Renault Sport Clio 197 Racing Red

I'm not going for a dyno queen car. I would rather have 10% less bhp but 30% better(linear) torque curve (powerband). I went for a big(ger) turbo so that the Clio keeps his high revving character.

This is what I'm hoping for (key word: hoping :smiley:).

Last edited:
20161212_202455.jpg

Last week I had MOT done.
The seats, steering wheel and the gear knob have been sent for a leather retrim (should be done by the end of January).

Now it remains to drive the car, sort out any potential problems/issues and fine tune the car on the road/dyno.

The biggest problem is my lack of free time due to work. I don't even read the forum. :worried:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dystant
Was there any unexpected problems during the build? How long has it been since the car is completed?
Car looks great,real sleeper :smile:

Was there any unexpected problems during the build? How long has it been since the car is completed?
Car looks great,real sleeper :smile:
There are always unexpected problems with this builds that no one did before. :smiley:

And probably there will be some in the future. Have been running only for a few days now.

I wouldn't recommend this conversion unless you have a lot of money/time/patience. Swaps are definitely best in terms of simplicity and budget.
I went into this project because of my friends that have been ENORMOUS help/support - without them this project wouldn't exist.. And it all started with the damn nitrous and the lack of the nitrous controller. :smiley: They have suggested that I install a SA ECU so it would function as a nitrous controller and it would give some bhp more without the nitrous...and then someone had a great idea: "why not go for a soft turbo installation when you already have VEMS?"...and that was it - I was hooked. You know our saying in Croatian: "You don't have to say twice to a fool". :smiley:

It still remains to be seen how the car truly drives at full power and if something will brake (if the uprated clutch/gearbox will hold, what about the drive shafts etc.).

Still, I don't consider this project to be done. Given the amount of job to do and very little time to do it (and you need to calculate any "birth" problems that may/will arise) I expect/HOPE it would be 100% ready in the Spring 2017.
Or it will float in the Sava river. :smiley:

Yeah, I know but at least now you have forged engine which hopefully will be reliable at big power levels.
Are you still running high compression in your engine?

Znam,znam :tongueout:

I think that gearbox will probably be fine (depending on the torque level and curve) because there is a few meg'd Clios running stock gearboxes with no problems but I think that Meg's wider gear ratios suits turbo engine much better. Only thing I'm not sure about are those standing starts.

Are you planning to go on 402 street race with this car?
I'm very happy that someone here in Croatia has the balls to do this kind of build especially because it has been done only a few times and there is not much info around. Regarding the Sava river I hope this will not happen and you will not be disappointed with your car :wink:

No, I have lowered the CR. Using forged internals for Megane engine.

Yes, I plan to.
I street race every year with my Clio. It's still the fastest 197/200 in the HR SR scene.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

111.jpg

2015-05-09%2010.24.20.jpg

2015-05-10%2022.55.57.jpg

However, I expect the best results in rolling starts. It was built for rolling starts (TBH I'm a bit affraid of standing acceleration due to excess power/torque and the stress on the drive shafts when accelerating from 0km/h - I usually launch with the parking brake to minimize the stress) , and hopefully (depending on the torque curve) track day(s).

The plan is to get the car to:
- be reliable and drivable
- 100% (safe) power
- be fast

In that order. :wink:

Last edited:
What is your best 1/4 mile time?
I saw some of your videos on yt but I thought that you are no longer competing at 402 SR.

I've read many project threads regarding Clio 3rs and I think that I've never saw anywhere that someone had driveshaft failure but not many people are using C3Rs for drag racing, especially with much more power than stock cars have.

That is a smart way of thinking and I would do the same if I was you. I think that our cars don't need much more power but then again I don't do drag racing :tongueout:

Best official time that I consider real.is 14.5ET. HOWEVER, I had a 13.8x time timed at an official event but I consider it not realistic (I think it was equipment's fault).
That's with CSC3 tires.

Best unofficial time timed with G-Tech was 14.38ET. However, I don't usually mention that time when I'm asked because it's not timed with professional equipment.

I'm hoping for very high 12 or low 13ET with the current setup. Depending on the ability to launch the car. My Clio 200 gearbox is shorter in the first 3 gears than the 197, and I believe 197 gearbox is too short for this power.
We shall see...I already have contingencies. :wink:

Clio 197/200 is the worst possible car to drag race considering it's "weak" N/A and heavy by default.
But on B roads...a whole different ball game. :wink:

Yeah, I also think that 13.8 is a little bit "optimistic" but 14.38 sounds right considering mods you've had done and your shiffting skills (RSG :wink: ). Btw, this was done with a full weight car?

I think that Clio 200 gearbox is good for N/A cars but far too short in first three gears for a turbo car with a lot of torque and early 197 gearboxes like I have are complete fail.

I know that Renault tried to make 197 as safe as possible and all that but it is really too heavy. I think that if they made it 100kgs lighter it would be much better performing car in every aspect, especially in the straight line but you are right, even stock it can keep with much more powerfull cars on B roads :smile:

Reactions: FishFart