R26 conversion!

Having just bought a 250 engine I no longer need my R26 block which is currently in my Clio 200. If you're already in this section you'll know it's a relatively straight forward conversion.

No issues with the engine hence why I am putting up for sale whilst it's still in the car so that people can be taken for a test drive etc. Recently serviced and cambelt etc changed last year when the conversion was originally done.

Haven't concluded a price yet as they seem to vary a lot on eBay but certainly open to offers.

As above I'm more than happy to take anyone out for a test drive whilst it's still in the car, more so to show what it's like in a 197/200 (you won't be disappointed), also to make note of how it's all done.

I'm still waiting for my 250 engine to arrive so it will be in my car for a good 2 weeks.

What's the reason changing the engine. Going for more power without forging the R26 lump?

A few reasons tbh, I got the engine at a really good price that it technically shouldn't cost me anything to change, allows me to also sort a few niggly bits in the process and also a slight increase in power with a more reliable engine. [MENTION=40387]glenn3[/MENTION]

Sounds good!

I think I will get this summer out of mine and then think about forging the R26 lump.

A few reasons tbh, I got the engine at a really good price that it technically shouldn't cost me anything to change, allows me to also sort a few niggly bits in the process and also a slight increase in power with a more reliable engine. @glenn3

Sounds cool.

I've heard its pretty straight forward.
Are you going to offer the plug and play complete set?

thanks!

Coen

How much would you say a would a mechanic charge to do the swap? Just as you say it is a relatively straight forward conversion. And what else would be recommended to change to suit the new engine? eg gearbox etc... (I don't know too much on R26 engine swaps lol)

I think SC, or maybe RS Tuning, I'm not sure, were offering £1500 to complete the conversion, with you providing all the bits of course.

I'm doing mine on my own, I've budgeted £3.5k.

I know Josh from Cooksport knows a fair bit about that and he's who I am talking to about this.. maybe you can drop him an email for info?

It's a relatively easy swap but there are things that you need to do that aren't mentioned anyway. Like the exhaust, coolant system and loom etc

will every thing work the same from the 225 engine to the 250 ie intercooler and wireing?

I think the only differences between the two are the bottom end (250 has stronger rods and perhaps lower comp pistons), the turbo, and the vvt on the 250. I'm not sure if you could use the 225 wiring loom and ecu on the 250 engine and just leave the vvt in situ and not working. Megane forums would be the best place to research, I've found loads of info about my conversion on there.

Ran a 250 engine for over 2 years now. Wiring same. Ecu same. IC Pipe work different. TB different. Better for torque but generates lots of heat. It's harder to get the power out than R26 cause fueling. Needs much more thought where R26 is more plug and play. It's worth remembering that the ecu was made for R26 and not the 250. 250 ecu manages variable maps and the VVT. So many variables than R26 makes it harder conversion. Worth it in the long run but it's taken me £600 of mapping and the cars making 340 ft/lb but with my setup should see 360 easy.

Will say I've driven both and the 250 engine is much better

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply..

Big change of plans, I will now be looking to sell the 250 engine instead. I won't bore you with the reasons why.

DM with any interest, I will have the loom, turbo, ecu etc.