RS Megane MK4

Ill still have an EDC box my friend

You love your auto matey, I would be really surprised if you wouldn't go for the EDC:smile:

I need to see one in the metal to be 100% convinced but I really think they've nailed the looks. Those wide arches are pure quality.

Still a bloody heavy car though but I suppose this is where we are at now with the big hatches.

One of our German community members got his Megane IV RS a couple of days ago. Which is a little strange as there currently is a delivery stop and already delivered cars have to stay at the dealers because it already has it's first recall (related to the brakes or rims?).

Unfortunately his car seems to be a "monday car" as we use to say and it has some quality issues. The paint is bad (a fly is sealed in the paint and there are some spots under the clear coat) and the A/C stopped to work shortly after he left the dealer. Booooooh!

/edit: Forgot to mention that the internal wheel arch cover in the left back is missing the screws and the plastic is scratching the rim now.

Last edited:
Reactions: peter
One of our German community members got his Megane IV RS a couple of days ago. Which is a little strange as there currently is a delivery stop and already delivered cars have to stay at the dealers because it already has it's first recall (related to the brakes or rims?).

Unfortunately his car seems to be a "monday car" as we use to say and it has some quality issues. The paint is bad (a fly is sealed in the paint and there are some spots under the clear coat) and the A/C stopped to work shortly after he left the dealer. Booooooh!

/edit: Forgot to mention that the internal wheel arch cover in the left back is missing the screws and the plastic is scratching the rim now.
:sleepy:

Not sure if this has already been posted but thought I'd put it up anyway as I can't see it on here. Pricing info from one of the Renault UK guys over on the Renault Sport forum.

Further info - Furthermore, as an introductory offer, if you order your vehicle in May and it is able to be registered by 31 August, you will get a free of charge cup chassis pack if you want it -- There's only a limited number available so will be on a first come first serve basis and on the Manual version only --check with your local dealer to find out more information

Z4MxdOL.png

Where are the reviews and head-to-head comparisons of this thing? All I can find is quick drives on some mountain roads and around Jerez. Is it still too early or what?

I’m kinda abit gutted about this one...

I just feel this was their opportunity to really go at the ‘very hot hatch’ market, and they’ve given it abit of a warm hatch feel.

If they had another model that was worth holding back for (ie think boxster/cayman/911 type thing), then I’d understand a 1.8t under the bonnet.
But I just don’t get it.

I love the look etc, but I just don’t get it [emoji19]

Reactions: ///M
I’m kinda abit gutted about this one...

I just feel this was their opportunity to really go at the ‘very hot hatch’ market, and they’ve given it abit of a warm hatch feel.

If they had another model that was worth holding back for (ie think boxster/cayman/911 type thing), then I’d understand a 1.8t under the bonnet.
But I just don’t get it.

I love the look etc, but I just don’t get it [emoji19]
They kinda have a Cayman of their own though, the A110.

They kinda have a Cayman of their own though, the A110.

Not at all what I meant haha

Asin, there’s no larger (similar) car that they need to wind the power down for.

Think Clio with 300bhp... would anyone buy a Mégane at 280bhp? Nope. So they’d need to up the power of the Mégane then. More expense.
Where as they keep the Clio at 200bhp, so it’s the slower/cheaper/smaller car. So if you want more speed/space etc then you buy the Mégane.

But the Mégane doesn’t have that problem.
If you want an A110, you’re buying it for a different reason.
You can’t fit your pushchair in, or your dog in the boot. It’s a different car completely.
So why not give it everything?

I know they save room for a trophy, but not a second of the 0-60 time, or 100bhp to match the A45.
Yes it’s all figures, but it’s all figures we look at.

Reactions: ///M
Not at all what I meant haha

Asin, there’s no larger (similar) car that they need to wind the power down for.

Think Clio with 300bhp... would anyone buy a Mégane at 280bhp? Nope. So they’d need to up the power of the Mégane then. More expense.
Where as they keep the Clio at 200bhp, so it’s the slower/cheaper/smaller car. So if you want more speed/space etc then you buy the Mégane.

