Rust on tailgate - warranty claim

I've got the dreaded rust just under the rear wiper on the tailgate. Spoke with Renault customer service yesterday who said they haven't got anything noted with regard to this issue. I forward them a link about the number of cars on here that have had the same issue. She said that was strange cause the rust would be applicable to all Clios it that was the case, and they haven't had this complaint. I explained how the dealership batted me away cause they are saying if the car has not been serviced at Renault, and the bodywork checked at the service intervals, the body work warranty is invalid. I went on to say, that dealership said that I could have had it checked by them outside of having it serviced but I would have had to pay £60 each time.

I do think like the number of recurring issues e.g. Recaro seats wear, the forum could be more proactive in putting pressure on Renault given the members it represents, if nothing else highlighting these problems.

So, can I ask all those who have rust in the same place, or had it repaired, add their names to the list. This way when the manager at Renault customer services rings me by Thursday, I can highlight this as a problem, and forward the names and regs later. Could save you £300 or at least get Renault to make a contribution towards the costs.

1. Litchy

Last edited:
1. Litchy
2. Bangbangbenny
3. Goose

they've already acknowledged and repaired my damaged last year! Correspondence saved, too.

Mine has the slightest bubble.

It's due to the rear screens being mounted too low and becoming a water trap. It is known to them, it doesn't seem to be as prevalent on later cars as a result. It's in the same place on every car that suffers from it, it is a process/manufacturing defect and it's as simple as that. But it isn't a structural part of the car as such and isn't a safety issue so I'm unsure as to what they're liability is or of they'd even acknowledge it because the usual mum in the street who just drives to work and back in her 1.2 would probably never ever notice it...

If your car is out of warranty you have contacted RCS you are going through right way about it. Did your dealer take any photos if not take some yourself and send them to RCS/your dealer just make sure you include a pic with your milage/reg/problem. They then should be able to assess if it's a corrosion claim.

1. Litchy
2. Bangbangbenny
3. Goose
4. academic
5. Yiannis

I contaced my extended warranty for some other bits and pieces and I popped the question just to screen their response. The guy I spoke with told me that even though Renault says 12 years warranty, when it comes to a claim - and as Litchy said - they will expect to see that the car has been inspected for corrosion every time it was serviced.

I didn't have the chance to call them yet but I'm planning to call them tomorrow.

Goose I take it that yours was done outside warranty right?

Yeah. But within the corrosion warranty.

I took it to the garage, where they took a few pictures and sent them off to Renault UK. Every few days I'd get an update from the garage until eventually Renault agreed to sort it (with an external bodyshop, mind).

No hassle really

edit, no mention of any corrosion checks.

I've had warranty work on the tail gate but it was bubbling on the underside, you could only see it when tail gate was open.

I get the feeling if Renault admit to anything being a regular problem (like a gear box say) they'd have to sort out a recall process. hence the denial.

My old Clio went in for this, but was covered under the anti-perforation warranty.

1. Litchy
2. Bangbangbenny
3. Goose
4. academic
5. Yiannis
6. deadmau5
7. poru376289

I thought the warranty being void if you don't have it serviced by the car makers dealership was found to be illegal under European law a few years ago. Hence you can have your car serviced anywhere as long as they follow the manufactures recommended procedures. So what would the Renault dealer find that you couldn't via a visual inspection of the exterior of the car? Complete carp!

Mine has got same problem

1. Litchy
2. Bangbangbenny
3. Goose
4. academic
5. Yiannis
6. deadmau5
7. poru376289

8. Ellis

Same problem here. Had it resprayed under warrantly last year. Has started bubbling again so I spoke to the bodyshop that did it and its going back next week.

1. Litchy

2. Bangbangbenny
3. Goose
4. academic
5. Yiannis
6. deadmau5
7. poru376289

8. Ellis
9. DanB720

I'm not on the list for some reason, updated...

1. Litchy
2. Bangbangbenny
3. Goose
4. academic
5. Willis
6. Yiannis
7. deadmau5
8. poru376289

9. Ellis
10. DanB720

I thought the warranty being void if you don't have it serviced by the car makers dealership was found to be illegal under European law a few years ago. Hence you can have your car serviced anywhere as long as they follow the manufactures recommended procedures. So what would the Renault dealer find that you couldn't via a visual inspection of the exterior of the car? Complete carp!

The Renault dealer wouldn't find anything that you couldn't, but the anti-perforation warranty is not the same as the warranty that covers mechanical failure. The body work checks are done as part of the annual service at the Renault garage (i made my dealer stamp the part of the service book each time it was serviced by them). The European ruling does not apply to this as far as i understand it, as parts are not being replaced, only a visual inspection being done to ensure that the anti-perforation warranty remains valid.