Spacers

Just been having a conversation about these, with a fellow owner who has H&R 25mm all round.

They are hub centric and they make his car look so aggressive. It's made my mind up. (I've been advised to go down the hub centric route, rather than longer bolts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hubcentric is on the left and non hubcentric is on the right.

YYlVh2O.gif

Basically, hub centric are safer as they sit on the hub lip and provide a lip for the wheel to sit on.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Just been having a conversation about these, with a fellow owner who has H&R 25mm all round.

They are hub centric and they make his car look so aggressive. It's made my mind up. (I've been advised to go down the hub centric route, rather than longer bolts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK this post confused me !

You can get ones that bolt to the hub or ones that use longer bolts. Depends on the manufacturer.

Yea this.

I think there's two terms out there for hub-centric. 1 for the supporting lips and self locating / centralising part as above.

And 2 for the spacers bolts to hub: Wheels bolt to spacer meaning.

Reactions: Greg0986
Just do a stud and nut conversion and use normal slip on spacers from Pure Motorsport... Safest way!

Although in my opinion 25mm spaces the wheels out far too much.

Reactions: A1axx
Must admit I don't like spacers at all. Better getting the correct offset wheel.

But if you run spacers (and Chris does) I would do as suggested above use a hubcentric slip on spacer (say Bimecc) and use studs and nuts.

I wouldn't be happy with the bolt on type - you basically have 10 wheel nuts holding your wheel on !!!

Anyone notice any negative handling effects of spacing their wheels? Or positive, for that matter!

Anyone notice any negative handling effects of spacing their wheels? Or positive, for that matter!
Hardly any difference that I've noticed, although not been on track with them so only fast road experience. Still feels just as planted

Must admit I don't like spacers at all. Better getting the correct offset wheel.

But if you run spacers (and Chris does) I would do as suggested above use a hubcentric slip on spacer (say Bimecc) and use studs and nuts.

I wouldn't be happy with the bolt on type - you basically have 10 wheel nuts holding your wheel on !!!

Luckily the previous owner thought the same as you and me no that's the route he went, have to agree, which the amount to worry about with the other method!

I think this is all down to personal preference really.

I used to run 30mm a side spacers on a MK2 Clio, and I prefer having the bolt on type.

Yes your correct in stating you have 10 bolts per wheel, but in my eyes that means more bolts to take the loads on therefore sharing the compression and stress on a shorter length, increasing the tensile strength of each bolt.

If I had 5 longer bolts to me that seems more risky as you increase the length of the bolt you increase how much it can flex therefore putting the stresses up and lowering the tensile strength.

I think it's all subjective and opinion based unless someone wants to do some sort of strength testing to prove which is better personally.