Rear caliper pin seized...

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
Half way through replacing rear discs/pads and realise one of the pins on my rear caliper is not budging.

Any tips/tricks to get it moving?

I had a slide pin shear off and we had to use heat to release the slide pin from the hole, remove the calliper from the car to reduce the risk of fire. I don't know what tools you have or your abilities but you could buy the torch and a heavy duty vice grips or get a local private garage or car engineering firm to remove it. Get replacement pins and boots ordered and remove the rubber boots from both pins there will be a lot of heat and the torch needs to be powerful to keep the heat on the spot as it will soak away into the rest of the calliper.

upload_2018-4-5_10-57-41.png

forgot to mention it looks like someone has tried to drill into it in the past...

gAS3kYe.jpg

Might be looking at a new caliper?

Not sure how far that hole goes and what is at the other end, but could shoving a punch down there and giving it a whack maybe loosen it up?

I'm fairly limited with the tools I have and I really need to get the car moving again today. I can probably just about fit the caliper back on with new pads/disc. If I leave that pin stuck could it cause major damage to anything until I have the time to get it fixed?