Rocas's Flame Red 220T (goodbye 201)

Thanks, will try to keep the thread up to date :smile:

f74a0bcs-960.jpg

Two days after I've been to TechnoRing, there was an event on Autodrom Saint-Petersburg. As they care about tarmac, they had tried to minimize usage of track itself(however, included a section with the speed trap), the stage was created using tractor mostly over the safety areas. Stage was a bit faster than previous ones and included much more sequences of turns(not sure about English wording here, I mean not turrn - long straight - turn, but turn-turn-turn) which allowed to use weight transfer in order to get a bit of oversteer without the handbrake.
a8920bcs-960.jpg
First attempt was waay to slow, second was faster. For the third I decided to go all-in, and it was so much faster than previous one that I finally felt that I know how to deal with this car. However, 5 turns before the finish I started to get tired and slow. And when the car found the grip on the exit of the turn, I wasn't able to return the steering wheel to the appropriate position. There was a deep snow, huge waste of time(RaceChrono logs show that more than two seconds were lost) and I was upset that I screwed up my best attempt. Two turns later I tried to re-gain what I had lost and carried to much speed in the turn. I was a bit off the trak, but noticed few trails in the deep snow and decided to point the car there...
Two huge bumps, and I feel that there is something with suspension/brakes

There is a thread:
http://www.clio197.net/forum/showth...th-ideas-car-moves-to-the-right-while-braking
Currently, the braking is good on the reasonable city speeds(my daily commute to work is a city only), but after 60MPH I need to brake carefully as car moves to the right.
Been to two local dealers. Alignment is good, braking forces are good, brake fluid changed, calipers cleaned. They say that suspension condition is exceptional. And no one can figure out what is wrong with the car.
Plan to visit the third one and try another braking forces and dampers check. Have no ideas what to do next.

PS realized that I really miss rally-style events, although I have never been good at such surfaces. Some 5 years before I used to have a Clio 1 16v, dedicated for such kind of racing. Right now I don't have neither garage to store and maintain such kind of car nor time to do it. However, still thinking about dedicated cheaper car for it.
For Clio, I plan to stop(not sure I will succeed when next announcement comes :wink:) visiting rough tracks like this, but start visiting frozen lakes when the ice is strong enough.

Last edited:
Still trying to figure out what's happening with braking.
Been to dealer one more time today.
They have checked dampers on the test stand. The dampers are absolutely OK.
They have checked brakes two more times. Cold brakes work ideal. Hot brakes have some issues, however, not that bad as I see in the real life.
However, I've finally found out that the higher brakes temperature is, the worse is their behavior, so it should not be a problem with suspension.
Was advised to start from changing discs and pads. Visual check of calipers will be performed as well, however, I don't think it makes sense here.

Well, it becomes a bit pricey, but I can live with that )

Finally, had a few chances to perform ice trainings. Either a set of brake discs and jack in the boot, or the grip after rally spikes(4.5mm), but now the car handles just like I needed
[video=youtube;YOKK_vvUxXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOKK_vvUxXM&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Sadly, it appears that the weather will not allow to train on ice safely this season.

Brakes are still not sorted, but hey, who needs brakes on ice? :001_unsure:

For some random reason, I've decided that I need to update this for the past 3 years. Not sure if it makes any sense, but wanted the history to stay here.
Basically, the car is running with zero issues and continues to serve as both daily and track day car. I'm travelling around slightly to visit nearby and not-so-nearby tracks in different countries(there are full lap onboards for every of these tracks on my channel if you'd like). Still not a ton of mods, howerver, there are some obvious ones.
The first one was the Quaife LSD which came right in time when the 3rd synchro had gone... A month after the warranty was over. There is now a local option called VAL Racing which is pretty good and way more hardcore in terms of pre-load, but I had a very good deal on Quaife and so installed it.
I would not say it drastically improves the lap times, but the feel is way better.

