Spacers

I ran extended bolts on hub centric on a Clio V6, KW V3's and OZ Ultraleggra track wheels - slight scrub but that was ride height - nothing else.

Sold it on a few years ago, but if you google the reg ***cringe alert*** V6 6EXY you will find her.

Think the next owner added lots of yellow. Like exhaust hangers (to an exhaust I developed with K Tec whom I bought the car from) and did god awful pressed black plates etc.

SPW_0027.jpg
V66EXY_1349896447.jpg

Any pics of the V6 on Ultras? Bet that looked great!
Yup - above^^^^ thats not me in the top c before any jumps up saying "Thats -~SpeedyGaz88~- from Clio Sport forum blah blah blah".

However I owned it for a few years and completed the transformation/expensive bits

Yup - above^^^^ thats not me in the top c before any jumps up saying "Thats -~SpeedyGaz88~- from Clio Sport forum blah blah blah".

However I owned it for a few years and completed the transformation/expensive bits

I had a google. It looks absolutely superb on the Ultras. Very nice V6 indeed!

I think this is all down to personal preference really.

I used to run 30mm a side spacers on a MK2 Clio, and I prefer having the bolt on type.

Yes your correct in stating you have 10 bolts per wheel, but in my eyes that means more bolts to take the loads on therefore sharing the compression and stress on a shorter length, increasing the tensile strength of each bolt.

If I had 5 longer bolts to me that seems more risky as you increase the length of the bolt you increase how much it can flex therefore putting the stresses up and lowering the tensile strength.

I think it's all subjective and opinion based unless someone wants to do some sort of strength testing to prove which is better personally.

I take on board every thing you state and I'm no bolt expert so cant comment on the stresses of 5 bolts / studs v 10

To look at it another way I prefer to have 5 bolts / studs inserted into a steel hub where i can easily check if they are tight

With the bolt on spacer you have 5 studs inserted into an alloy material which claims to be a high grade alloy (made and supplied by the cheapest supplier !!) which may only be 15mm thick and to check if the spacer is tight you have to remove the wheel

As you say its personal preference (but it would be good to get the maths done to see which is the best mechanically)

Reactions: stevef175
Just as a matter of intrest how much of the spacer is left of the spacer when the hole and the counter sinking is done to accommodate the bolts to bolt them on? On a 15mm or 20mm spacer is it much?

Just as a matter of intrest how much of the spacer is left of the spacer when the hole and the counter sinking is done to accommodate the bolts to bolt them on? On a 15mm or 20mm spacer is it much?

Only Eibach do 20mm. You won't find lower of that type. Most companies only do them in 25mm and over.

I take on board every thing you state and I'm no bolt expert so cant comment on the stresses of 5 bolts / studs v 10

To look at it another way I prefer to have 5 bolts / studs inserted into a steel hub where i can easily check if they are tight

With the bolt on spacer you have 5 studs inserted into an alloy material which claims to be a high grade alloy (made and supplied by the cheapest supplier !!) which may only be 15mm thick and to check if the spacer is tight you have to remove the wheel

As you say its personal preference (but it would be good to get the maths done to see which is the best mechanically)

I can agree with where your coming from, guess it depends on who you buy from, being in engineering myself I know what grade of aluminium to look for, and most of the newer types use steel threaded keen inserts for bolting into.

I had this issue on my 30mm spacers which were the bolt on type, back in the day, where the thread in the spacer was only aluminium and got a bit worn. What I did was converted the spacers into a stud kit so I wouldn't ever have to take them back out.

Eibach do make 15mm bolt on spacers (seen them on Fords)

Depends on how much thread you get with them I guess but I don't think they're available for the Clio, if they were, I wouldn't use them as that seems like very little thread in them.

Just googled failures! Some of those are seriously frightening, saying that seems that most are the bolt on type! Buts as also mentioned, depends on the quality of what they are made from too.

TBH if I was going to be really hammering it on they would be coming off, fine at normal speeds but I still have doubts even with the type I prefer!

I just check the torque setting on mine from time to time to make sure, been fine every time thankfully.