Renault Clio Negative Image?

fezza555

Paid Member
Hey, so subject to collecting a Clio 200 on the weekend I have had lots of negative opinions from quite a few people, saying "why a Renault it will fall apart/ there rubbish". The general consensus has almost put me off from buying one, in a bid to avoid the whole " I told you so" if something does indeed go wrong. Turning the whole excitement of a new car into almost a chore! Do any other owners here this sort of thing? All thoughts and opinions welcome. Cheers :smile:

Car's go wrong, it's a given regardless of make or model. Perhaps in the past french cars weren't that reliable (someone correct me if i'm wrong) but it's not like that these days. A car will only look after you as much as you look after it in my opinion (that doesn't just mean servicing and fixing it when it breaks since prevention is the best cure). Someone's opinion on a 197/200 is only worth listening to if they've owned one and even then you should be careful as they may just be bashing the car because it wasn't what they expected. Test drive one, do your due diligence and make sure it's been taken care of. Do the above and you won't go wrong.

I been buying ford hot hatch's for years, then moved to jap cars(std). Ford rust and fall apart more than any car I've owned. Jap cars are good. But got to say I'm so impressed with clio so far. Just do it:smile:

Car's go wrong, it's a given regardless of make or model. Perhaps in the past french cars weren't that reliable (someone correct me if i'm wrong) but it's not like that these days. A car will only look after you as much as you look after it in my opinion (that doesn't just mean servicing and fixing it when it breaks since prevention is the best cure). Someone's opinion on a 197/200 is only worth listening to if they've owned one and even then you should be careful as they may just be bashing the car because it wasn't what they expected. Test drive one, do your due diligence and make sure it's been taken care of. Do the above and you won't go wrong.

My Saxo with 150bhp + 100hp worth of NOS was faultless. I owned it from 14 - 100'000 miles. Saxo's got a bad reputation because of the free insurance offer and 0% finance that attracted so many young owners. Ones who drove like twats and probably couldn't afford to service / maintain as needed. I never even had a single gearbox issue - and they had a seriously bad reputation. Even compared to Clio's. And that running 2.5 times more power than it was designed for......

My C2 Loeb was better still. Literally no problems (Barr a couple of droplinks) in 3 years of owning.

The Clio RS (Apart from cracked flexi pipes on manifold and the associated issues) has been more painless than i imagined to be honest.

I don't subscribe to the French-trash mentality. Being small, cheapish and lightweight - they of course may be more prone to some issues compared to other cars. I think the mentality of the real or perceived ownership (Young, rev-hungry, skimping on servicing etc MAY be more the issue. Not the cars themselves).

Personally I feel that if you look after a car it looks after you. I owned an Alfa Romeo for seven and a half years and only had a resistor on the aircon fail. It never broke down despite the rubbish reputation for unreliability. My Clio has been faultless in the 2.5 years I've owned it including 4 track days. Check for a good history on the car you buy. Above all enjoy it, they're a hoot to drive.

As said above, just buy the best one you can like buying any car lots of trash out there, forum owner cars can be a good way to get a cared for car. You also have to remember 197's and 200 are a few years old now. To be honest i would say I have driven brand new clios now and they really are not great to drive however interiors poor compared to competitors cars I imagine if i drove the mk4 200 the engine may change my mind!.

I have owned 2 lotus elise and an exige (lots of trouble usualy serious) and i never had any major issues.

Any car regardless of make can have an issue, my daily is a skoda octavia 2 years old and ive had 1 issue where a sensor had to be replaced - I know other people who had the same car with so many issues they returned them to the dealers and had full refunds...its all luck.

Plus as said above look after the car and they look after you!

Hey, so subject to collecting a Clio 200 on the weekend I have had lots of negative opinions from quite a few people, saying "why a Renault it will fall apart/ there rubbish". The general consensus has almost put me off from buying one, in a bid to avoid the whole " I told you so" if something does indeed go wrong. Turning the whole excitement of a new car into almost a chore! Do any other owners here this sort of thing? All thoughts and opinions welcome. Cheers :smile:

Had mine about 6 weeks and I haven't stopped smiling when I drive it. Also had the RAC out to the family Quashqi and he had a poke around said it was one of the only Renaults he'd want to own and they are generally good cars when you look after them. (Also mine was a good clean example). Shameless boast I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all positive responses! Has put my mind at rest, I will certainly give the car a thorough check over before I commit to anything and check the service history is all present. I have done a lot of research on the common faults etc so no exactly what I am looking for. It's good to hear so many positive responses from actual owners of the cars!

As said above, just buy the best one you can like buying any car lots of trash out there, forum owner cars can be a good way to get a cared for car. You also have to remember 197's and 200 are a few years old now. To be honest i would say I have driven brand new clios now and they really are not great to drive however interiors poor compared to competitors cars I imagine if i drove the mk4 200 the engine may change my mind!.

I have owned 2 lotus elise and an exige (lots of trouble usualy serious) and i never had any major issues.

Any car regardless of make can have an issue, my daily is a skoda octavia 2 years old and ive had 1 issue where a sensor had to be replaced - I know other people who had the same car with so many issues they returned them to the dealers and had full refunds...its all luck.

Plus as said above look after the car and they look after you!
@kevlar careful my 220T is just as good as my old 200 better in a lot of ways bud

The general consensus from people who actually know about cars is that the Clios, and RenaultSports in general, have amazing chassis and that there's very little to keep up with them through the twisty bits.
other than that, who gives a shit in all honesty. If you like the car then that's all that counts!

Reactions: Micah and Johnny 99
Great advice as usual. Read buyers guide, buy the best you can afford and service when due. Bought a brand new fiesta for the wife back in 2009 and it was back at the dealers 3 times in the first year for warranty work! My boss has a Audi RS6 that been back at dealers for numerous 'updates' as Audi don't use the recall word.

Reactions: nutnutwelshman