Squeak/squeal from rear ns when turning left...

Barney626

Winner - POTM December 2017
So fairly sure this is a common issue but I cannot for the life of me find a thread on it anymore.

As of today I'm getting a squealing/squeaking when I go round a left corner.

Coming from the outside of the car on the near side. Fairly sure from the rear wheel. Sounds like it squeaks everytime the wheel goes round once.

Only happens when turning left at any speed above 20mph ish. (It isnt when I turn the wheel, just going round the corner).

Any ideas? Loose hub nut on the brake disc?

I used to get this all the time, it stopped after I had the rear pads taken out and cleaned up.

What condition were your calipers in? Could they be sticking?

Very possible, my rear off side was seized when I took it off but fairly sure the noise is coming from the other side.

I'll try slowly tapping the brakes next time to see if it goes but fairly sure it isnt the brakes.

Until I can try that, what else could it be?

Gonna have the car in a garage tonight so I can look at any other suggestions for what this could be...

Ok so this is a bit of an embarrassing one but hopefully someone might learn from it in future...

Realised I'd left the protective backing on the rear of my new pads, took that off and it seems to have stopped making the noise.... :oops:

Ok so the noise seems to have appeared again.

Looking for more ideas on what to check...

Nope bit of paper with a clear glue like film under it.

ah ok

have you made sure the small handbrake levers are fully back when handbrake is off?
have the piston been wound back enough so when the pedal was pressed the pistons had to take up the gap?
the top spring on the pads is sat right in the top of the caliper?
handbrake cables free?
have you fitted new pads to worn discs - if yes then you may have to chamfer the edges of the pads?

Reactions: Beany
ah ok

have you made sure the small handbrake levers are fully back when handbrake is off?
have the piston been wound back enough so when the pedal was pressed the pistons had to take up the gap?
the top spring on the pads is sat right in the top of the caliper?
handbrake cables free?
have you fitted new pads to worn discs - if yes then you may have to chamfer the edges of the pads?

Will check handbrake/piston windback/pad spings on saturday when I have time to.

Fitted new pads with new discs. Brembo pads came with chamfered edges and fitted to pagid discs.

Just given the little clips that go ontop of the pads a clean and put a good helping of copper grease on the edges of the pads to see if that helps...