Strange rattling noise while accelerating (3k - 5k rpm)

So here I am with another possible issue. I'm starting to love french cars :smile:

If I press the pedal down and accelerate, I can hear a throaty rattling sound. It stops around 4k - 5k rpm, maybe even less. It sounds a bit like grinding metal and also as if 2 systems are synchronising.

Seems that this guy has had a similar issue:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/funny-noise-when-accelerating-hard-in-low-gears.98760/

I am not sure if it's also doing it while stationary, I will check tomorrow.

I have checked engine mounts, heat shields, it's not one of those things.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I had a similar rattle mine was were the manifold meets down pipe(middle of car) there's a exhaust clamp that looks like a sleeve mine was lifting abit so added a new one. Possible gear box mount causeing engine to rock a little more

Is it a standard exhaust and is it blowing at all? If so Check your centre silencer just had to have mine cut out as the welds had gone on the box and was rattling on the pipe.

Reactions: RossWoods93
Is it a standard exhaust and is it blowing at all? If so Check your centre silencer just had to have mine cut out as the welds had gone on the box and was rattling on the pipe.

I second this! Had the exact same noise mentioned here, and the weld was completely gone!

Rewelded, problem solved.

fd257e9be03274ebb63e18a18d74e08b.jpg88d10d22256e7affc8eb9feaf51adadd.jpg

Reactions: DuD3