197: Slight knock on throttle let off? - VIDEO ADDED

have you checked your top mounts yet, i put big thick washers on the centre pin to make sure the nut was tighten up to the rubber, as ive heard the end of the thread can finish in line with the rubber so when tightening up its actually tightening to the end of the thread rather than the rubber of the mount.

What size socket is needed to get the top of the mount off? My socket set is metric and when I went to take them off last time I couldn't find anything that fitted.

I had mine checked yesterday for the cold knocking. That was the third garage by the way, the mechanic sprayed some grease/lubricant to the top mount and as of magic the knocking disappeared completely. I didn't even have to replace the bloody top mount, it just shut itself up.

Now, I know that you have already changed the top stabilizer but maybe greasing the bushes that your friend suggested will help? Just wondering because I had a seriously loud knocking and I was impressed by the fact that it stopped with a bit of grease.

Again, as Ryan suggested, have you got the washers for the suspension top mounts fitted?

I know this is for clio 2 but it shows that the problem is quite common...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-C...arParts_SM&hash=item1e6d18e63a#ht_2961wt_1165

Last edited:
I've had that problem on a 172 Cup before and semi fixed it with washers I made. Will have a look if I can find a socket that fits?

be careful what you spray or put on the rubber bushes....they can go soft and deteriorate quickly with petrolium based products

as for the bolts on the 197/200 they should be metric sizes!

Maybe my socket wouldn't fit in the space and I didn't have a spanner the right size, I don't remember.

Last edited:
well mate i picked me car up today and the knocking was gone. however it warmed up quick so im guessing it hadn't long since been out. will try properly in the morn.your still having no look i see, you manage to sort anything today?

well mate i picked me car up today and the knocking was gone. however it warmed up quick so im guessing it hadn't long since been out. will try properly in the morn.your still having no look i see, you manage to sort anything today?

Happy for you then! What did you have done today exactly?

inner rack arm on drivers side. but im not expecting it deffinately sorted till i test it from cold tomorrow.

inner rack arm on drivers side. but im not expecting it deffinately sorted till i test it from cold tomorrow.

I had the passenger side one done. Going to check out my top mounts over the weekend if I get time. Got to rebuild my Supermoto first though.

them yammy 450s are awesome mate. like i say i will post in morning and let you know if it has totally gone. i know your knock sound like it on the passenger side but could your driver side one be the key?

them yammy 450s are awesome mate. like i say i will post in morning and let you know if it has totally gone. i know your knock sound like it on the passenger side but could your driver side one be the key?

Yeah its a beast :smile: My knock is defo on the drivers side, but the only thing that was even slightly worn was the inner rack on the passenger side. Hopefully will either rule out strut tops or find the problem over the weekend, either way I'll be one step closer.

ye with a bit of luck this will be the lucky weekend. if you get no luck just get a big mother trucking hammer and smack everything in yout way

well we still have knocking :whatever: so the inner rack end aint made no difference. so back to renault it goes.

haha ye thats true. going to get my mechanic to have a look again tomorrow maybe then get it sent back asap. you manage to get a look at yours today?