Moscow raceway
Some 500 miles from home, a 1T track has been build a couple of years ago. Configuration-wise I wouldn't say it is something excetional - but a generic Tilke-inspired modern track. However, it is a place where the big guys(say, WSR or DTM) do compete, so it feels quite exciting.

mrw1.jpg

mrw2.jpg

mrw3.jpg

Last edited:
Then came the Motopark Raceway in Finland. Despite it is in a different country, it is more than twice closer to my home compare to any other track locally.
There is a pretty cheap and comfortable way to stay nearby
motopark_stay.jpg

Compared to, sah, Ahvenisto, this track has less of an elevation change. Not to say, it is flat - far from it, but the Ahvenisto is ridiculously 3-dimensional. On other hand, it has other thing to like: speed. There are fast straights and fast corners - and there you wish having some more power under the hood.
A vid has been made by a pal in the white one.

Auto24ring, Estonia
Leaving aside the beauty of a northern sea, there is the track in Parnu. It is fast, safe and very cheap.
parnu.jpgAdditionally, they do rent out GT86 for 60 euro(sadly, with auto gearbox) so we had no choice.
parnugt.jpg

Then, it is a time for some very basic mods.
-Hankook RS-3 is exchanged for the Yokohama AD08R. Laptime-wise these tyres seem identical, but AD08R is so much usable and predictable in wet/cold...
-Ferodo DS2500 front. I'm not sure it is worth it to be honest. The initial bite is better and they last forever. But other than that, I was perfectly happy with stock pads and I've returned back to this choice as for now
-Poly engine mounts. I am not happy at all due to the vibration and sound, but the last set of new original mounts started to fall apart after 2 month of driving - which is not something I can live with.
poly.jpg
These ones can't be killed, but sometimes i think these ones can kill me J
-Brodit/proclip phone holder. Extremely handy compared to the typical ones
brodit.jpg

Ahvenisto, October 2016
Just love this little track
ahve_track.jpg

So much of an old-school narrow road with no run-offs!

The problem though is that in October it is quite hard to heat up the rear tyres to a reasonable temperature. I am okay with driving in wet/icy conditions, but it is way worse in this case: the front heats quickly and you have a grip there, but the rear does it, well, never. Given the proximity of the guard rails, this time I decided to leave the electronics on after giving it a try on a single lap full of unexpected oversteers in each and every corner.

Although, I was able to grab my first ever international prize - I was third in class after all

ahve_cup.jpg
ahve_band.jpg
Our band for that trip

ahve_nature.jpg
And just a beatuiful northern autumn

Did you goth a chance to compare your Qaiffe and the Val? Sounds interesting.
Yep. The white car on some pictures above does have VAL Racing diff and it is usually considerably quicker. But it's likely not the diff, but the driver =)

I've done a couple of laps with that car and... You know, it is just like with the blind audiophile test with a golden cable and a coat hanger. At least on a dry tarmac, the car is 100 identical to mine. I might try to imagine some behavior changes to pretend like a cool car journalist, but in reality i bet that in a blind test nobody will tell any difference :wink:
Theoretically, preload shall start appearing with less grip - like a wet or cold track, but we did not have a chance to compare in such conditions.

Reactions: Slowride
Only just seen this thread, Interesting to see something a little different on here. Keep the updates coming.
I might upset you a little bit, but I'm getting to less different stuff now )

So, in April 2016 my friends(which are huge fans of the 'Ring) convinced me that I should try it out. I wasn't that against, so we flew to Germany and I've done my first 4 laps between the snowstorms with this little beast:
00ring.jpg
Which was an awesome experience, expectedly.

All in all, 'Ring is an awesome place and one shall dream to take one's car there. Of course, it was the main topic of the upcoming winter. However, my dream was more ambitious. I have never been to Spa, but regardless, I am a huge fan of Spsa. So, my point was that either we are going both 'Ring and Spa or I'm not going. This resulted in a trip planned like this:
01eurotrip_map.PNG
Almost exactly 5000 km of joy.
02tunnel.jpg
After some humble preparations(fresh tyres, brake pads, liquids, not much else) - we took off early May through the Finland and a 29-hour ferry(luckily, with a free sauna).
03ferry.jpg

Then, 500 km of autobahns from late evening to afternoon throuhg a short stay - and we have arrived to our first destination. By "we" I mean two Clios and two BMWs: e36 and e46.
04undersign.jpg