Scotland holiday

Chris

Bad cop
Hiya guys,

Me and the GF are thinking of having a weeks break in Scotland in may/early june next year.

Just looking for some advice really (particularly from you Scottish folk :kilt:) about what to do, where to visit, what is a must too see?

We are thinking of travelling up and having 2 nights in Edinborough first, then perhaps over to the loch lomond national park? It will be 7/8 nights.

Really are very open to help/suggestions!

Many thanks :smile:

@Sean197
@Johnny 99
@LOCKE

and any more that might help me :smile:

Edinburgh is a good call though hotels can be pricey. Do visit the castle & if you're there at 1.00 lunchtime you can watch the guy fire the 1 o'clock gun on the battlements. There's an underground city that's been built over called Mary Ann's close or something like that which is interesting to visit & the camera obscura is worth a look. You get panoramic views of the city from there & there are lots of interesting optical illusions to see. You can also visit the former Royal Yacht "Brittania".
Loch Lomond is beautiful & you should head up the A82 to Glencoe which is a beautiful drive. If you're on the mood there's a nice drive around Argyll to Inverary.

Reactions: Jimmy and Chris
Edinburgh is a good call though hotels can be pricey. Do visit the castle & if you're there at 1.00 lunchtime you can watch the guy fire the 1 o'clock gun on the battlements. There's an underground city that's been built over called Mary Ann's close or something like that which is interesting to visit & the camera obscura is worth a look. You get panoramic views of the city from there & there are lots of interesting optical illusions to see. You can also visit the former Royal Yacht "Brittania".
Loch Lomond is beautiful & you should head up the A82 to Glencoe which is a beautiful drive. If you're on the mood there's a nice drive around Argyll to Inverary.

thanks johnny

Good chance ill have my dads car, will be a lot of stuff and don't want to clonk motorway miles on mine!!

Although I don't have the knowledge that Johnny has of Edinburgh, I can also recommend it. I went up there a few years ago for a couple of nights, we stayed in an apartment/hotel, which was pretty reasonably priced. Lovely city, plenty to see and the castle is well worth it.

I also went up to the North Coast with two dudes off this forum - we had a good laugh and made some great memories :smile:

Reactions: Pav and Chris
Although I don't have the knowledge that Johnny has of Edinburgh, I can also recommend it. I went up there a few years ago for a couple of nights, we stayed in an apartment/hotel, which was pretty reasonably priced. Lovely city, plenty to see and the castle is well worth it.

I also went up to the North Coast with two dudes off this forum - we had a good laugh and made some great memories :smile:

Thanks jimmy.

Them two guys sound like a proper pair of legends, in my humble opinion!

Reactions: Pav and Jimmy

late to the party but yeah..great memories..think this is a sort of a thing you wont forget,right?

Reactions: Jimmy
late to the party but yeah..great memories..think this is a sort of a thing you wont forget,right?

Absolutely mate. One of the best holidays I've ever had - I was in my element driving those roads and spending time with two good friends :thumb::jimmy:

Reactions: Pav
Get a self-service apartment near Leith in Edinburgh then take advantage of the great restaurants, hotels are extortionate. As above make sure you see the castle, but I'd recommend one of the ghost tours of the Old Town - you'll see them signposted on the Royal Mile, properly scary.

Ok Chris if in Edinburgh as said visit the castle, the zoo is quite good and the do one of the ghost tours that's a must. From Edinburgh I would then come to Glasgow, brilliant shops (Buchanan Street), science centre is good for a rainy day and also next to it is the riverside (transport) museum also if it's your thing Kelvingrove art gallery. From Glasgow to Loch Lomond go to the Balmaha side where the West Highland Way (walk) passes through then backtrack to Balloch where you can get a boat trip up the Loch. The Lodges on the Loch are a nice (expensive) place to stay. Form Balloch I think for me it's a must you travel up the A83/82 to Inveraray brilliant roads and scenery up the 'Rest and be Thankful'. Visit Inveraray jail and the castle which is still lived in by the Duke of Argyll. On the way back down if you like seafood pop into the Loch Fyne Oyster bar. I'm only 45/60 mins away from Loch Lomond and they are so many nice roads around this area, Aberfoyle over the Dukes Pass (challenging road) to Callander which would take you on to Stirling which again has a castle, safari park and near by is Bannockburn where the Wallace Monument is. If you were heading down to Ayrshire a trip on the ferry to the Isle if Arran is nice. Sorry if I've rambled on a bit!

Similar Thread Suggestions