Scotland holiday

Ok Chris if in Edinburgh as said visit the castle, the zoo is quite good and the do one of the ghost tours that's a must. From Edinburgh I would then come to Glasgow, brilliant shops (Buchanan Street), science centre is good for a rainy day and also next to it is the riverside (transport) museum also if it's your thing Kelvingrove art gallery. From Glasgow to Loch Lomond go to the Balmaha side where the West Highland Way (walk) passes through then backtrack to Balloch where you can get a boat trip up the Loch. The Lodges on the Loch are a nice (expensive) place to stay. Form Balloch I think for me it's a must you travel up the A83/82 to Inveraray brilliant roads and scenery up the 'Rest and be Thankful'. Visit Inveraray jail and the castle which is still lived in by the Duke of Argyll. On the way back down if you like seafood pop into the Loch Fyne Oyster bar. I'm only 45/60 mins away from Loch Lomond and they are so many nice roads around this area, Aberfoyle over the Dukes Pass (challenging road) to Callander which would take you on to Stirling which again has a castle, safari park and near by is Bannockburn where the Wallace Monument is. If you were heading down to Ayrshire a trip on the ferry to the Isle if Arran is nice. Sorry if I've rambled on a bit!
ALL OF THIS! Also Bannockburn is where the English got their butts whipped by the Scots & they don't want us to forget it! Still reference it when they sing "Flower of Scotland" as the anthem at sporting events - sending proud Edwards army home to think again! If you time it right they re-enact the battle there which is something I would like to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and Sean197
thanks johnny

Good chance ill have my dads car,
It doesn't matter what you're driving Chris, the scenery is awesome, as good as you'll find anywhere in the world. As Colin said Inverary Old Jail is well worth a visit & you'll enjoy the drive there too. Mate, I love Scotland! I moved here 17 years ago and it's the best thing I have done apart from marrying my (Scottish) wife. I am of Scottish descent on my mother's side, but honestly that's nothing to do with it. The weather isn't as bad as it's painted either!

Reactions: LOCKE and Pav
What an interesting read this has been. I’ve never been to Scotland and never had any interest in it either. This post has changed that, thanks guys!

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Chris
Done the route 500 and can confirm that the scenery is amazing and I didn't see much of it...so can imagine there is so much too see..thanks for sharing

The West coast is where most or the tourists tend to go, while the East coast is mostly deserted. Midgy season, is from around the middle of June, to middle of October. Midgys are found, on Damp/windless days. If there is wind/bright sunshine, there are no midges.If you walk the moors, wear suitable clothing, as ticks are everywhere this year. The roads north of Inverness, up to Wick/Thurso, are stunning,BUT, beware of Deer/wild sheep, particularly during the hours of darkness.As far as I know, no one has been killed by a Midge, but 82 people died in Scotland last year, due to hitting animals of one sort or another.

Reactions: Chris
A huge thanks for all, given me some serious researching to do here! Really appreciate it guys :smile:

Don't think we will be going north of inverness, been up there and it was fantastic but does add a lot of miles on the return leg, and would like to spend as little time as possible having to drive back down!

Reactions: LOCKE
What an interesting read this has been. I’ve never been to Scotland and never had any interest in it either. This post has changed that, thanks guys!
Seriously @Micah I look on to the Campsie Fells which lead on to the Trossachs, if I'm looking for a run on the bike then 9/10 I'm up there at Aberfoyle and Loch Lomond. To me it's just taken for granted but Scotland on a good day is stunning. The last time up at Oban I was a passenger and took in all the scenery. I do enjoy Fife and regularly go up to Cupar and St Andrews. The west coast is good if you want to travel to the islands. The road down to Campbeltown in Kintyre is really good and fast.

If you're going to Glasgow, go here - http://bloc.ru/ - and get the Irn Bru-infused pork sandwich. One of the most amazing things I've ever eaten! The chef is called The Mad Chef (look him up on YouTube) and he comes up with some wacky but amazing food.

If you're going to Glasgow, go here - http://bloc.ru/ - and get the Irn Bru-infused pork sandwich. One of the most amazing things I've ever eaten! The chef is called The Mad Chef (look him up on YouTube) and he comes up with some wacky but amazing food.

Wow! I've seen, but not yet tried Irn Bru sausages. I miss have to try them now. Had Irn Bru ice cream once in a nougat wafer, but it was bought by my wife & she combined it with mint chic chip. Now that was a weird combination.

Reactions: Sean197
Wow! I've seen, but not yet tried Irn Bru sausages. I miss have to try them now. Had Irn Bru ice cream once in a nougat wafer, but it was bought by my wife & she combined it with mint chic chip. Now that was a weird combination.

I've added a video above, he does a cheeseburger with bacon and Buckfast jam lol

Reactions: Johnny 99
I can only agree with what has been said about Edinburgh. I took a coach of Gloucester fans up for the Rugby Challenge Cup Final back in May, I laughed off what the other driver said about scenery but boy was I proved wrong. It's absolutely breathtaking up there and I can't wait to take a car up, something I'm planning on doing with friends next year.

We stayed right in the centre at a Travelodge, everyone was really helpful and breakfast was decent, along with the fact we were just off the Royal Mile. Ate at the Burgers and Beers Grillhouse one night on the Royal Mile, I struggle to believe you'll find a better burger anywhere in the country..

Edinburgh is great for a walk too, me and the other driver who went up spent nearly the whole of our day off walking around, soaking up the great scenery and atmosphere. Edinburgh > London. 100%

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean197 and Chris
fort william , glencoe pass roads are awesome and the scenery is mind blowing didnt know it was so nice up there.
can go down the road from skyfall aswell :shocked:

loch ness isnt far either and the bridge from harry potter is pretty close if you want to do some attractions,
You can climb Ben nevis if your up to it ,

I will be going back when i get my hands on another 200

loch ness isnt far either and the bridge from harry potter is pretty close if you want to do some attractions,
You can climb Ben nevis if your up to it ,

I will be going back when i get my hands on another 200

Don't think the Mrs will be up for climbing a mountain lol! However Loch Ness is pretty certain :smiley:

Irn Bru infused pork sammich?
Burger with bacon and Bucky jam?

WANT!!!

Worth the trip alone, even before you take into account the stunning scenery and great people there.

Similar Thread Suggestions