rally group a and b

Isnt the b was the first? ( Yeah i know... abc .. .but stil)
All the legends was b isnt it? Or i mixed up.

Then its proper and boring[emoji16]

Last edited:
From wiki'

Group A was a set of motorsport regulations introduced by FIA covering production-derived vehicles for outright competition. In contrast to the short-lived Group B and Group C, the Group A referred to production-derived vehicles limited in terms of power, weight, allowed technology and overall cost. Group A was aimed at ensuring a large number of privately owned entries in races.

Group B was a set of regulations introduced in 1982 for competition vehicles in sportscar racing and rallying regulated by the FIA. The Group B regulations fostered some of the fastest, most powerful and sophisticated rally cars ever built and is commonly referred to as the golden era of rallying.[SUP][1][/SUP] However, a series of major accidents, some of them fatal, were blamed on their outright speed and lack of crowd control. After the death of Henri Toivonen and his co-driver Sergio Cresto in the 1986 Tour de Corse, the FIA disestablished the class, dropped its previous plans to replace it by Group S, and instead replaced it as the top-line formula by Group A. The short-lived Group B era has acquired legendary status among rally fans.

In short group A were more akin to their production derivatives.

I bet the current WRC cars even with less power than group B are quicker through the stages now due to chassis / suspension and tyre improvements

Yep so its as i thought . Thanks paul.
Bear in mind maybe today they are fasters but also easier to drive i think ..
Look how they used to wrestle the cars through the corners in the group b
Nowdays the cars barely slip lol

Last edited:
Yeah it's always Group B that people seem to look back on fondly... They always seem to mention how good the Group B cars sounded! It's a shame it was disbanded, but safety is the priority I guess....which seems like a contradiction to me - motorsport is never going to be completely safe!

Moved this to Motorsport forum btw.