Smoke From Steering Wheel Help

Hi all, not a sport but just a regular 2011 clio tourer but thought I'd ask for advice. I was driving home last night and out of nowhere, smoke started pouring from the steering wheel. I got out and switched the engine off. I turned it on a minute later to limp the final mile home and had no more smoke.

This morning I've removed the wiper stalk module from the steering column and inside its all melted. Before I took it out, it all worked except the control to engage with washer jets. The wipers worked, the audio controls all worked too which is promising.

I've ordered a replacement part, no other damage seems obvious. I just started the car without the wiper stalk module and there's no visible faults. The only issue now is that while the part is removed, my lights stalk doesnt work at all. Am I right in thinking the 2 stalks are connected by a wiring loom?

Video here:

Thanks in advance.

Wow, that was quite horrible. I hope that stalk was only part damaged.
Keep us updated was it fixed with new stalk.

Hi guys, got a replacement dirt cheap from a scrap clio today. Actually in amazing condition, not a mark on it and no signs of any issues inside. I've fitted the part and everything works absolutely fine. Disaster avoided! Cheers

Lewis

Reactions: sevenfourate
Hi guys, got a replacement dirt cheap from a scrap clio today. Actually in amazing condition, not a mark on it and no signs of any issues inside. I've fitted the part and everything works absolutely fine. Disaster avoided! Cheers

Lewis

Lucky boy !!!

"Congrats" and well done you............ :smile: