Shims?

Rishi

Platinum Member
Does anyone know where to get shims? I heard there are RS ones available?

My rear aligment is out & its either a new rear axle (£600exvat) or shims

nice one mate, but can't seem to find anything there though, i click on clio r3 and the pop up window doesn't go anywhere

ive got it open now, any idea where they are in there?

Last edited:
i think it was google chrome, it works on net explorer... just can't find the shims anywhere there...

hopefully someone on here will know the part numbers

edit: just found this:

7711160169 CLIO III REAR TOE SHIM 1 £18.80
7711160170 CLIO III REAR TOE SHIM 30 £18.80
7711160171 CLIO III REAR TOE SHIM 20 £18.80
7711160172 CLIO III REAR TOE SHIM 10 £18.80
7711160173 CLIO III REAR CAMBER SHIM 1 £18.80
7711160174 CLIO III REAR CAMBER SHIM 30 £18.80
7711160175 CLIO III REAR CAMBER SHIM 20 £18.80
7711160176 CLIO III REAR CAMBER SHIM 10 £18.80

im gonna take this to the alignment centre with the print out of how much it was out & see what i need to do...

Last edited:
Yeah the RS site is rubbish, Internet Explorer seems to work... sometimes. :/

The part numbers are indeed correct.

Since I've done this on my car, and there isn't a lot of info on the subject regarding the 197/200, a few observations:

Shims do indeed work fine, they are easy to install and if you 're obsessive about perfect 4-wheel alignment I highly recommend them!

A post-installation pic:

shim1.jpg

Unbolting the axle and moving it around gives you a clearance of 3-4' tops. Also, sadly its not permanent.

Keep in mind that if you plan on using more than 2 shims per side you will probably need longer stub axle bolts.

any idea of the size of the bolts needed?

as discussed in our pm's im probly going to have 3 shims on my n/s/r to get it right so should anticipate having to get new bolts on at the same time

You don't need 3 shims on the n/s/r side. You just need two: 1 degree toe in shim & 10' camber shim. :wink:

The standard bolts will be fine :wink:

lol yeah i get it now, cheers :wink:

considering the n/s/r is out by 1 degree does that mean the axle itself could be bad enough to need replacing or is 1 degree not that bad?

maybe bringing the toe in by 1 degree will effect the camber aswell so no need for two shims

Last edited:
Cheers, managed to find a number for them, the shims are now £27.50 before vat, should have em in a couple weeks as they weren't in stock

Be interested to head how you get on, mine isn't far out IIRC, and is within tolerance, but depending on the complexity I might try to get it closer to spec.

Its really easy, you just undo 4 bolts, insert the shim between axle and stub and reinstall bolts and torque them up. The only thing you need to remove is the wheel (obviously!) and you also need to disconnect the abs cable (you don't want to pull the stub accidentally and break it).

Id make sure to have a 18mm ratchet spanner to make this job easier, i had to borrow one but will definitely be buying one for next time i change the rear shims, just makes it that much easier, also be prepared for the axle bolts to be very very tight!

I think ill have to readjust again as after doing my rear shims i've ended up with more toe in than i should have (adding negative camber seems to affect the toe in) going to be trial & error i think, spending a few £ at the alignment centre for reports :001_rolleyes:

After some reading it seems some toe in on the rear can have some benefits in the corners (more traction on the exit) so im thinking being 5-10' over the maximum toe in (0,31') guideline for rear toe in isn't too bad & could even be a little bit helpful

Last edited: