Scotland holiday

There are Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express & Travelodge in centre that may be slightly better value. For Hogmanay (New Year) when prices are even more expensive (!) I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Dunfermline which isn't too far from Edinburgh & motorway to outskirts of city. Much cheaper. Parking near castle may be difficult but city centre isn't too big for walking or you can get a 24 hour pass on one of the open topped bus tours that go to all the attracions. Hop off whenever you get to so something you want to see & get on the next bus to arrive once you've seen enough. A good way to see the city too.

There's a Holiday Inn next to the zoo that isn't always expensive. Parking at zoo too & it's only around 45 minutes from Dunfermline if you take that hotel option.

Reactions: Chris

This is the place I stayed at Chris when I went up there - ours was the Grove Executive branch. Really well placed for everything, walking distance for most of it and close to the centre: shops, restaurants etc. It also had a secure car park, which could solve your problem of where to leave the motor... Well priced too, and the room was excellent (self-catering).

Reactions: Chris and Johnny 99
This is the place I stayed at Chris when I went up there - ours was the Grove Executive branch. Really well placed for everything, walking distance for most of it and close to the centre: shops, restaurants etc. It also had a secure car park, which could solve your problem of where to leave the motor... Well priced too, and the room was excellent (self-catering).

Cheers bud!

Was surprised looking into it this morning, even despite seans warnings lol!

Big bump!

So we are in Edinborough for 2 nights, then over to loch lomond for 2 nights, then up to fort william, then loch ness, then staying at glasgow with GF's family friends and back down! going to be a lot of driving and might even entertain putting the mrs on my insurance for a week!

Thanks for all the help!

There’s free parking at the airport where you can get the tram into the centre. There’s also a premier inn at Edinburgh Park, which is on the tram journey in. Not sure of prices or if the car park allows overnight parking, but I’m guessing the premier inn does. A day ticket on the tram / buses was £3.60 just before Christmas, not sure if it’s gone up in the new year. Edinburgh Park is about 20 minute ride into the centre. Edinburgh Park is just off the bypass too, so easy to drive to. Edinburgh Park only a 10-15 drive to the zoo too. The Zoo is a good bit of exercise too, it's built on the side of a rather steep hill.

Parking in the centre is terrible, the wardens are well known for their productivity! There is a car park in Castle Terrace directly below the castle. From memory, it’s quite expensive.

The Dome in George Street is worth a visit for a drink, it’s stunning.

George Street also full of some great shops. Princes Street is really looking a bit tired now for shopping.

Chez Jules and Bar Napoli in Hanover Street are both great restaurants and not too expensive either. Have a look at reviews and menus online.

Some amazing roads, the A82, A84 and A85 are beautiful roads. Rannoch Moor and Glencoe are out of this world.

If you’re driving through Tyndrum (which I think you will be) and fancy a bite to eat, stop at the Real Food Cafe rather than the Green Welly. Their food is amazing and won loads of awards. Not expensive, it’s just a road side cafe, but outstanding food and lovely staff.

If you’ve got time, it’s worth taking the steam train from Fort William to Mallaig and back. It takes you over the Glenfinnan Viaduct, made famous by the Harry Potter films.

Have an amazing and safe trip.

The A84 and A85 don’t have fixed speed cameras as far as I’m aware, but do have lots of mobile units. These roads are favourites for bikers and are given their fair share of speeding enforcement.

Last edited:
There’s free parking at the airport where you can get the tram into the centre. There’s also a premier inn at Edinburgh Park, which is on the tram journey in. Not sure of prices or if the car park allows overnight parking, but I’m guessing the premier inn does. A day ticket on the tram / buses was £3.60 just before Christmas, not sure if it’s gone up in the new year. Edinburgh Park is about 20 minute ride into the centre. Edinburgh Park is just off the bypass too, so easy to drive to. Edinburgh Park only a 10-15 drive to the zoo too. The Zoo is a good bit of exercise too, it's built on the side of a rather steep hill.

Parking in the centre is terrible, the wardens are well known for their productivity! There is a car park in Castle Terrace directly below the castle. From memory, it’s quite expensive.

The Dome in George Street is worth a visit for a drink, it’s stunning.

George Street also full of some great shops. Princes Street is really looking a bit tired now for shopping.

Chez Jules and Bar Napoli in Hanover Street are both great restaurants and not too expensive either. Have a look at reviews and menus online.

Some amazing roads, the A82, A84 and A85 are beautiful roads. Rannoch Moor and Glencoe are out of this world.

If you’re driving through Tyndrum (which I think you will be) and fancy a bite to eat, stop at the Real Food Cafe rather than the Green Welly. Their food is amazing and won loads of awards. Not expensive, it’s just a road side cafe, but outstanding food and lovely staff.

If you’ve got time, it’s worth taking the steam train from Fort William to Mallaig and back. It takes you over the Glenfinnan Viaduct, made famous by the Harry Potter films.

Have an amazing and safe trip.

The A84 and A85 don’t have fixed speed cameras as far as I’m aware, but do have lots of mobile units. These roads are favourites for bikers and are given their fair share of speeding enforcement.

Fantastic thank You!!!!

Sounds like you have a nice trip lined up mate, should be fun! As Pav says, hopefully it'll bring back some good memories to mind! Won't be the same not camping though :wink:

We've booked a few days in Fort William in April, using that as a base to travel around the area a bit. She is definitely not going on my insurance though!

Sounds like you have a nice trip lined up mate, should be fun! As Pav says, hopefully it'll bring back some good memories to mind! Won't be the same not camping though :wink:

We've booked a few days in Fort William in April, using that as a base to travel around the area a bit. She is definitely not going on my insurance though!
She?

Reactions: Jimmy

Similar Thread Suggestions