But the Mégane doesn’t have that problem.
If you want an A110, you’re buying it for a different reason.
You can’t fit your pushchair in, or your dog in the boot. It’s a different car completely.
So why not give it everything?

I know they save room for a trophy, but not a second of the 0-60 time, or 100bhp to match the A45.
Yes it’s all figures, but it’s all figures we look at.

Oh, now I see what you're saying.

Let's assume the Trophy comes with 300-320 bhp. Having more power than that while remaining FWD would be a waste really, because it won't make it much quicker to 60. So they'll have to fit a AWD system adding weight, complexity and increasing the price in the process. Then they'll be against the Golf R, Focus RS, and the A45 both in specs and price. Those are not fun to be up against. Doing what they've done is a better strategy IMO. They've positioned it in a less crowded part of the market by focusing on driving dynamics and undercutting all of the above in price. To me it makes prefect sense.

Oh, now I see what you're saying.

Let's assume the Trophy comes with 300-320 bhp. Having more power than that while remaining FWD would be a waste really, because it won't make it much quicker to 60. So they'll have to fit a AWD system adding weight, complexity and increasing the price in the process. Then they'll be against the Golf R, Focus RS, and the A45 both in specs and price. Those are not fun to be up against. Doing what they've done is a better strategy IMO. They've positioned it in a less crowded part of the market by focusing on driving dynamics and undercutting all of the above in price. To me it makes prefect sense.

I see the point you’re making, but I don’t think they’re far enough away from that market to make it a niche market.

Golf R - £34k
S3 - £35k
Focus RS - £35k
Civic Type R - £31k
A45 AMG is a different price league to all of them and always will be.

All of the above come with most things as standard that you would want/need.
However, you HAVE to add the cup pack (at least) to any Mégane (I think most would agree), which adds £1500 to the list price.

That puts the Mégane at £30k for a manual, or £31k for an auto. Let alone adding AT LEAST £1k on for the trophy version. Taking it to £32k? Possibly.

That’s not enough distance from those cars to make it a different market.

I see the point you’re making, but I don’t think they’re far enough away from that market to make it a niche market.

Golf R - £34k
S3 - £35k
Focus RS - £35k
Civic Type R - £31k
A45 AMG is a different price league to all of them and always will be.

All of the above come with most things as standard that you would want/need.
However, you HAVE to add the cup pack (at least) to any Mégane (I think most would agree), which adds £1500 to the list price.

That puts the Mégane at £30k for a manual, or £31k for an auto. Let alone adding AT LEAST £1k on for the trophy version. Taking it to £32k? Possibly.

That’s not enough distance from those cars to make it a different market.
But why would you pay 32k for a Trophy i will not never pay screen money on my RS's

Last edited:
But why would you pay 31k for a Trophy i will not never pay screen money on my RS's

Same can be said for all the above?

Would you ever pay screen price for a VW?
Brand preference or not, deals are had on every marque. It’s no different because it’s a RenaultSport

@M19TNR If you have to add the Cup pack to the Megane some would say that you have to add adaptive dampers to the Golf.

Here in Sweden the base Golf costs 374000 sek and the non-cup Megane will cost 299000 sek, so 25ish percent difference. The Type R costs 340000 sek and the Ford is 394000. The GTI with only 230 bhp is just 15000 cheaper then the Megane. So it is very competitively priced here.

@M19TNR If you have to add the Cup pack to the Megane some would say that you have to add adaptive dampers to the Golf.

Here in Sweden the base Golf costs 374000 sek and the non-cup Megane will cost 299000 sek, so 25ish percent difference. The Type R costs 340000 sek and the Ford is 394000. The GTI with only 230 bhp is just 15000 cheaper then the Megane. So it is very competitively priced here.

I can only speak for UK prices, as they’re relative to myself.

But I have given the examples above, so maybe it’s a better buy for yourself living in Sweden.
But here in the UK, it places itself at the bottom of the same market. Not a different one.
As such, it’s not that big a jump to a different car in a better (arguably/subjectively) section of the that market.