smell of petrol in the cabin

everynow and then i get a really strong smell of fuel in the cabin of the car,its lats all off 2 mins u get a very strong wiff of petrol and then the smell goes and i have notice over the past month or 2 that he car seems to be eating more fuel than it used.
now i know the car isnt leaking petrol and no stains or wet patches are left on the garage floor over night.

Could this be down to ****ty spark plugs??
reason for my asking is that before germany back in easter, i did a mini service on the car, plugs and oil change and so on, but on the way back from germany at easter, there was a strong smell of petrol in the car and we put that down to me filling up about 5-10 mins before and me standing in the stuff and got it on the carpets.

but i have got this smell more times since then i belive its something

help, any ideas??

...had a similar problem on the boy's 206....one of the fule injector nozels was faulty....found out for sure when he brought the car back wirth petrol p*****g out of the engine and serious missfire....so might be worth checking them out...make sure the lines are connected correctly.....don't aske me where the injector manifold is though...never looked in my 197 engine unless I checked oil etc!!

run it on your drive give it some revs and see if there is any leakage it doesnt take much to make a smell, and if it's stationary it may not leak. check fuel lines injectors etc, more than likely it's under the bonnet and coming in through the ventilation. i cant imagine it's from the tank unless a vent pipe side not sure if these have a vent pipe perhaps someone can answer that

...there may be a chance you've disslodged an injector line when doing the spark plugs! If they are anything like the 206, they will just push fit!!

run it on your drive give it some revs and see if there is any leakage it doesnt take much to make a smell, and if it's stationary it may not leak. check fuel lines injectors etc, more than likely it's under the bonnet and coming in through the ventilation. i cant imagine it's from the tank unless a vent pipe side not sure if these have a vent pipe perhaps someone can answer that

evap system is closed-loop so fumes should be vented back to the engine on start up

could be a weeping fuel injector/rail connection - you shouldnt be able to smell petrol....there is deffinately something wrong with it

Last edited:
^ cheers Foxy i'm only good with mini's if it's not in the engine it's the tank breather pipe has come off and when the windows are open it creates a vaccume in the cabin and pulls the fumes in from the boot.

evap system is closed-loop so fumes should be vented back to the engine on start up

could be a weeping fuel injector/rail connection - you shouldnt be able to smell petrol....there is deffinately something wrong with it

It only happens now and then, and never happened before I did the mini service, I got no power loss and the car is running like a dream, so I can't think of anything else, I've got no back firing and no leakage either

if it was a mis-fire or plugs the engine warning light should come on as that is part of the emission standards monitoring system

the injectors and fuel rail are under the top part of the inlet manifold - you need to look while someone switches the engine on - as this happens the fuel pump will prime the fuel rail and injectors - it could leak a small amount of fuel as the fuel pressure peaks just before the pump switches off - it does this as it only runs when the engine is running as a safety messure

thing is with petrol it will evaporate away and there will be little evidence of it happening - but you shouldnt be able to smell it so something is wrong and needs checking out......you dont want it going up in flames !