip, shot/sand blast then powder coated

Should I be looking for a top coat or a different stage in between? Or is it just down to how well they do each stage?

I'm new to this as you can tell...!

What makes a decent job @///M Wherever I've looked they all seem to go through the same process

ie chemical dip, shot/sand blast then powder coated

Should I be looking for a top coat or a different stage in between? Or is it just down to how well they do each stage?

I'm new to this as you can tell...!

Mate, I wish I could tell you. But as with anything, you get what you pay for.

The process could well be the same, but it's the quality of the process and the attention to detail that matters. I've seen quite a few cheap jobs that have flaked and cracked.

I have however seen some cheaper ones that have seemed to last ok.

Mate, I wish I could tell you. But as with anything, you get what you pay for.

The process could well be the same, but it's the quality of the process and the attention to detail that matters. I've seen quite a few cheap jobs that have flaked and cracked.

I have however seen some cheaper ones that have seemed to last ok.
Sounds like a lottery then:excited:

I'll buy a ticket and see what happens lol

Sounds like a lottery then:excited:

I'll buy a ticket and see what happens lol

With something like this, you can almost always find the answers you need by looking the company up thoroughly online. If they've done crappy work, there will be evidence of it on a forum somewhere!

Reactions: Jimmy
Ive gone off powdercoating. If the chip yoi end up with big flakes coming off and seem to be generally softer than painted ones. Then they dont mate up properly to the hub due to the thickness of it and breaks off, same with the bolt holes.
A proper repaint is the way forward in my opinion.
Each to thier own though.

Ive gone off powdercoating. If the chip yoi end up with big flakes coming off and seem to be generally softer than painted ones. Then they dont mate up properly to the hub due to the thickness of it and breaks off, same with the bolt holes.
A proper repaint is the way forward in my opinion.
Each to thier own though.

I've personally had no big chips on p/coated wheels when lacquered at all. I've had a few stone-chips too. But never has it flaked off in a big chunk. I know how it can go once the surface is broken; and what you mean though !

My p/coaters masks off the hub mating surface - ensuring no fitment issues and i've never had a problem with paint coming off around bolt holes either.

7_zps6i35b6al.jpg

This through 5 or 6 sets painted in the last 15 years.

Can only speak as i've found :smile:

Reactions: ///M and fireheed

Similar Thread Suggestions