Steering Wheel Trim Recommendations?

Rishi

Platinum Member
Hey guys,

The perforated leather on my steering wheel has been coming off in bits for the last year or so, almost all of it has peeled away leaving another layer underneath and it actually looks ok, but it's gone all sticky to the touch and needs replacing. I'll likely go via royalsteeringwheels and just wondering what's a decent trim to go for?

I have an Albi blue 197, not too bothered about the stripe @ 12 o'clock and thinking either full alcantara w/blue stitching, or perforated leather sides w/alcantara top. How does their perf leather hold up compared to Renaults? Is Alcantara a good idea?

Thanks for any tips! :smile:

I have a perfect Clio GT steering wheel I used when mine got recovered it's a 197 steering wheel with not stripe and Steve Murr on the forum is selling a very good 197 steering wheel and how he describes it is what it is I bought Recaros and a 200 leather interior and did not even have to inspect the goods he is at bluewater it was handy to me when I was ay BrandsHatch.

Can you post a pic of the GT wheel please? I couldn't go for an original 197 wheel as I know it would eventually flake.

At the moment I'm thinking full alcantara as I bet it's lush to the touch. I'm also trying to contact snappy at cliosport as it looks like he does some beautiful work.

Last edited:
Yea sure but the GT wheel is made of the same material as the 197 wheel so will go the same way the thing I don't like about recovered wheels are they look so fat after and I like the original zig-zag stitch instead of the band. Here is a picture of a Clio GT steering wheel not the one I have I will have to dig it out from behind the seats in the store room but you can see what's it's like now I'm not sure if I will sell it now but there is no wear or marks at all I could pass it off as new.
upload_2018-1-4_12-38-45.png

Yeah I'm going with them or snappy, I'm just wondering which style of trim holds up well over time?

The perforated leather looks great but I'm not sure if it's similar to Renault's leather which blisters after a few years.

Yeah I'm going with them or snappy, I'm just wondering which style of trim holds up well over time?

The perforated leather looks great but I'm not sure if it's similar to Renault's leather which blisters after a few years.
The perforated leather on Royalsteeringwheels is a much better product than original

Reactions: Rishi
Had my wheel in since September, absolute class above standard. Perforated leather feels robust and comfortable.

Reactions: Rishi
Another vote for Royal here, I had mine done in alcantara a year ago and can't fault the quality of the work

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Cheers, as much as I like the perforated leather look I may go for full alcantara, will post some pics once it's done either way.

I had a full alcantara retrim by Jack at Royal and have to say it felt like the real deal. Would always choose it over leather if I was in the position to do it again.
da216adb18ed891c445387dbe7add3f2.jpg

Reactions: Pav and Rishi
Very nice. Is that dark grey alcantara? It blends well with your interior, could be those leather recaros :wink:

Yes, the dark grey alcantara with silver stitching to match the Recaro’s. Black would make it look very odd against the plastic trim.
The seats were very special but have to say the Mk4 ones are very supportive!

I had perforated leather on the sides and smooth leather top/bottom from royal steering wheels:

PjgL1mS.jpg
fhmagw7-jpg.116925

Havent had it for ages but it still looks amazing. I wanted to have the OEM+ look going on so avoided alcantara.

Last edited: